• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

22 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Cuomo announces school can open if the infection rate is low.

So schools can open but not indoor dining? Yea that makes sense.

Smh

Indoor dining has been open here for 2 months. I just ate at a bar 2 days ago, was pretty normal. Gyms, movie theaters, sporting events, concerts remain closed. Makes no sense, open up everything. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Indoor dining has been open here for 2 months. I just ate at a bar 2 days ago, was pretty normal. Gyms, movie theaters, sporting events, concerts remain closed. Makes no sense, open up everything. 

Agree

Time to open everything up in limited capacity

23 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Agree

Time to open everything up in limited capacity

I’m on the cautious side, but as long as there is near 100% mask compliance and we shut things back down quickly if there’s a significant outbreak, and as long as we do contact tracing competently, then we should re-open almost everything.

Been a bitch of a couple weeks lol I originally had an apartment in Adams NY but some maintenance issues postponed it until mid month which was to late, then I found a nice house for rent on the water in sackets harbor, I go to move in Friday and the place was infested with fleas!! Like WTF lol Luckly I got out of that lease pretty quick..So I was lucky enough to contact the Copenhagen apt complex over the weekend and get the apartment on a SHORT TERM lease...lol I bring that up because that's the bad new here, most likely will be out of here before winter :thumbsdown: But the good news is the old lady has done a complete 180 on her desire to move out of NY State, could start the loan process within the next month or so..I think we'll be looking around C/N Oswego county between Mexico/parish/Pulaski..So yeah that's the Wolfie update for this week lol 

Cheers..

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

Been a bitch of a couple weeks lol I originally had an apartment in Adams NY but some maintenance issues postponed it until mid month which was to late, then I found a nice house for rent on the water in sackets harbor, I go to move in Friday and the place was infested with fleas!! Like WTF lol Luckly I got out of that lease pretty quick..So I was lucky enough to contact the Copenhagen apt complex over the weekend and get the apartment on a SHORT TERM lease...lol I bring that up because that's the bad new here, most likely will be out of here before winter :thumbsdown: But the good news is the old lady has done a complete 180 on her desire to move out of NY State, could start the loan process within the next month or so..I think we'll be looking around C/N Oswego county between Mexico/parish/Pulaski..So yeah that's the Wolfie update for this week lol 

Cheers..

Thank god! We need you here. Lol

• Haha 1

Cheers..

I’d go crazy in Pulaski. They suffer a similar thing that Oswego City does- the heavy stuff jumps right over them. It would be great to live on the Lake though. 
Where would you really like to live? Seems like your last locale was pretty good for snow. 
Fulton and Mexico used to get slammed but that seems to have move North. IDK. 
Im still focused on trying to get a place on Brantingham Lake but the prices have jumped. I had a bead on a nice little cottage for 225 but it wasn’t winterized AT ALL. Would cost me 50k just to do that. It sold and I’d bet it’s worth 50 k more than it was just a few months ago. Might just be seasonal adjustments. Who wants to buy a 3 season home in the off season, right??

Anyway, super psyched you’re sticking around. 

• Thanks 1

Cheers..

Good luck man. The real estate market is insanity right now. I bought my house last year in January for 160k. Just got it appraised and it's worth 190k. 30k in 1 year. Houses are going 10-50k above asking right now depending on price range. Some of my clients have said open houses have 20-30 bids each. Buffalo is still exploding in value. People realize how great of a place it is to live finally. I love this city. I've traveled all over the world and still find this place amazing. 

• Like 3

Cheers..

Nws BUf is looking for a weather spotter in Osceola...

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

If the whole country wasnt in such disarray, the Derecho event would be getting a lot more attention.  Probably one of the most powerful derechos in our lifetime to ever hit the US.  Iowa needs federal assistance big time.

https://littlevillagemag.com/caught-in-the-storm-in-cedar-rapids-brian-johannessen/

The governor of Iowa will finish the application for a presidential declaration on Monday due to all the damage assessment that needed to be done. Also, she spoke with both the Pres and VP and has been assured federal assistance. 

On 8/10/2020 at 3:03 PM, rochesterdave said:

I’d go crazy in Pulaski. They suffer a similar thing that Oswego City does- the heavy stuff jumps right over them. It would be great to live on the Lake though. 
Where would you really like to live? Seems like your last locale was pretty good for snow. 
Fulton and Mexico used to get slammed but that seems to have move North. IDK. 
Im still focused on trying to get a place on Brantingham Lake but the prices have jumped. I had a bead on a nice little cottage for 225 but it wasn’t winterized AT ALL. Would cost me 50k just to do that. It sold and I’d bet it’s worth 50 k more than it was just a few months ago. Might just be seasonal adjustments. Who wants to buy a 3 season home in the off season, right??

Anyway, super psyched you’re sticking around. 

When I lived in Redfield there were many times I would go from a solid snowpack to nothing on the ground in Pulaski. It seemed the days with grass showing easily outnumbered the days with a pack there. It was just one winter...but it was easy to see how location at a low elevation and near the lake was a big negative for snowfall.

On 8/10/2020 at 3:05 PM, BuffaloWeather said:

Good luck man. The real estate market is insanity right now. I bought my house last year in January for 160k. Just got it appraised and it's worth 190k. 30k in 1 year. Houses are going 10-50k above asking right now depending on price range. Some of my clients have said open houses have 20-30 bids each. Buffalo is still exploding in value. People realize how great of a place it is to live finally. I love this city. I've traveled all over the world and still find this place amazing. 

It's insane. I am casually checking out houses for sale and if you don't check EVERY DAY here in Baldwinsville you will likely miss out on a house. Listed one day...gone the next. It's a bit discouraging because the "Real estate game" is not something we are particularly interested in.

That's why I say "casually." Lol

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 3:47 PM, DeltaT13 said:

If the whole country wasnt in such disarray, the Derecho event would be getting a lot more attention.  Probably one of the most powerful derechos in our lifetime to ever hit the US.  Iowa needs federal assistance big time.

https://littlevillagemag.com/caught-in-the-storm-in-cedar-rapids-brian-johannessen/

Definitely the most intense one I've seen on camera. 14 min mark is just unreal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, WesterlyWx said:

I’m surprised you haven’t posted yet gyms can finally open up on Monday next week. 33% capacity and have to wear a mask the entire time.

I just saw that. How do you determine 33% capacity? And no one is wearing a mask their entire workout, just ain't happening. When they come in and when they leave, but during workout I'd say 50-75% of people won't wear a mask.

1 hour ago, Luke_Mages said:

Thats insane. Makes me sad to see those trees destroyed like that.

Tree loss is always so heartbreaking for me to watch.  Those trees across the road were probably 50-70 years old.  They will never be fully replaced in anyones lifetime living there now. 

Also, I always picture Derechos as having one very strong push of intense winds followed by lesser gusts.  I'm completely amazed to see that this storm had many rounds of severe winds over a 30 minute period.  I don't even understand how that happens in a storm like this. 

I always say I want strong storms, but thats a hard no for something like that.  Just devastating...

• Like 6

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I just saw that. How do you determine 33% capacity? And no one is wearing a mask their entire workout, just ain't happening. When they come in and when they leave, but during workout I'd say 50-75% of people won't wear a mask.

In Rochester, some of the gyms are saying that it will be by appointment only.  You will reserve a specific block of time for when you can be there.  You have to reserve these several days in advance.  At least that's how they plan to start back up.  We'll see where it goes from there. 

I've only worked out at home for the past 20 years so no effect on me, but I feel for all my friends who are struggling to find a routine without the gym.  I'm hoping things work out for you all.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

Tree loss is always so heartbreaking for me to watch.  Those trees across the road were probably 50-70 years old.  They will never be fully replaced in anyones lifetime living there now. 

Also, I always picture Derechos as having one very strong push of intense winds followed by lesser gusts.  I'm completely amazed to see that this storm had many rounds of severe winds over a 30 minute period.  I don't even understand how that happens in a storm like this. 

I always say I want strong storms, but thats a hard no for something like that.  Just devastating...

I went through our labor day storm here in syracuse that was a derecho event that came in on Labor Day eve of 1998.
https://www.syracuse.com/news/2018/09/labor_day_storm_1998_20_years_ago_the_fist_of_god_hit_syracuse.html

The things I remember most about that night was the color of the sky. It glowed green and purple under the constant lightning.  The 4 bands of winds that came through had to be gusting to around 75-80mph. It tore trees up around here like nothing I'd seen before. It took around an hour for the storm to pass through completely. It was the only time our family gathered in the stairwell of the house because we felt the need to. Power was knocked out for around 5-6 days, a few vendors over at the fairgrounds were killed because they were tenting at the fairgrounds near their booths. A major church lost one of it's steeples that only recently got replaced.

It was a hell of a storm and every labor day weekend there are retrospective shows on that nights weather and how we all pulled together to clean up and make it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

That thing looked like a Cat 2 hurricane with consistent neverending high end gusts. I also didn't think that was possible in a severe weather event. Usually they are extremely brief.

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic