• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

6 hours ago, WNash said:

It sounds like he has the world’s worst tenants. How do you even need big TVs sent to you every week?

Bad tenants aside, does he have more than 10 rental properties? If not, he qualifies for mortgage relief. And if his lawyer doesn’t know that or can’t challenge a false attestation, he’s a bad lawyer.

It sounds to me like he has the US average tenant.  

I’m genuinely perplexed by those who lean hard to either side of the political spectrum.  Thinking that most people just need a little boost to get past a little bad luck is ignorant and blatantly ignores the fact that most people will do as little as possible in most circumstances.  It is often highly educated people who land on the “left” side of the spectrum which makes no sense to me.  

Then you have the people far on the “right” who think that lower taxes on business owners (i.e. “the rich”) will translate to significantly more jobs and a more robust economy.  The majority of those rich business owners got where they are by squeezing maximum production out of a minimum number of employees and maximizing the profit.  Lower tax rates allow them to keep more of that profit, until Biden increases the upper income tax rates again.  I’m not saying business owners do it wrong, I’m just saying they are primarily motivated by putting money in their pocket. Maybe a handful use that money to expand when they otherwise wouldn’t have, but I believe most established business owners just enjoy another BMW. 

It’s kind of funny, actually.  There is a pretty clear parallel between people anywhere on the income spectrum.  Most people try to minimize effort (called either work or expense) while trying to maximize return (called either government benefits or profit). 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, winter_rules said:

I’m genuinely perplexed by those who lean hard to either side of the political spectrum.  Thinking that most people just need a little boost to get past a little bad luck is ignorant and blatantly ignores the fact that most people will do as little as possible in most circumstances.  It is often highly educated people who land on the “left” side of the spectrum which makes no sense to me.  

Then you have the people far on the “right” who think that lower taxes on business owners (i.e. “the rich”) will translate to significantly more jobs and a more robust economy.  The majority of those rich business owners got where they are by squeezing maximum production out of a minimum number of employees and maximizing the profit.  Lower tax rates allow them to keep more of that profit, until Biden increases the upper income tax rates again.  I’m not saying business owners do it wrong, I’m just saying they are primarily motivated by putting money in their pocket. Maybe a handful use that money to expand when they otherwise wouldn’t have, but I believe most established business owners just enjoy another BMW. 

It’s kind of funny, actually.  There is a pretty clear parallel between people anywhere on the income spectrum.  Most people try to minimize effort (called either work or expense) while trying to maximize return (called either government benefits or profit). 

Yeah he has had issues with other tenants in the past even without a pandemic paying rent. The law definitely favors the tenant vs the landlord. People think landlords have tons of money, but those with 1-2 properties are usually pretty thin on liquid capital as they have 2-3 mortgages to pay for. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, winter_rules said:

Someone had a similar quote in a book that I once read...most employees do just enough work so they won’t get fired and most employers pay just enough so the workers won’t quit...but I still stand by my belief that a system that doesn’t demand enough accountability on any level is doomed to fail.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, gmendevils8204 said:

Someone had a similar quote in a book that I once read...most employees do just enough work so they won’t get fired and most employers pay just enough so he workers won’t quit...but I still stand by my belief that a system that doesn’t demand enough accountability on any level is doomed to fail.

I agree 100%.  Accountability is in a downward spiral in the US, starting in Kindergarten, and in most cases even earlier at home.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Cases went up this week due to a 50k case drop yesterday from Missouri from antigen testing. 

Isn’t it weird how there’s always a big data dump right around the time we see significant declines? It’s almost like some people want to see this continue for as long as possible and maximize fear in the population. 

Starting the process of making my spare garage a little gym lol This was a "small" gift from the in-laws to start it off..I also have a stationary bike that will be joining the room for now.. Time to lose that covid-19 weight gain lol When it's consistently warm out I'm hoping to start taking some bike rides to Ontario which is about 5 miles away..

PXL_20210310_153718086.jpg.0c47e2a6d03e5

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Biden just announced a request for another 100 million J&J doses. My wifes best friend got that one. Her arm was very sore for 24 hours and had the worst headache she ever had for almost 2 days. Anyone else here that got vaccinated with any issues? 

I got mine this past Sunday at UB, the Pfizer one.  My upper arm was really sore for almost exactly 24 hours then totally fine, that was it.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Cuomo might not be governor for too much longer. 

I never liked him. Way too arrogant.  Who writes a book congratulating himself on how he handled a crisis when the crisis is nowhere close to being over? It’s like a football coach telling you how he won the Super Bowl at midseason.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Gamestop almost at $300 again lol 

I had a lucky GME trade today...bought at $241 yesterday and let it ride o/night. This a.m. I put in a Limit sell order for $305 which got filled late morning.  Then it goes to $330+ and I'm sort of kicking myself when I went to the store...only to get an alert that it was cratering to $180 and halted at least twice.  Then I felt like a genius! LOL.  I see it has since bounced, was back at $268.  You know any parabolic rise is going to have a violent end... no DIAMOND HANDS here. ;)

• Haha 1

I went to funeral for my wifes great aunt on Sunday who was 98 years old. She died from complications from 2nd dose of vaccine in the nursing home. Shes a twin and her sister didn't get the vaccine and is doing just fine. She was completely healthy as well. Obviously covid probably would have killed her too if she contracted it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I went to funeral for my wifes great aunt on Sunday who was 98 years old. She died from complications from 2nd dose of vaccine in the nursing home. Shes a twin and her sister didn't get the vaccine and is doing just fine. She was completely healthy as well. Obviously covid probably would have killed her too if she contracted it. 

So sad. This is why I’m still nervous about getting  the vaccine. Who knows now I’ll react to it? If not getting it means I can’t go to games or concerts, I’m starting to feel OK with that. I try to do everything I can to keep my immune system strong. Regular exercise, vitamins, healthy eating, proper sleep, etc. I’m honestly more comfortable doing those things and wearing the mask than I am with the vaccine.

11 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This was only the case after Dec 31st...There was no letter needed before that date. Last years rent is a complete loss. the eviction moratorium has been extended until May 31st. The tenants haven't written anything and they are still unable to get evicted. I grew up poorer than probably anyone on these forums and I am by no means rich at all. My parents both made min. wage and my dad worked 12 hour days for 30 years to get promoted in his company and get to where he is today. I grew up in the city where people hated working and stayed at home all day on the porch living off the system.  I'm not a fan of that. To each their own. 

Those tenants sound like trash and I’m sorry your dad has to deal with them.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

All the government spending didn't really help the small guy though. That's also my point. Check out this article. Billionaires got richer during COVID during anytime in our history. We need a completely new tax structure for the rich. Has anyones wealth here grown 50%+ during covid? I can say it hasn't for me. 

https://inequality.org/great-divide/updates-billionaire-pandemic/

Billionaires-table-Feb.2021-300x246.png

You’re totally right on this. 100% of one party and 99% of the other party exist mainly to give rich people everything they want. COVID is a classic example of crisis capitalism.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Really tired of seeing soccer matches in europe with no fans. It's such a key part of game atmosphere.  But they seem to be having more problems with covid than here.  

Honestly, I’m not even watching sports right now. It’s not the same without fans. I tuned into the Super Bowl but that’s been about it since last March.

44 minutes ago, gmendevils8204 said:

Honestly, I’m not even watching sports right now. It’s not the same without fans. I tuned into the Super Bowl but that’s been about it since last March.

I hear ya, its def not the same without the crowd. Soccer crowds are way more impactful then american football crowds on the whole as they are way more active, so its disrupted a lot of dynamics that we usually see.  It's really noticeable for my team, Borussia Dortmund, in Germany, as they have the largest average attendance of any soccer team in the world and have the Yellow Wall in the south end of the stadium, which is a HIIT cardio workout to watch a match there.  The game atmosphere is wild, tickets inexpensive and so is the Bier!  And you don't see the asinine drunken behavior that American football fans bring (looking at you Bills fans).  Tickets hard to get for inside the Wall itself, but i try to get there to see them every year.  Following on tv with fan noise piped in just makes me sad.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, WNash said:

Those tenants sound like trash and I’m sorry your dad has to deal with them.

My mom rented out one side of a duplex that she inherited from her parents after they passed away. She wishes that she had just sold it immediately. Both tenants were a royal pain in the a$$. Didn’t take care of the unit, constant noise and yelling, always complaining about something, etc. The first tenant left significant damage and didn’t even fully clean the place out after moving and was shocked when she didn’t get her security deposit back. The level of entitlement is off the charts with a lot of people these days. I don’t think I’d ever want to be a landlord.

• Like 1

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic