• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

3 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I don't like the headline. They aren't in contrast to each other. Feeling kinda shitty for a day or two doesn't mean it's not safe. 

It says it's SAFE and effective? It just warns about side effects from the 2nd shot..

One Pfizer trial participant told CNBC that after the second shot, he woke up with chills, shaking so hard he cracked a tooth. "It hurt to even just lay in my bed sheet," he said. 

Just now, wolfie09 said:

It says it's SAFE and effect ? It just warns about side effects from the 2nd shot..

One Pfizer trial participant told CNBC that after the second shot, he woke up with chills, shaking so hard he cracked a tooth. "It hurt to even just lay in my bed sheet," he said. 

I just don't like the use of the but there. It almost makes it seem like the fda says one thing but the trial participants say another. 

I've been following the vaccine stuff a lot. This vaccine does cause more side-effects than your typical flu vaccine. So science communication will be important to let people know that. The side-effects are from the immune system reaction. It means its working. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brentrich said:

and there has been several reports about side effects, not looking good. 

There are several side effects to my Bills tailgating the following morning but I continually do it. 

Sorry, I know you're trying to be serious. The government will have to be very transparent about possible side effects and for the citizens to not be alarmed by them. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I just don't like the use of the but there. It almost makes it seem like the fda says one thing but the trial participants say another. 

I've been following the vaccine stuff a lot. This vaccine does cause more side-effects than your typical flu vaccine. So science communication will be important to let people know that. The side-effects are from the immune system reaction. It means its working. 

Weren't severe side effects 0-4.6%? Also "severe" is relative. None of the side effects required hospitalization.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Weren't severe side effects 0-4.6%? Also "severe" is relative. None of the side effects required hospitalization.

Of course. Theyre bad enough in a percentage of people that you might be out of work for a day or two. Like you dont vaccinate all your nurses on a single day. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

There are several side effects to my Bills tailgating the following morning but I continually do it. 

Sorry, I know you're trying to be serious. The government will have to be very transparent about possible side effects and for the citizens to not be alarmed by them. 

This is actually a decent point. I’m willing to bet money I’ve had hangovers that are an order of magnitude worse than the side effects from the vaccine. Not concerned about it at all. 

Hey now!  What’s all this weather talk in the banter thread!  lol!

Ill be interested to see the rest of the evening meso runs come in.  HRRR has been dead set all afternoon on a 6”+ hit in central Erie county.  The last AFD makes mention that the mesos are probably over doing the precip output, but do agree it will be just cold enough for all snow in the morning... let’s see!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

My moms immunotherapy is Keytruda. You see the commercial for it on TV? The side effects are like 2 minutes long, but guess what? That treatment has shunk my moms tumor by 60%!!!!!! Radiation did very little to her tumor, it actually grew. Chemo/immunotherapy during second treatment is working!

So happy to read that!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

This is actually a decent point. I’m willing to bet money I’ve had hangovers that are an order of magnitude worse than the side effects from the vaccine. Not concerned about it at all. 

My brother is in the Moderna trial. First dosage he felt a little achy and tired the next day, but felt fine by the morning after that. He’s pretty sure he got the actual vaccine, partly because of side effects but mostly because he had two extended periods of exposure to COVID positive coworkers in a relatively confined space about six weeks apart. The more recent exposure involved a arrogant fool of a coworker who had removed his mask for about 30 minutes with his back turned to my brother and two colleagues. The two colleagues both developed symptoms within days, and one of them was hospitalized for over a month. My brother was in quarantine but went to be tested three times over two weeks, and was negative all three times. He also had antibody testing, but the trial protocol won’t reveal those results to him.

I’m sold. Sign me up.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, brentrich said:

and there has been several reports about side effects, not looking good. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/12/08/944165524/fda-analysis-of-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-finds-it-effective-and-safe

There have been 2 reports of allergic reactions in 2 UK recipients, however, they have had a history of severe allergic reactions in the past and both carry an epipen regularly. Don't see this being much different than most other vaccines for that risk group.

Looking good. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Trying to plan out my trips for 2021 once we can travel again. Thinking of going to Alaska for 2 weeks in summer. I think international travel won't be full go until 2022 or late 2021. 

My trip to st Lucia next month is still a go and we’re planning either Iceland or Spain next fall. All sorts of great deals out there right now. Only downside is flight schedules seem to have been trimmed. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

So the Covid virus has made it to my house finally...my middle child tested positive this morning as she has some slight symptoms and many of her gymnastics teammates have recently tested positive as well. 

I’m sorry to hear that.  Hopefully it’s just mild symptoms for anybody who may get it!  

I’m curious how you’re handling it spreading within your household.  We have 3 kids ages 3-7 and figure once one of us gets it, we’ll all have it within a week.  Our house setup doesn’t allow us to just lock someone in their own area for a week or two, as if you could do that at those ages anyway.  

18 minutes ago, winter_rules said:

I’m sorry to hear that.  Hopefully it’s just mild symptoms for anybody who may get it!  

I’m curious how you’re handling it spreading within your household.  We have 3 kids ages 3-7 and figure once one of us gets it, we’ll all have it within a week.  Our house setup doesn’t allow us to just lock someone in their own area for a week or two, as if you could do that at those ages anyway.  

Well that’s a great question! Because we are all probably exposed as well we are taking precautions to try and mitigate any further damage or exposure. We’re wearing masks in the house and have separated the child that has it and giving her own bathroom to use. It’s not ideal but like you stated there’s not a lot of space to utilize to isolate. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Well that’s a great question! Because we are all probably exposed as well we are taking precautions to try and mitigate any further damage or exposure. We’re wearing masks in the house and have separated the child that has it and giving her own bathroom to use. It’s not ideal but like you stated there’s not a lot of space to utilize to isolate. 

Good Luck to you and the family.  That’s our biggest fear now is someone in the house getting it.  The kids are 2 and 7 and with the smaller house and only one bathroom we don’t see how we could isolate properly.  Are your kids in school or are you thinking there was a spread at gymnastics?  I was surprised when we went orange they allowed the dance places and gym studios to stay open.  Keep us updated on how you all are holding up.  

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic