• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

1 hour ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Whole family had it back in December... except me!  5 negative swabs over 3 weeks, 3 negative antibody tests... beats me how I couldn’t catch it...  Kids were fine after 2 days.  Wife had mild flu symptoms for about a week but didn’t have taste smell back for almost a month.  Only odd long term thing so far has been hair loss.  My wife has been losing an unusual amount of hair recently and another female coworker of mine who had it around the same time said she literally has handfuls of hair falling out daily.  This whole virus is just so weird... 

https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/hair-loss/causes/covid-19

3 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Whole family had it back in December... except me!  5 negative swabs over 3 weeks, 3 negative antibody tests... beats me how I couldn’t catch it...  Kids were fine after 2 days.  Wife had mild flu symptoms for about a week but didn’t have taste smell back for almost a month.  Only odd long term thing so far has been hair loss.  My wife has been losing an unusual amount of hair recently and another female coworker of mine who had it around the same time said she literally has handfuls of hair falling out daily.  This whole virus is just so weird... 

Thanks it must have been @Thinksnow18 family that got the bad symptoms? That a weird symptom with the hair loss. I've had fever many times with no hair loss. It is unique to covid.

I get my 1st shot April 10th at UB and my 2nd on May 1st. I'm getting sick right now, I really hope this isn't covid. I think its sinus a infection, I get sick this time of the year nearly every year. No fever, just bad sore throat, feel weak, and sinuses clogged. Taking lots of zinc, vitamin D, apple cider vinegar, lots of tea, slept 3 hours after work and going to bed early tonight.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Looks like we're plateauing. Hospitalizations and ICU are rising.

Working in hospitals I can tell you that upstate NY is in a better spot.  Most HCP’s are vaccinated, morale is picking up, units are getting back to normal, etc..  we are on the right trajectory.  Pray it keeps up and pray everyone gets vaccinated.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Got a strep and covid test both negative. Had a fever of around 100 for last few days. Its a sinus infection. There are still other illnesses besides covid out there! I get this every March when the seasons change. I wonder what I am allergic to outside?

Somethings go around now.  Lot of people at work having “seasonal allergies” and I think a stomach bug might finally be going around.   Didn’t really see a lot of people getting seasonal colds and flus this winter until now.  I’m always good for 2-3 bad sinus infections every year, knock on wood haven’t had one since January 2020, can’t say the masks don’t work... The first nice day out I did have an allergic reaction after being out doing some yard work.  Bad rash and hives on my arms, legs, and neck.  Some Benadryl and cordizone cream cleared me up.

On the COVID topic had a coworkers son (late 30s no underlaying issues) fall rapidly ill today.  Woke up and went to work feeling fine.  Started feeling weak and spiked a fever at lunch time.  Left work got a positive rapid test went home and collapsed.  Got rushed to the hospital and is on a vent in the ICU.  Just crazy how a healthy young guy can go from being fine to in the ICU in 12 hours. I think we’re gonna start seeing a spike again soon.  

Somethings go around now.  Lot of people at work having “seasonal allergies” and I think a stomach bug might finally be going around.   Didn’t really see a lot of people getting seasonal colds and flus this winter until now.  I’m always good for 2-3 bad sinus infections every year, knock on wood haven’t had one since January 2020, can’t say the masks don’t work... The first nice day out I did have an allergic reaction after being out doing some yard work.  Bad rash and hives on my arms, legs, and neck.  Some Benadryl and cordizone cream cleared me up.

On the COVID topic had a coworkers son (late 30s no underlaying issues) fall rapidly ill today.  Woke up and went to work feeling fine.  Started feeling weak and spiked a fever at lunch time.  Left work got a positive rapid test went home and collapsed.  Got rushed to the hospital and is on a vent in the ICU.  Just crazy how a healthy young guy can go from being fine to in the ICU in 12 hours. I think we’re gonna start seeing a spike again soon.  

Yeah I think mine is some kind of upper respiratory virus. The doctor said its the common cold, technically a coronavirus, but not covid 19. I always have terrible allergies around this time of year, really hoping for some rain tonight. That story is crazy, that is why along with other research I've decided to get the vaccine. I don't want any long haul covid issues.

What do you do for your sinus infections?

59 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

What do you do for your sinus infections?

High dose Sudafed to unplug and drain it all out.  If it persists more than 2 days or hits my chest I call the dr for an antibiotic.  Mucinex to clear it out.  Lots of water hot tea raw local honey soup.  Warm mist vaporizer and vicks rub at night.  Actually quit smoking when covid started and I know that always made my sinus infections x10 worse.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

High dose Sudafed to unplug and drain it all out.  If it persists more than 2 days or hits my chest I call the dr for an antibiotic.  Mucinex to clear it out.  Lots of water hot tea raw local honey soup.  Warm mist vaporizer and vicks rub at night.  Actually quit smoking when covid started and I know that always made my sinus infections x10 worse.  

I was taking sudafed the last 10 days and overnight one night it got me. I have been doing everything you've said except mucinex. Going to try that.

11 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I was taking sudafed the last 10 days and overnight one night it got me. I have been doing everything you've said except mucinex. Going to try that.

It does help.  Just ask your dr or the pharmacist which one to get, they make like 30 different kinds of mucinex now and every one does something a little different depending on your specific ailment.  

• Thanks 1

Word of advice for anyone recovering...take it easy. I thought I was back to 100% Wednesday so I got a shoulder workout in. Somewhat light weight compared to normal, and shoulders are usually my easiest workout. Woke up with the worst migraine yesterday morning, was completely drained and dehydrated. Going to try some light cardio later today and see what happens.

22 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Word of advice for anyone recovering...take it easy. I thought I was back to 100% Wednesday so I got a shoulder workout in. Somewhat light weight compared to normal, and shoulders are usually my easiest workout. Woke up with the worst migraine yesterday morning, was completely drained and dehydrated. Going to try some light cardio later today and see what happens.

Yeah you'll have to take it really easy for awhile. Fatigue is the symptom that usually last the longest, at least a few months. 

8 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah you'll have to take it really easy for awhile. Fatigue is the symptom that usually last the longest, at least a few months. 

Watch Cam Newton come back next year and tear it up...I couldnt imagine playing any sport at a high level right now.

53 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Recovering from second dose of the vaccine or actual covid?

23 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Watch Cam Newton come back next year and tear it up...I couldnt imagine playing any sport at a high level right now.

The Pats loaded up on players this year, I still think hes done as a QB. But yeah my cousin had covid and couldn't walk up to the stairs without being out of breath for months after. 

On 3/26/2021 at 10:41 AM, Luke_Mages said:

Actual covid. Syptoms started last wednesday.

How have you and wife been feeling? Did you guys get a fever at all? My fever is gone and coughing up loads of green/yellow mucus the last few days. Enough to fill about a trash bag worth lol. Usually this happens at end of sinus infection, so hopefully back to normal in next few days.

On 3/25/2021 at 3:10 PM, BuffaloWeather said:

Got a strep and covid test both negative. Had a fever of around 100 for last few days. Its a sinus infection. There are still other illnesses besides covid out there! I get this every March when the seasons change. I wonder what I am allergic to outside?

The end of winter...

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

How have you and wife been feeling? Did you guys get a fever at all? My fever is gone and coughing up loads of green/yellow mucus the last few days. Enough to fill about a trash bag worth lol. Usually this happens at end of sinus infection, so hopefully back to normal in next few days.

Yep, both had fevers of 100. I think I'm back to 100, I've resumed my workouts with no issues. Lifting lighter weight than normal to be safe and cardio was consistent in HR with what I did before. My wife is still feeling exhausted but we cant figure out if that's just work related stress or not.

36 minutes ago, gmendevils8204 said:

More distraction tactics to help Cuomo?  This seems inevitable across the country (especially in blue states) but the timing is curious.  

Probably more to do with the giant deficit looming with people/businesses fleeing NYC.

• Like 1

The vaccine passport is a joke, and it could be the first step in this country never recovering to pre covid times. Unfortunate. 9/11 changed this country so much with the security measures put in place, covid is going to change this country even more. You're going to need a vaccine passport to go to bills/sabres games, to concerts, to travel. This world has gone insane, people die...we all will. Let us live with the short time we have on this amazing planet. 

• Like 3

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic