• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

1 hour ago, CNY_WX said:

I’m glad you’re optimistic, I think we’ve got a long way to go. 

After a year of lock downs I think we're at the tipping point. Bills are planning on having a full stadium for games in September. That is my definition of back to normal, so either ways its happening this year so not far out. If you look at the number of cases, hospitalizations, and those getting vaccinated we're really close.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#hospitalizations

Todays numbers

Latest stats from theLawyerCraig (new covid tracking project)

Tests: 1,323,141

Cases: 42,579

Deaths: 629

Currently Hospitalized: 39,367

• Like 3

14 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

After a year of lock downs I think we're at the tipping point. Bills are planning on having a full stadium for games in September. That is my definition of back to normal, so either ways its happening this year so not far out. If you look at the number of cases, hospitalizations, and those getting vaccinated we're really close.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#hospitalizations

Todays numbers

Latest stats from theLawyerCraig (new covid tracking project)

Tests: 1,323,141

Cases: 42,579

Deaths: 629

Currently Hospitalized: 39,367

You’re definitely optimistic thinking the Bills are going to have a full stadium this year. Syracuse University finally was able to allow a certain number of students into sporting events in the Carrier Dome. In order to get in you must have a negative Covid test within 24 hours of the event then take another rapid test when entering. These restrictions are not going away by next fall. The wild card in our return to normalcy is the emergent variants in unvaccinated countries that evade our current vaccines. If we can somehow evade those we will return to normalcy sooner. If not then all bets are off. I think you won’t see more than 25,000 at Bills games this year. 
https://www.nunesmagician.com/2021/3/4/22313415/carrier-dome-will-reopen-to-fans-on-march-6-syracuse-orange-lacrosse-attendance

10 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

You’re definitely optimistic thinking the Bills are going to have a full stadium this year. Syracuse University finally was able to allow a certain number of students into sporting events in the Carrier Dome. In order to get in you must have a negative Covid test within 24 hours of the event then take another rapid test when entering. These restrictions are not going away by next fall. The wild card in our return to normalcy is the emergent variants in unvaccinated countries that evade our current vaccines. If we can somehow evade those we will return to normalcy sooner. If not then all bets are off. I think you won’t see more than 25,000 at Bills games this year. 
https://www.nunesmagician.com/2021/3/4/22313415/carrier-dome-will-reopen-to-fans-on-march-6-syracuse-orange-lacrosse-attendance

The variants are definitely a concern, (Mainly the Brazilian variant) but the vaccines provide protection from them to a degree. The entire point of all these lockdowns are to prevent the hospitals from being overloaded. That hasn't happened since last April. In recent studies Pfizer and Moderna protect against all known variants in that very rarely those that get the variants end up in the hospital. Once lockdowns are lifted, I highly doubt they will be put back into place. Cuomo is likely gone soon too, which should improve things. I guess we will see where the trends take us this summer. I would be shocked to not get back to normalcy besides mask wearing in crowded places by July 4th here. (Games/Concerts)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CNY_WX said:

We need to learn how to live with this thing and move on.  As long as hospitalizations don't overwhelm the system, it's time to try and get back to normal if all goes well with the vaccinations in the next several months.  The government can't keep printing money to prop everything up either.  The economy has to be able to stand on its own.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Anyone nervous about the massive amount of government money being sent out like its nothing? You don't have to pay rent/mortgage ever again, you get unemployment forever, and free college/health insurance in the near future? I'll never have to work again, more time for storm chasing! :lol:

That's what "America voted for." Errr...just over 50% of voters? Maybe? It's not rainbows and unicorns on any side of the political spectrum. My dad reminds me that he's so happy he's not in my generation because who knows if we will ever see our social security, retirement, etc.......

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Let's be a little fair here lol

The guy that lost signed an executive order using FEMA money for extra unemployment benefits lol He also told his party to go"bigger" then what the opposition had.. Only reason it got done now is because of the Senate change in majority..

"I am asking Congress to amend this bill and increase the ridiculously low $600 to $2,000, or $4,000 for a couple," Trump said in the video.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/12/22/trump-calls-covid-relief-bill-unsuitable-and-demands-congress-add-higher-stimulus-payments.html

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

CDC Estimates 83 million people have been infected

More people were infected since December, but I will need to wait until the CDC provides that number. Looking like the CDC ~.6% IFR that they said was most likely back last May is going to be fairly spot on. A good job of modeling by them

upload_2021-3-9_5-38-33-png.405199

upload_2021-3-9_5-36-35-png.405198

I’d like to see CFRs for healthy countries. I wish that was the wake up call that would come of this. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Anyone nervous about the massive amount of government money being sent out like its nothing? You don't have to pay rent/mortgage ever again, you get unemployment forever, and free college/health insurance in the near future? I'll never have to work again, more time for storm chasing! :lol:

Reading Patriots by James Wesley right now. If you’re not scared read that and you will. It’s over the top but plausible. 

3 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Let's be a little fair here lol

The guy that lost signed an executive order using FEMA money for extra unemployment benefits lol He also told his party to go"bigger" then what the opposition had.. Only reason it got done now is because of the Senate change in majority..

"I am asking Congress to amend this bill and increase the ridiculously low $600 to $2,000, or $4,000 for a couple," Trump said in the video.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/12/22/trump-calls-covid-relief-bill-unsuitable-and-demands-congress-add-higher-stimulus-payments.html

This is true but there are loads of people I know milking UI instead of going to look for work right now. I have no problem with the Stim payments. The not having to pay for rent/mortgage and constant UI benefits that are comparable to wages people get working are my issue. If everyone is 100% open, we should get people back to applying for jobs. 

• Like 3

My dads tenants haven't paid rent in over a year and hes short almost $20k. The stim package includes rental assistance but only if the tenant applies for it. If my dad changes the locks and kicks them out he gets charged a misdemeanor. His lawyer said there is nothing he can do. The tenants in his apartment don't care at all, they are not going to put forth any effort to get the rental assistance to help my dad out. They have big TVS and xboxs being mailed to their house nearly every week. My dad still has a mortgage to pay. Its unfair. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

My dads tenants haven't paid rent in over a year and hes short almost $20k. The stim package includes rental assistance but only if the tenant applies for it. If my dad changes the locks and kicks them out he gets charged a misdemeanor. His lawyer said there is nothing he can do. The tenants in his apartment don't care at all, they are not going to put forth any effort to get the rental assistance to help my dad out. They have big TVS and xboxs being mailed to their house nearly every week. My dad still has a mortgage to pay. Its unfair. 

Exactly.  That's the part so many forget...or maybe they simply don't care.  Not everyone who owns property is rich and they also have obligations that have to be met.  Individual landlords like your dad are getting killed.  It's a vicious cycle.  This might sound harsh but it's almost becoming too easy to be a deadbeat in this society.  If you get bailed out all the time, what are the consequences of not contributing to society and putting more of a burden on others?  It will eventually get to a point where more and more people decide that the toil is no longer worth it if most of their income is withheld to fund social programs.  When the takers outnumber the makers, society is in deep trouble.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

First of all it is extremely difficult to get an appointment to receive the vaccine. Second yes it’s like Halloween at 1600 Pennsylvania ave. It’s extremely scary how they’re not concerned at all with the repercussions this will cause...for years...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

First of all it is extremely difficult to get an appointment to receive the vaccine. Second yes it’s like Halloween at 1600 Pennsylvania ave. It’s extremely scary how they’re not concerned at all with the repercussions this will cause...for years...

Most politicians don't care partly because so many of them are of an advanced age.  They won't be around in 20 years to deal with the fallout...and they also know that the reelection rate for incumbents is high.  Many of them are guaranteed a job for as long as they want it because voters elect the same people and then complain when nothing changes.  Kicking the can down the road and letting another generation deal with the mess is something our "leaders" are great at...and that goes for both parties.  I'm not making a partisan statement here.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It just disgusts me how vile some human beings are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmendevils8204 said:

Exactly.  That's the part so many forget...or maybe they simply don't care.  Not everyone who owns property is rich and they also have obligations that have to be met.  Individual landlords like your dad are getting killed.  It's a vicious cycle.  This might sound harsh but it's almost becoming too easy to be a deadbeat in this society.  If you get bailed out all the time, what are the consequences of not contributing to society and putting more of a burden on others?  It will eventually get to a point where more and more people decide that the toil is no longer worth it if most of their income is withheld to fund social programs.  When the takers outnumber the makers, society is in deep trouble.  

You see this new "training" in America's education system. Oh? You didn't do anything and failed? Blame the teacher! Here's a cookie for your trouble, child...oh, and an A.

No. Consequences. Any more.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

You see this new "training" in America's education system. Oh? You didn't do anything and failed? Blame the teacher! Here's a cookie for your trouble, child...oh, and an A.

No. Consequences. Any more.

The unfortunate, uncomfortable truth. It's going to collapse one day, perhaps sooner than any of us realize.  A system with zero accountability at any level is doomed to failure.  So sad.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The federal government increased the money supply by about $2.3 trillion over the next six years with the 2017 tax cuts (effectively deficit spending, since they are offset by hypothetical increases down the line that are so politically toxic that they will never happen), along with two stimulus packages in 2020 that totaled about $2.3 trillion. And that’s not counting the $3.5 trillion in pure deficit spending between 2017 and pre-pandemic FY2020.

It’s absolutely bonkers that people who aren’t actually rich look the other way when the wealthiest 1% back up their armored trucks to the US Treasury so the politicians can fill them up with public money, but wail and rend their garments and pray for the future when a pittance is used to help regular people.

Are there scumbags out there who cheat the public trust so they can get some extra food stamps and rent support? Yeah, just like there are scumbags whose have nothing to offer society but whose parents give them money for all the cocaine they want and buy up every politician who is for sale and end up lording it over the rest of us. I’m not the slightest bit interested in sticking it to all the people who have had every break go against them since they were born into this world just because a handful of small time crooks run obvious scams.

I don’t know where you’re getting this “never have to pay rent again” BS - the eviction moratorium requires an attestation that you can’t afford to pay rent because of COVID related job loss but it doesn’t wipe debts clean. That money is still owed. And landlords have rejected false attestations and won,  but the problem who can get get to move in when the tenants with money aren’t renting cheap housing. And actual small-holdings landlords (less than 10 units) get full protection for credit worthiness and against foreclosure. And what the hell is wrong with free college or health insurance? My parents went to college in the day when it was so cheap that it was basically free. And my wife’s parents had their health insurance premiums paid by her dad’s employer, with no copays. We have been told that we can’t have “free” things (which we actually work and pay taxes for) by people who have far more money than us, and took what we used to get so they can have a fourth house or a third yacht. Maybe you’re a rich guy, lucky you, but if you’re not, don’t be a chump.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It sounds like he has the world’s worst tenants. How do you even need big TVs sent to you every week?

Bad tenants aside, does he have more than 10 rental properties? If not, he qualifies for mortgage relief. And if his lawyer doesn’t know that or can’t challenge a false attestation, he’s a bad lawyer.

6 hours ago, WNash said:

It sounds like he has the world’s worst tenants. How do you even need big TVs sent to you every week?

Bad tenants aside, does he have more than 10 rental properties? If not, he qualifies for mortgage relief. And if his lawyer doesn’t know that or can’t challenge a false attestation, he’s a bad lawyer.

I was exaggerating on the TVS. But point be made they are making quite a bit of money on UI and still not able to make rent. They are probably making more on UI then when they were working. He has one duplex in the city. He does not qualify. 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

6 hours ago, WNash said:

The federal government increased the money supply by about $2.3 trillion over the next six years with the 2017 tax cuts (effectively deficit spending, since they are offset by hypothetical increases down the line that are so politically toxic that they will never happen), along with two stimulus packages in 2020 that totaled about $2.3 trillion. And that’s not counting the $3.5 trillion in pure deficit spending between 2017 and pre-pandemic FY2020.

It’s absolutely bonkers that people who aren’t actually rich look the other way when the wealthiest 1% back up their armored trucks to the US Treasury so the politicians can fill them up with public money, but wail and rend their garments and pray for the future when a pittance is used to help regular people.

Are there scumbags out there who cheat the public trust so they can get some extra food stamps and rent support? Yeah, just like there are scumbags whose have nothing to offer society but whose parents give them money for all the cocaine they want and buy up every politician who is for sale and end up lording it over the rest of us. I’m not the slightest bit interested in sticking it to all the people who have had every break go against them since they were born into this world just because a handful of small time crooks run obvious scams.

I don’t know where you’re getting this “never have to pay rent again” BS - the eviction moratorium requires an attestation that you can’t afford to pay rent because of COVID related job loss but it doesn’t wipe debts clean. That money is still owed. And landlords have rejected false attestations and won,  but the problem who can get get to move in when the tenants with money aren’t renting cheap housing. And actual small-holdings landlords (less than 10 units) get full protection for credit worthiness and against foreclosure. And what the hell is wrong with free college or health insurance? My parents went to college in the day when it was so cheap that it was basically free. And my wife’s parents had their health insurance premiums paid by her dad’s employer, with no copays. We have been told that we can’t have “free” things (which we actually work and pay taxes for) by people who have far more money than us, and took what we used to get so they can have a fourth house or a third yacht. Maybe you’re a rich guy, lucky you, but if you’re not, don’t be a chump.

This was only the case after Dec 31st...There was no letter needed before that date. Last years rent is a complete loss. the eviction moratorium has been extended until May 31st. The tenants haven't written anything and they are still unable to get evicted. I grew up poorer than probably anyone on these forums and I am by no means rich at all. My parents both made min. wage and my dad worked 12 hour days for 30 years to get promoted in his company and get to where he is today. I grew up in the city where people hated working and stayed at home all day on the porch living off the system.  I'm not a fan of that. To each their own. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, WNash said:

All the government spending didn't really help the small guy though. That's also my point. Check out this article. Billionaires got richer during COVID during anytime in our history. We need a completely new tax structure for the rich. Has anyones wealth here grown 50%+ during covid? I can say it hasn't for me. 

https://inequality.org/great-divide/updates-billionaire-pandemic/

Billionaires-table-Feb.2021-300x246.png

• Like 2

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic