• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

12 hours ago, Syrmax said:

I hear ya, its def not the same without the crowd. Soccer crowds are way more impactful then american football crowds on the whole as they are way more active, so its disrupted a lot of dynamics that we usually see.  It's really noticeable for my team, Borussia Dortmund, in Germany, as they have the largest average attendance of any soccer team in the world and have the Yellow Wall in the south end of the stadium, which is a HIIT cardio workout to watch a match there.  The game atmosphere is wild, tickets inexpensive and so is the Bier!  And you don't see the asinine drunken behavior that American football fans bring (looking at you Bills fans).  Tickets hard to get for inside the Wall itself, but i try to get there to see them every year.  Following on tv with fan noise piped in just makes me sad.

Bills tailgates are the greatest thing on this planet. You haven't lived until you've been to one. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Bills tailgates are the greatest thing on this planet. You haven't lived until you've been to one. 

Just the videos that I've seen of those tailgates blows my mind lol.  I can only imagine what it's like in the flesh.  Buffalo has such great fans.  If any fan base deserves to see a Super Bowl one day, it's theirs.  Ditto for the Sabres and the Stanley Cup.  Even though I'm a Devils fan, I kind of adopted Buffalo as my second team in the late 90's.  I loved watching Hasek play and their team reminded me of Jersey's at the time.  Not a ton of stars offensively but very gritty and determined.  One of my favorite sports memories is seeing Brodeur and Hasek pitch a double shutout at the Meadowlands two days before Christmas in 1996.  It wasn't a boring game either.  Both of them made great saves and there were plenty of scoring chances.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, gmendevils8204 said:

Just the videos that I've seen of those tailgates blows my mind lol.  I can only imagine what it's like in the flesh.  Buffalo has such great fans.  If any fan base deserves to see a Super Bowl one day, it's theirs.  Ditto for the Sabres and the Stanley Cup.  Even though I'm a Devils fan, I kind of adopted Buffalo as my second team in the late 90's.  I loved watching Hasek play and their team reminded me of Jersey's at the time.  Not a ton of stars offensively but very gritty and determined.  One of my favorite sports memories is seeing Brodeur and Hasek pitch a double shutout at the Meadowlands two days before Christmas in 1996.  It wasn't a boring game either.  Both of them made great saves and there were plenty of scoring chances.

Yeah Brodeur is an all time great. You guys have had a great team back then with Stevens. How many cups did you win 3? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah Brodeur is an all time great. You guys have had a great team back then with Stevens. How many cups did you win 3? 

Yes, 1995, 2000 and 2003.  Could have been four or five Cups but they lost a heartbreaker to the Rangers in the 1994 conference finals (Messier's guarantee and Matteau's double overtime series winner).  Then Ray Bourque and the Avalanche beat them in the 2001 Final when the Devils were up 3-2 in the series and could have finished it out at home.  No complaints though.  I got to watch some great hockey over the years.  Scott Niedermayer was a tremendous d-man also.  Killed me when he went to Anaheim but I was happy for him when he won the Cup with his brother out there.  

17 hours ago, WNash said:

You’re totally right on this. 100% of one party and 99% of the other party exist mainly to give rich people everything they want. COVID is a classic example of crisis capitalism.

I don’t understand why you’re so anti rich people. Anyone who works their asss off in this country can climb to whatever income level they want. Jeff bezos was by no means born rich. Is legislation being passed to prevent another Jeff bezos or Elon musk? I grew up on public assistance and I don’t remember any rich people getting in the way of me getting to where am at. Instead I worked for a few who without I wouldn’t be where I’m at in my career. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

I don’t understand why you’re so anti rich people. Anyone who works their asss off in this country can climb to whatever income level they want. Jeff bezos was by no means born rich. Is legislation being passed to prevent another Jeff bezos or Elon musk? I grew up on public assistance and I don’t remember any rich people getting in the way of me getting to where am at. Instead I worked for a few who without I wouldn’t be where I’m at in my career. 

Completely agree.  There are so many opportunities these days, especially with the power of the internet.  I don't understand why success is demonized so much.  Some make the argument that the rich don't pay enough in taxes as a way to give back to the society where they became successful...but you can also ask why the government can't live within its means.  How many of our tax dollars do they waste on nonsense?  It seems like government is often a bottomless pit of inefficiency run by faceless, unaccountable bureaucrats.  People in the private sector have to produce and react quickly to the market or they'll be replaced and driven out of business.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

I think his point is there comes a point where wealth becomes an issue even with me. The guy is worth 200 billion, yet young children don't have access to clean water, shelter, and food. That should never happen in the richest country on the planet. Even if he gets 50% of his wealth taken away, he's still worth 100 billion, thats insane and unnecessary wealth. There are only so many homes and lambos you can buy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I think his point is there comes a point where wealth becomes an issue even with me. The guy is worth 200 billion, yet young children don't have access to clean water, shelter, and food. That should never happen in the richest country on the planet. Even if he gets 50% of his wealth taken away, he's still worth 100 billion, thats insane and unnecessary wealth. There are only so many homes and lambos you can buy.

Take that $100B and evenly distribute it around the worlds poor. It’s a drop in the bucket, what maybe $12 a person? Even if you took all of the money from the worlds richest you’d simply deflate the value of the money, all of the poor would be competing against each other to buy the same limited resources. 
I understand that thought process, but it’s not as easy as saying redistribute the wealth. Plus, if I’m going to work my ass off only to have my money redistributed then what’s the point?

16 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Take that $100B and evenly distribute it around the worlds poor. It’s a drop in the bucket, what maybe $12 a person? Even if you took all of the money from the worlds richest you’d simply deflate the value of the money, all of the poor would be competing against each other to buy the same limited resources. 
I understand that thought process, but it’s not as easy as saying redistribute the wealth. Plus, if I’m going to work my ass off only to have my money redistributed then what’s the point?

According to the latest Fed data, the top 1% of Americans have a combined net worth of $34.2 trillion (or 30.4% of all household wealth in the U.S.), while the bottom 50% of the population holds just $2.1 trillion combined. (or 1.9% of all wealth).Oct 8, 2020

You wouldn't be giving every person a distribution of that money. Under 18/21 wouldn't qualify. 

You'll still be far better off than those that don't work. It's still worth it. 

20 trillion gives 200 million americans a million dollars each. Unless my math is wrong? 

56 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

According to the latest Fed data, the top 1% of Americans have a combined net worth of $34.2 trillion (or 30.4% of all household wealth in the U.S.), while the bottom 50% of the population holds just $2.1 trillion combined. (or 1.9% of all wealth).Oct 8, 2020

You wouldn't be giving every person a distribution of that money. Under 18/21 wouldn't qualify. 

You'll still be far better off than those that don't work. It's still worth it. 

20 trillion gives 200 million americans a million dollars each. Unless my math is wrong? 

Few issues here. 

Maths wrong, it would be 100,000 each. 

Also, the inflation that would be caused. Basically $1M wouldnt be worth $1M anymore. 

In addition, most of that number is tied up in stocks and property. How do you liquidate a $20M mansion when you took all the resources from the people who can afford it? Or force all of America to have an equal share of stock in Tesla or Amazon?

My point is there is literally nothing stopping you from building the empires that Bezos or Misk have. The system works better here than most of the world. Not without its problems, but better than most. 

33 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Few issues here. 

Maths wrong, it would be 100,000 each. 

Also, the inflation that would be caused. Basically $1M wouldnt be worth $1M anymore. 

In addition, most of that number is tied up in stocks and property. How do you liquidate a $20M mansion when you took all the resources from the people who can afford it? Or force all of America to have an equal share of stock in Tesla or Amazon?

My point is there is literally nothing stopping you from building the empires that Bezos or Misk have. The system works better here than most of the world. Not without its problems, but better than most. 

Would there be inflation if they invested the money into the market? Most of the money is tied up in the stock market. Lets make it easier to invest for the average everyday citizen. Maybe give them a monthly stipend that is invested directly into an ETF and can only withdraw after 59 1/2? With pensions gone, most people my age are not saving nearly enough to retire. We need something else in its place. Most wealth is directly related to money in the market and real estate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Would there be inflation if they invested the money into the market? Most of the money is tied up in the stock market. Lets make it easier to invest for the average everyday citizen. Maybe give them a monthly stipend that is invested directly into an ETF and can only withdraw after 59 1/2? With pensions gone, most people my age are not saving nearly enough to retire. We need something else in its place. Most wealth is directly related to money in the market and real estate. 

Sounds like social security just with better returns...

I do believe that universal income will become a reality in mine and your lifetimes do to the advances in automation. How much and how it’s distributed will be the question. 

Fauci is very much considering lowering the 6ft rule to 3ft. A recent study of 251 Massachusetts school districts showed no difference in Covid related cases of infection between the 2 distances while wearing masks. So there is now overwhelming evidence of low #’s of transmission in schools and the 6 ft rule seems to be the curtail to opening schools fully. Thus needs to be lowered immediately so school kids can get back where they belong, in school, amongst friends in a social and educational environment 

48 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I have to admit that I have been shocked by the lack of spread within my wife’s/kid’s elementary school.  Elementary has been full day, every day since early September and the middle/high school has been hybrid.  Despite many cases in the school throughout the year, there hasn’t been one instance of it spreading from kid to kid (or teacher).  Every known case has been obtained through family/community spread, then that specific class quarantines for 10 days.  There has not been even one additional case in any quarantined class.

I’m amazed by this.  I really thought they would be back home to remote learning by October 1 but I missed the call on that one!  This tells me that the spread can be controlled by basic measures if people actually follow it.  They are using 6ft spacing and wearing masks when not at their desk.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, winter_rules said:

I have to admit that I have been shocked by the lack of spread within my wife’s/kid’s elementary school.  Elementary has been full day, every day since early September and the middle/high school has been hybrid.  Despite many cases in the school throughout the year, there hasn’t been one instance of it spreading from kid to kid (or teacher).  Every known case has been obtained through family/community spread, then that specific class quarantines for 10 days.  There has not been even one additional case in any quarantined class.

I’m amazed by this.  I really thought they would be back home to remote learning by October 1 but I missed the call on that one!  This tells me that the spread can be controlled by basic measures if people actually follow it.  They are using 6ft spacing and wearing masks when not at their desk.  

That sounds pretty much exactly like mine as well. Things have been doing really well! Plus, the flu has been absent with all these precautions. Not sure I want to continue wearing masks forever though to avoid it.

57 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

That sounds pretty much exactly like mine as well. Things have been doing really well! Plus, the flu has been absent with all these precautions. Not sure I want to continue wearing masks forever though to avoid it.

Absolutely not. I never want to see a mask again once the mandates are lifted.

• Like 1

I've taken around 10 Covid tests due to work making me taking them when getting in contact with those that tested positive and the one nurse that tested me say there is no other illnesses anymore, just covid. She says its insane, this graph seems to make that true. Things weren't really that different here the last few months. I don't care how effective the masks are, this is a joke.

New York sees 97% fewer cases of the flu this season compared to last

image.png.6850e023651469168ccd0b1331b56249.png

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/local/new-york-sees-97-fewer-cases-of-the-flu-this-season-compared-to-last/71-1739760e-7565-42dd-a846-5453509f4597?fbclid=IwAR1R65jAkt3kd7fJ7X2rmMsb-cGOCoaoB8O2LbMC-Jc2Fc86ickI5f2vgf0

7 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Thoughts on the Bills moves so far? I wish we restructured Brown instead of Sanders. 

I think they knew Brown lost a step after his injuries. 

Also, has any other subscriber to this thread gotten covid yet or am I the first? 
Have no idea how I caught it. Mostly feels like the flu except the loss of taste and skin hypersensitivity which I read is a rare but documented symptom. 

1 hour ago, Luke_Mages said:

I think they knew Brown lost a step after his injuries. 

Also, has any other subscriber to this thread gotten covid yet or am I the first? 
Have no idea how I caught it. Mostly feels like the flu except the loss of taste and skin hypersensitivity which I read is a rare but documented symptom. 

I think @SouthBuffaloSteve and his family got it? My manager got it 2 months ago and she still has no taste and no smell.

• Like 2

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic