• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

10 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Any preexisting? My buddy is having a small surgery and had to get a covid test first. He had one at ECMC, an hour later he got his results and positive. No symptoms at all. I talked to him at the gym a few days ago for about 30 minutes. His masks is always below his nose. Wish me luck fellas.

Let us know how you make out. It’s a crap shoot, a couple plants I’ve been in have had cases and it was hit or miss as to who got it. People who you’d think should have got it didn’t, and people who were nowhere near the infected did. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 6:08 PM, 40westwx said:

I love it when I post good news about the corona virus.. like.. Hey.. not as many people died as we expected.. 

and people are like "shut up you liar.. so many people died.. its so sad and tragic.. people are dying everywhere.. stop lying"

Sort of like saying the good new is the Titanic only hit 1 iceberg.........

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

Let us know how you make out. It’s a crap shoot, a couple plants I’ve been in have had cases and it was hit or miss as to who got it. People who you’d think should have got it didn’t, and people who were nowhere near the infected did. 

It's been 6 days with no symptoms so not really worried. I've been around probably a dozen people who had positives all with little to no symptoms. I'm ready to move on from covid.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It's been 6 days with no symptoms so not really worried. I've been around probably a dozen people who had positives all with little to no symptoms. I'm ready to move on from covid.

I still don’t get how this all works.  My entire house with the exception of me ending up catching covid.  Spent 3 weeks quarantined with 3 covid positive individuals in “ daily close contact... for hours...” 5 tests over a 16 day period and I still can’t test positive!  Doctor sent me for an antibody test figuring I might have been “patient zero” and nope no antibodies.  Was told I must have the good “T cells” in me.  Hate saying this but I actually was hoping to catch it during our quarantine so I could get it over with and be good until summer time.  The uncertainly with all this is the worst part. 

Not directly covid related but indirectly via knock off effects...pay attention to what's happening in Bitcoin the past year. I've been putting smallish amounts into the Etherium coin over the past year and it is just getting going.  These $2K checks and Universal Income concept will drive the US Dollar lower.  Etherium is up 25% in Globex trade today and likely going much much higher. Will be a volatile ride and I wouldn't put $ you need into it, but the trend is relentless for a number of reasons...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rcostell said:

Confusing post...Is this a political discussion forum? 

Good point.  The Lefties are as triggered as the Rumpists over covid and their own demons and the urinal shadows they apparently see. If only we could prevent both camps from voting due to mental incapacity and have a centrist government of adults... ;)

1 minute ago, Syrmax said:

Good point.  The Lefties are as triggered as the Rumpists. If only we could prevent both camps from voting due to mental incapacity and have a centrist government of adults... ;)

Best thing I've read all night. Thanks for the reaffirmation that i'm not alone in feeling like I'm really tired of the sniping... back to the the topic in the thread title perhaps? 

• Like 1

Here we go again.      Another variant that is resistant to the current vaccines,  which can't even be administrated properly anyway.        Before enough of the world gets the current stuff, a new vaccine will be needed------and a new one, and a new one........................

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/south-africa-covid-strain-may-weaken-impact-of-vaccines-says-top-scientist-shabir-madhi/ar-BB1cuw1b?ocid=uxbndlbing

1 hour ago, CIK62 said:

Here we go again.      Another variant that is resistant to the current vaccines,  which can't even be administrated properly anyway.        Before enough of the world gets the current stuff, a new vaccine will be needed------and a new one, and a new one........................

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/south-africa-covid-strain-may-weaken-impact-of-vaccines-says-top-scientist-shabir-madhi/ar-BB1cuw1b?ocid=uxbndlbing

So this was bound to happen but I'm surprised it happened so quickly. I would have expected widespread vaccine distribution to have been in play first.

36 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

it does not say that the variant is resistant to the vaccine. good grief.

Read the article. Two different professors are quoted as saying it reduces effectiveness. That would qualify as resistant...

According to Shabir Madhi, a professor of vaccinology who is leading trials of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine in South Africa, the mutated variant of the virus might "weaken the impact" of vaccines.

John Bell, a professor who led the development of the AstraZeneca-University of Oxford COVID-19 vaccine, has also voiced concern about the effectiveness of current vaccines on the 501Y.V2 variant.

"The mutations associated with the South African form are really pretty substantial changes in the structure of the protein. The protein has a domain, which binds to the human cells—it's called the receptor-binding domain, and it's where the virus attaches itself," he said on Sunday.

"If you get an immune response that protects you, one of the ways it protects you is it gets in the way of that binding event. So you rely on antibodies to bind to that domain to stop the virus from binding onto yourself. That's basically the whole basis for vaccines. If you get an infection, you make antibodies to that domain that prevent you getting reinfected."

28 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Read the article. Two different professors are quoted as saying it reduces effectiveness. That would qualify as resistant...

According to Shabir Madhi, a professor of vaccinology who is leading trials of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine in South Africa, the mutated variant of the virus might "weaken the impact" of vaccines.

John Bell, a professor who led the development of the AstraZeneca-University of Oxford COVID-19 vaccine, has also voiced concern about the effectiveness of current vaccines on the 501Y.V2 variant.

"The mutations associated with the South African form are really pretty substantial changes in the structure of the protein. The protein has a domain, which binds to the human cells—it's called the receptor-binding domain, and it's where the virus attaches itself," he said on Sunday.

"If you get an immune response that protects you, one of the ways it protects you is it gets in the way of that binding event. So you rely on antibodies to bind to that domain to stop the virus from binding onto yourself. That's basically the whole basis for vaccines. If you get an infection, you make antibodies to that domain that prevent you getting reinfected."

See new Tweets

Conversation

93JhEYmF_x96.jpg

This study has analysed CoV2 variants (including UK and South African) for likelihood of current vaccines failing. Author concludes ‘confident current vaccines will be useful for quite a while’. https://biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.31.425021v1.full.pdf

16 hours ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

a lengthy but very interesting article.

Did the Coronavirus Escape From a Lab? (nymag.com)

Finished reading this. Outstanding read.  This pulls together a number of reports and backstories that I read very early on in the pandemic regarding the initial Wuhan outbreak emanating out of China and problems with the official story...before the CCP, the Western MSM and Big Tech silenced and deplatformed anyone looking at the origins of the pandemic in a serious manner.  All due political narratives that had to be protected.  And we think our media system is fundamentally different from China or Russia...LOL.  

The article does a great job of summarizing significant concerns with Gain of Function testing.  Predictably, serious inspection into exactly what happened in Wuhan and the backstory was squashed by the CCP and became a radioactive subject in Western research communities as it shined a spotlight on the risks associated with GoF experiments...the Wild West research environment...and threatened funding streams.  Predictable responses.  As was the main stream media’s alignment with their political interests to not cover the story because...Trump was using it to beat China over the head in his Neanderthal manner (sorry Neanderthals).  Queue up the usual racist, xenophobic labeling and non-thinking PC gibberish. Anything the buffoon Trump did or said had to be opposed or neutered, regardless of the issue.  

We don’t definitively know whether SARS-COV-2 popped up randomly on its own or whether it was lab engineered.  No one does and it’s highly likely we will never know now.  And this gets to my main concern with Fauci, who appears to me to be more of a reckless “scientist” that fücked things up and is now hiding under the cover of being the adult in the room “helping” us weather the storm. Granted, he is the anti-Trump in the public facing government, fawned over by the media and politically motivated class because Trump has been so clearly idiotic.  Yet it’s entirely possible, perhaps likely, that GoF research that Fauci supported and advocated funding for, via NIH, is the genesis of SARS-COV-2.  GoF has shown no demonstrable benefit in vaccine development against Corona viruses or other potential pandemic threats and may very well have, due to an accident and/or malfeasance, unleashed a Frankenstein’s monster onto humanity.  

The science community appears to have learned absolutely nothing from hard earned past experience of new technologies that had hazards which were under-appreciated or not fully understood (radioactivity as just one prime example). So I guess we’ll all wear masks forever.

7 hours ago, Syrmax said:

Finished reading this. Outstanding read.  This pulls together a number of reports and backstories that I read very early on in the pandemic regarding the initial Wuhan outbreak emanating out of China and problems with the official story...before the CCP, the Western MSM and Big Tech silenced and deplatformed anyone looking at the origins of the pandemic in a serious manner.  All due political narratives that had to be protected.  And we think our media system is fundamentally different from China or Russia...LOL.  

The article does a great job of summarizing significant concerns with Gain of Function testing.  Predictably, serious inspection into exactly what happened in Wuhan and the backstory was squashed by the CCP and became a radioactive subject in Western research communities as it shined a spotlight on the risks associated with GoF experiments...the Wild West research environment...and threatened funding streams.  Predictable responses.  As was the main stream media’s alignment with their political interests to not cover the story because...Trump was using it to beat China over the head in his Neanderthal manner (sorry Neanderthals).  Queue up the usual racist, xenophobic labeling and non-thinking PC gibberish. Anything the buffoon Trump did or said had to be opposed or neutered, regardless of the issue.  

We don’t definitively know whether SARS-COV-2 popped up randomly on its own or whether it was lab engineered.  No one does and it’s highly likely we will never know now.  And this gets to my main concern with Fauci, who appears to me to be more of a reckless “scientist” that fücked things up and is now hiding under the cover of being the adult in the room “helping” us weather the storm. Granted, he is the anti-Trump in the public facing government, fawned over by the media and politically motivated class because Trump has been so clearly idiotic.  Yet it’s entirely possible, perhaps likely, that GoF research that Fauci supported and advocated funding for, via NIH, is the genesis of SARS-COV-2.  GoF has shown no demonstrable benefit in vaccine development against Corona viruses or other potential pandemic threats and may very well have, due to an accident and/or malfeasance, unleashed a Frankenstein’s monster onto humanity.  

The science community appears to have learned absolutely nothing from hard earned past experience of new technologies that had hazards which were under-appreciated or not fully understood (radioactivity as just one prime example). So I guess we’ll all wear masks forever.

Wasnt Fauci one of the guys who helped set us up in Wuhan to help discover and track new viruses? 
You’re a great writer by the way. I like the way your mind works. I think you’re a might bit more intellectually curious and honest than I am. I easily fall into the politically driven tropes that are designed to divide us. On the other hand, I have a little suspicion of trying to make things too complicated or conspiratorial. Occams razor and all that. Fauci might of been made the hero in response to Trumps bafoonish antics out of necessity. We needed a western scientist type with a warm smile to help us feel safe- like there were things we could act upon. 
It is a shame we might never have an origin story. And you’re right, not blaming Chinese research might be a reflexive (and wrong) response to Trumps ridiculous ‘China Virus’ nonsense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brentrich said:

Looks like 2021 is gonna be much worse than 2020.. Get ready folks

I'd agree with that. I've been calling this 2020 2.0 or 2020+1.  Although, my stock trading has been going gangbusters since the election.  So its not ALL bad.  Bullshit walks, money talks.  ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Syrmax said:

I'd agree with that. I've been calling this 2020 2.0 or 2020+1.  Although, my stock trading has been going gangbusters since the election.  So its not ALL bad.  Bullshit walks, money talks.  ;)

Yeah...T brought the stock market back to record levels.  You are seeing numbers nobody has ever seen so be prepared for a big dip...call it a hunch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Syrmax said:

I don't agree. I think by the summer (June/July) we will see a major dent in C19 (due to vaccines/herd/warm weather impacts) and by fall/winter, even more so (mainly due to the first 2). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vortmax said:

I don't agree. I think by the summer (June/July) we will see a major dent in C19 (due to vaccines/herd/warm weather impacts) and by fall/winter, even more so (mainly due to the first 2). 

Highly doubt it, we will not get back to normal lives by 2022. The goal was to get 20 million people vaccinated by end of 2020 (According to CDC). Right now it's Jan 6th and only a little over 2 million people already have it (only on 1st dose, not on second dose yet). I believe we will see peak in February and another peak again in July/August before thing starts to slow down. Over 4k deaths today, doesn't look good for next several weeks so we need to get ready. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Syrmax said:

Equities prices are being backstopped by the Fed, which has created moral hazard for investors. In fact, investors are dramatically increasing exposure to risk because on the evidence, share prices can only rise. In a sense it’s a massive government intervention that overwhelmingly favors very wealthy people, and it’s not sustainable, creating absurd EPS ratios. At the moment when investors realize that the Fed will no longer subsidize equity markets, there will be a collapse in stock prices, but unlike the pandemic bear market, nobody will be riding to the rescue of stock traders.

• Like 1

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic