• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

On 8/10/2020 at 3:03 PM, rochesterdave said:

I’d go crazy in Pulaski. They suffer a similar thing that Oswego City does- the heavy stuff jumps right over them. It would be great to live on the Lake though. 
Where would you really like to live? Seems like your last locale was pretty good for snow. 
Fulton and Mexico used to get slammed but that seems to have move North. IDK. 
Im still focused on trying to get a place on Brantingham Lake but the prices have jumped. I had a bead on a nice little cottage for 225 but it wasn’t winterized AT ALL. Would cost me 50k just to do that. It sold and I’d bet it’s worth 50 k more than it was just a few months ago. Might just be seasonal adjustments. Who wants to buy a 3 season home in the off season, right??

Anyway, super psyched you’re sticking around. 

Hey Dave :D

My top priority is getting a decent house more so than the average snowfall.. Outside of the tug area most of Oswego county averages 125"-175" of snow, for example I didn't notice much of a difference between Fulton and Altmar except it's a little colder so the snow sticks around longer.. Pulaski always looks like a Rip off zone because it's directly west of the southern tug but in reality they see 150"-175" most years, most :weenie: would die for that lol I"m looking at houses anywhere from Fulton/Oswego to Pulaski/Altmar, preferably something near 81..I mean right now I'm living in a pretty snowy area(Copenhagen) and am trying to be out before winter lol Shows you how much I actually care.. Around here all we have is cows, corn and windmills haha.. Houses are flying right now with quite a low interest rate, I've already contacted wells Fargo for a pre-approval so we'll see how that goes..Take it easy and thanks ...

It always looks worse because of the neighbors to the east but unless I go up in elevation, it's all the same lol

2016-2017_snow.png

download.png

5 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

My top priority is getting a decent house more so than the average snowfall.. Outside of the tug area most of Oswego county averages 125"-175" of snow, for example I didn't notice much of a difference between Fulton and Altmar except it's a little colder so the snow sticks around longer.. Pulaski always looks like a Rip off zone because it's directly west of the southern tug but in reality they see 150"-175" most years, most :weenie: would die for that lol I"m looking at houses anywhere from Fulton/Oswego to Pulaski/Altmar, preferably something near 81..I mean right now I'm living in a pretty snowy area(Copenhagen) and am trying to be out before winter lol Shows you how much I actually care.. Around here all we have is cows, corn and windmills haha.. Houses are flying right now with quite a low interest rate, I've already contacted wells Fargo for a pre-approval so we'll see how that goes..Take it easy and thanks ...

Exactly. 150" a year is an insane amount of snow. It beats basically anyone east of the Rockies except snowbelts and really high elevations. 

• Like 1

A group of House Democrats is pushing Speaker Nancy Pelosi to vote on a bill to extend extra unemployment benefits when the chamber convenes this weekend. 

In a letter dated Tuesday, the lawmakers urged the California Democrat and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer to take up legislation that would reinstate the lapsed $600 per week jobless benefit until the coronavirus public health emergency ends, then phase it out as state unemployment rates fall.

The House, which left Washington for its August recess before Congress could pass a pandemic aid package, will return on Saturday to vote on a bill that would fund the U.S. Postal Service and reverse changes Democrats worry will make it harder for Americans to vote by mail in November. 

"We owe it to people waiting to get back to work across the country not only to extend unemployment benefits to help them pay their bills, but to tie these benefits to economic conditions so workers are not held hostage by another cliff like this one," Democratic Reps. Scott Peters of California, Don Beyer of Virginia and Derek Kilmer of Washington wrote in the letter shared with CNBC. They referenced the expiration of enhanced unemployment insurance at the end of July. 

It is unclear how many other House Democrats will sign on to the letter. The request to Pelosi underscores the pressure Congress faces to pass more legislation to try to curb an economic crisis as Washington stands at a stalemate on an aid deal. Lifelines such as the jobless benefits, a federal moratorium on evictions and the application window for Paycheck Protection Program small business loans have all expired. 

Democratic leaders and the Trump administration have not restarted relief talks since they collapsed earlier this month. Pelosi has put forward a more than $3 trillion rescue package, but Republicans have proposed a roughly $1 trillion plan.

The sides have failed to find common ground.

"We have to try to come to that agreement now," Pelosi told Politico on Tuesday. She said Democrats are "willing to cut our bill in half to meet the needs right now." 

Her spokesman Drew Hammill clarified to CNBC that she was reiterating her previous stance. She has said she would start discussions again if Republicans doubled their roughly $1 trillion relief offer. 

NBC News reported Tuesday that the House is considering voting on a reined in version of the more than $3 trillion legislation it passed in May. 

On 8/17/2020 at 6:42 PM, knight_raven said:

I went through our labor day storm here in syracuse that was a derecho event that came in on Labor Day eve of 1998.
https://www.syracuse.com/news/2018/09/labor_day_storm_1998_20_years_ago_the_fist_of_god_hit_syracuse.html

The things I remember most about that night was the color of the sky. It glowed green and purple under the constant lightning.  The 4 bands of winds that came through had to be gusting to around 75-80mph. It tore trees up around here like nothing I'd seen before. It took around an hour for the storm to pass through completely. It was the only time our family gathered in the stairwell of the house because we felt the need to. Power was knocked out for around 5-6 days, a few vendors over at the fairgrounds were killed because they were tenting at the fairgrounds near their booths. A major church lost one of it's steeples that only recently got replaced.

It was a hell of a storm and every labor day weekend there are retrospective shows on that nights weather and how we all pulled together to clean up and make it.

I was interested in that event, so I was watching the videos of it on YouTube yesterday. Do you know how Lysander/Bville area faired during the event?

13 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

It always looks worse because of the neighbors to the east but unless I go up in elevation, it's all the same lol

2016-2017_snow.png

download.png

I've been looking for places in the Granby area...close enough to Fulton to cash in on some of the westerly bands, but close enough to work in Bville. I also prefer rural living. I love Baldwinsville and find it to be a beautiful village. Housing is definitely more expensive though and sells so FAST. I still include Bville and Phoenix in my search.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

I was interested in that event, so I was watching the videos of it on YouTube yesterday. Do you know how Lysander/Bville area faired during the event?

I've been looking for places in the Granby area...close enough to Fulton to cash in on some of the westerly bands, but close enough to work in Bville. I also prefer rural living. I love Baldwinsville and find it to be a beautiful village. Housing is definitely more expensive though and sells so FAST. I still include Bville and Phoenix in my search.

I am sorry to say I am not familiar how your area dealt with it. I am from the Onondaga Hill area and worked at a place over towards Solvay/Fairmount at the time.

14 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

A group of House Democrats is pushing Speaker Nancy Pelosi to vote on a bill to extend extra unemployment benefits when the chamber convenes this weekend. 

In a letter dated Tuesday, the lawmakers urged the California Democrat and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer to take up legislation that would reinstate the lapsed $600 per week jobless benefit until the coronavirus public health emergency ends, then phase it out as state unemployment rates fall.

The House, which left Washington for its August recess before Congress could pass a pandemic aid package, will return on Saturday to vote on a bill that would fund the U.S. Postal Service and reverse changes Democrats worry will make it harder for Americans to vote by mail in November. 

"We owe it to people waiting to get back to work across the country not only to extend unemployment benefits to help them pay their bills, but to tie these benefits to economic conditions so workers are not held hostage by another cliff like this one," Democratic Reps. Scott Peters of California, Don Beyer of Virginia and Derek Kilmer of Washington wrote in the letter shared with CNBC. They referenced the expiration of enhanced unemployment insurance at the end of July. 

It is unclear how many other House Democrats will sign on to the letter. The request to Pelosi underscores the pressure Congress faces to pass more legislation to try to curb an economic crisis as Washington stands at a stalemate on an aid deal. Lifelines such as the jobless benefits, a federal moratorium on evictions and the application window for Paycheck Protection Program small business loans have all expired. 

Democratic leaders and the Trump administration have not restarted relief talks since they collapsed earlier this month. Pelosi has put forward a more than $3 trillion rescue package, but Republicans have proposed a roughly $1 trillion plan.

The sides have failed to find common ground.

"We have to try to come to that agreement now," Pelosi told Politico on Tuesday. She said Democrats are "willing to cut our bill in half to meet the needs right now." 

Her spokesman Drew Hammill clarified to CNBC that she was reiterating her previous stance. She has said she would start discussions again if Republicans doubled their roughly $1 trillion relief offer. 

NBC News reported Tuesday that the House is considering voting on a reined in version of the more than $3 trillion legislation it passed in May. 

Hope something gets passed. Still no word from my wifes employer. She has begun looking for new jobs. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 9:27 AM, BuffaloWeather said:

Exactly. 150" a year is an insane amount of snow. It beats basically anyone east of the Rockies except snowbelts and really high elevations. 

Except when the guy up the street is getting twice that- it might make me a bit crazy. Wolfie routinely stays up until 1 am, during storms, to catch the EURO. He’s as crazy as they get for snow. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, rochesterdave said:

Except when the guy up the street is getting twice that- it might make me a bit crazy. Wolfie routinely stays up until 1 am, during storms, to catch the EURO. He’s as crazy as they get for snow. Lol

10 minutes down the road from me gets an extra 75" a year. Doesn't really bother me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

This is true and why I laughed when he said he was going to NJ. Never gonna happen. 

• Haha 1

On 8/19/2020 at 10:38 AM, BuffaloWeather said:

Hope something gets passed. Still no word from my wifes employer. She has begun looking for new jobs. 

Looks like Cuomo had a change of heart, obviously better than nothing..

NEW YORK (WHEC) — New York is now applying for the Lost Wages Assistance program.

New Yorkers who are unemployed because of the coronavirus pandemic will be eligible for an extra $300 per week, but first, the state has to apply for the program through FEMA, which could take a few weeks.

A statement from Budget Director Robert Mujica says the following:

"Now that the federal government has blinked and will no longer make states provide funding they do not have, New York State will apply for the Lost Wages Assistance program. As Governor Cuomo has said, politics does not impact policy -- especially during a pandemic -- and if New Yorkers are in need, this administration will do everything we can to support them. But make no mistake, this does not absolve Washington from doing its job, and they must pass a comprehensive aid package that provides a stable extension of unemployment benefits, repeals the SALT cap and supports local and state governments. Anything else would simply be unacceptable." 

• Like 1

When are we getting $400 unemployment weekly? This is ridiculous, 19 states already approved for it and NY is not one of them yet. My work hours got reduced back in May where I have to work 4 days a week instead of 5 days. It was nice getting extra $600 weekly since it lasted when I only have to miss 1 day of work. I'm hoping for the same when it comes to $400 weekly. :) 

It's basically going to be 1 check backdated 3-4 weeks..Kinda surprised nobody is trying to block it lol 

Trump was smart here, make the Democrats look bad if they try to take it to court lol Just like he knew it was only for a few weeks but extended it till"December".

12 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

It's basically going to be 1 check backdated 3-4 weeks..Kinda surprised nobody is trying to block it lol 

Trump was smart here, make the Democrats look bad if they try to take it to court lol Just like he knew it was only for a few weeks but extended it till"December".

Yeah I don't think NYS has any money to provide the extra $100 per week. But I'll take the $300, would help out a lot while she job searches. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah I don't think NYS has any money to provide the extra $100 per week. But I'll take the $300, would help out a lot while she job searches. 

Hopefully $300 will qualify for people who got their hours reduced like I did with $600 weekly. 

Ok, this conversation is irksome.

First off, there are jobs available. Easier to sit around and get money then go apply for jobs and actually work for a paycheck.

Second, there are people who work their butts off and don't make 600 bucks a week.

Perhaps people need to start prioritizing and cutting things out that they realistically can't afford. Ohhhh, that's right....people can be irresponsible and selfish with their money and then get "bailed out" for it...while other hard-working people have to pay for the stupidity and idiocy of others.

On 8/21/2020 at 8:14 PM, wolfie09 said:

It's $300 a week, only $400 if states throw in $100, FEMA only has enough for 3-4 weeks, going to be up to Congress for any extended benefits..

Link to follow, scroll to bottom..

And now it says "pre application" Which was "not paid " earlier.

https://www.unemploymentpua.com/articles/lwatracker.html

Screenshot_20200821-201607.png

Now it's finally applied so we will be getting $300 weekly soon. Huge advantage for people who got their hours reduced like me. Can't wait! So excited. Do you know how long it will last? Until December? 

3 hours ago, brentrich said:

Now it's finally applied so we will be getting $300 weekly soon. Huge advantage for people who got their hours reduced like me. Can't wait! So excited. Do you know how long it will last? Until December? 

The "executive order" is till December but FEMA has 44 bill to spend Which will last about 3-4 weeks...

I want to apologize for the lack of compassion I showed in my post yesterday. I know this has been a rough time for many. I battle in myself being joyful that people who are downtrodden are being taken care of vs. being frustrated with those who take advantage of everybody and everything (of which I have no control over).

Peace.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

I want to apologize for the lack of compassion I showed in my post yesterday. I know this has been a rough time for many. I battle in myself being joyful that people who are downtrodden are being taken care of vs. being frustrated with those who take advantage of everybody and everything (of which I have no control over).

Peace.

Don't worry Tug. We don't pay for any of this, they just print more money. Our Federal tax bracket is unlikely to change. If any taxes do go up it will be the state. And UI benefits through the state are paid for by the company you work for. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Don't worry Tug. We don't pay for any of this, they just print more money. Our Federal tax bracket is unlikely to change. If any taxes do go up it will be the state. And UI benefits through the state are paid for by the company you work for. 

"Cringe..." I guess it's "safer" to do such during a time when the whole world economy is suffering...

13 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Peace.

When I first read your post I thought I wrote it lol. I agree that plenty are taking advantage but also don't want to stomp on the hearts of those who do want to work but cant find anything.

I just don't see how we aren't pushing inflation rates up with the way were printing money. Like how do we discern the skyrocketing prices of some goods out there from being from demand or reduced economic output? You'd think with both happening at the same time at some point the bubble will burst. Or even worse what happens with all of outstanding mortgage and student loan money not being repaid? Its simply all pushed into the future? Something has to give...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

When I first read your post I thought I wrote it lol. I agree that plenty are taking advantage but also don't want to stomp on the hearts of those who do want to work but cant find anything.

I just don't see how we aren't pushing inflation rates up with the way were printing money. Like how do we discern the skyrocketing prices of some goods out there from being from demand or reduced economic output? You'd think with both happening at the same time at some point the bubble will burst. Or even worse what happens with all of outstanding mortgage and student loan money not being repaid? Its simply all pushed into the future? Something has to give...

We're actually in a deflationary rate environment right now. Things are cheaper now. The theory that printing money endlessly causes prices to skyrocket may not be true in modern society like it was in the past. Their are many factors that go into this. population, consumer spending, consumer saving, etc....

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/current-inflation-rates/

Interesting discussion, guys.

My wife works for an accounting firm and yesterday we were talking about the taxation of these unemployment checks. Without a doubt, people are going to spend their total income from these checks, and not put anything aside for when tax season comes. What will we do then? Print more money and bail them out???

Although it won't fix human greed, America needs to do a much better job at teaching its citizens, at a younger age, budgeting strategies. We spend, spend, spend...but so many don't know how to budget, save, and work with what they have. Sure, we need cash flow...but it needs to be cycled in a more responsible manner.

34 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

We're actually in a deflationary rate environment right now. Things are cheaper now. The theory that printing money endlessly causes prices to skyrocket may not be true in modern society like it was in the past. Their are many factors that go into this. population, consumer spending, consumer saving, etc....

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/current-inflation-rates/

Hey...Iron plates and protein have gotten WAY more expensive lol

• Haha 3

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic