• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

16 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Interesting discussion, guys.

My wife works for an accounting firm and yesterday we were talking about the taxation of these unemployment checks. Without a doubt, people are going to spend their total income from these checks, and not put anything aside for when tax season comes. What will we do then? Print more money and bail them out???

Although it won't fix human greed, America needs to do a much better job at teaching its citizens, at a younger age, budgeting strategies. We spend, spend, spend...but so many don't know how to budget, save, and work with what they have. Sure, we need cash flow...but it needs to be cycled in a more responsible manner.

I thought you could choose to have taxes automatically deducted from the checks.

13 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Hey...Iron plates and protein have gotten WAY more expensive lol

We have seen our grocery bill explode this year.  Whether it’s from supply and demand, price gouging (which is basically supply and demand, right?), one thing is for sure:  Most prices that increased recently won’t go back to “pre-pandemic” levels ever again. Go up 15%, maybe go back down to the equivalent of “only” a 5-10% increase?   

Just now, TugHillMatt said:

You can. I am skeptical of some Americans being responsible enough in doing so...or they will choose not to just so they can find a way to be "saved" when tax season comes.

Agreed. It would be tempting to not do it for a larger check.

Just now, vortmax said:

Agreed. It would be tempting to not do it for a larger check.

Indeed! It's almost like a sale at a store where they say, "It's only $....." and then putting in tiny wording discussing taxes. So a person forgets about that.

We need a big poster alongside these unemployment checks saying, "$300!!! But deduct some from that because of TAX."

If FB Marketplace was an actual indicator of price drops or increases, I would say prices have gone WAAAAAY up....lol

Scrolling through this weekend, I was surprised at how many things were being sold like JUST under their original sales price. I think this is an indicator though of just how many people may be selling things to try and make ends meet. :( 

• Like 1

I had the taxes taken out as well. I knew that there would be a hell of a bill to pay if I didn’t.

Hopefully, it covers what the costs of the year will add up to.

Ive also saved the majority of the money as well. Not driving around for a few months saved me a decent amount and I have the best saving I’ve ever had.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, knight_raven said:

I had the taxes taken out as well. I knew that there would be a hell of a bill to pay if I didn’t.

Hopefully, it covers what the costs of the year will add up to.

Ive also saved the majority of the money as well. Not driving around for a few months saved me a decent amount and I have the best saving I’ve ever had.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. My wife is the amazing budget person in our family and an Emergency Fund is so so important.

A little plug: Dave Ramsey has many great tips that have helped many Americans get out of a financial crisis. 

• Like 3

Heading up with a bunch of people to hike some more high peaks this weekend. We are going to backpacking for 3 days. We will be sleeping in hammocks. Conditions look quite cold up there this weekend. We are doing 5 more peaks, the Dix range. I'm thinking 30s on the high peaks. 

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/new-york/dix-range

Dix Range Map

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. My wife is the amazing budget person in our family and an Emergency Fund is so so important.

A little plug: Dave Ramsey has many great tips that have helped many Americans get out of a financial crisis. 

Just don't save too much. Make sure to live. I've seen so many death certs on my desk the last few months. Some of the craziest stories. Tomorrow is not guaranteed. Get out there and enjoy this planet! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Just don't save too much. Make sure to live. I've seen so many death certs on my desk the last few months. Some of the craziest stories. Tomorrow is not guaranteed. Get out there and enjoy this planet! 

Good point! I know you definitely enjoy life. :) It's all in balance. I make some sacrifices to work at a job that I love but don't get paid very well...so money is not as readily available to spend on big things. My wife, being an amazing saver, finds it more challenging to get out and spend money on fun things. Some of that deals with her past of growing up in poverty though.

10 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Good point! I know you definitely enjoy life. :) It's all in balance. I make some sacrifices to work at a job that I love but don't get paid very well...so money is not as readily available to spend on big things. My wife, being an amazing saver, finds it more challenging to get out and spend money on fun things. Some of that deals with her past of growing up in poverty though.

Balance in everything. Always good to be frugal, have an Emergency fund, and save for retirement. But always spend money on things you enjoy and people you love. My moms on her way out at 55 years old. It came out of no where. I let my phone ring so she can leave voicemails. I want to listen to it when that day eventually comes. 

• Sad 4

30 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Balance in everything. Always good to be frugal, have an Emergency fund, and save for retirement. But always spend money on things you enjoy and people you love. My moms on her way out at 55 years old. It came out of no where. I let my phone ring so she can leave voicemails. I want to listen to it when that day eventually comes. 

Aw, I am so sorry and saddened to hear this. Is this related to her cancer journey or something else? I am a man of prayer and will be praying for peace and comfort for you and your family during this tough time. Regardless of what you believe or don't believe, please don't hesitate to shoot me a message. Life is so short and fleeting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

If FB Marketplace was an actual indicator of price drops or increases, I would say prices have gone WAAAAAY up....lol

Scrolling through this weekend, I was surprised at how many things were being sold like JUST under their original sales price. I think this is an indicator though of just how many people may be selling things to try and make ends meet. :( 

Yea I was in the market for a 4 wheeler, they absolutely exploded in price right after the stimulus checks went out.

• Like 1

Great conversation all...and possibly the best to come...from the AP, Reuters and others, it has been confirmed that a 31 yr old fron Hong Kong has officially contracted different strains of Covid- 19...this was done through research through labs that have identified new and different strain than the first virus contracted 4 mos ago. The man is asympotmatic and they are thrilled that the immune response acted just as it should in muting the New strain from developing further...if this has legs herd immunity or a vaccine of positive patients plasma may not be far off... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Luke_Mages said:

Still looking. There was a can-am 400 that popped the other day for $500 that needed a new top end but someone beat me to it. 

I was looking for a little CRF50/70/110 for my 7yr old but they are so overpriced on the used market that he’ll be waiting a year.  I plan to keep my eyes open over the next year or two when some of these ATVs/SxS/dirt bikes are for sale with hardly any use.  Hoping to upgrade for cheap.  Even thought of selling my 2001 Sportsman 500 right now while the market is up, but I can’t go a winter without it....it’s my firewood hauler.  

7 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Aw, I am so sorry and saddened to hear this. Is this related to her cancer journey or something else? I am a man of prayer and will be praying for peace and comfort for you and your family during this tough time. Regardless of what you believe or don't believe, please don't hesitate to shoot me a message. Life is so short and fleeting.

Yeah, her cancer came back and its not he best diagnoses so far. Shes gets chemo every 3 weeks and immunotherapy which is experimental treatment plan that is very expensive. Appreciate your thought and prayers!

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I had the best workout of my life tonight. Went at around 830 and only 25 or so people in the entire gym. Everyone wore mask and wiped everything down. Feels good to be back!

The YMCA here in Baldwinsville...is on strictly reserved usage. You can make reservations to use the track, basketball courts and pool and they are doing "live stream classes" but I look forward to being able to actually go and use the facilities again. It is a very popular, newer Y, so I imagine it may be difficult to get a "slot" when they do open back up at a minimum capacity.

• Like 2

Oswego county confirmed cases..

1-5 confirmed cases: Albion, Amboy, Boylston, Hannibal, Minetto, New Haven, Orwell, Palermo, Parish, Redfield, Sandy Creek, Williamstown

6-10 confirmed cases: Mexico, Oswego Town, West Monroe

11-20 confirmed cases: Constantia, Granby, Richland, Scriba, Volney

21-30 confirmed cases: Hastings, Schroeppel

31-40 confirmed cases: No municipality

41-50 confirmed cases: City of Oswego

Over 50 confirmed cases: City of Fulton

So we canceled our trip on Saturday to Dacks, but have off Monday so heading up tomorrow with the wife and dog to do Street and Nye. Will be my 15th peak and my dogs 10th!

Here are one of the trails someone posted summer vs winter on reddit. Made me excited to do some mid winter high peaks. The snow depth up there is insane!

3zysru7mcrj51.jpg?width=4032&format=pjpg

56g88cnmcrj51.jpg?width=4032&format=pjpg

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic