• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

59 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

My wife just text me the state DOH just rolled up with 4 surveyors to investigate the findings of their facility to see if protocol was followed...they will not be surprised with their answers...

If the state DOH is requiring Nursing and Rehab facilities to accept covid-19 positive people that would normally be hospitalized, when there is space available in actual hospital facilities, there needs to be an investigation of the Department ASAP.  I have yet to discover a legitimate excuse for this decision.  People (myself included) love to bash Trump for his many inane statements but this decision can actually kill many people...something like 25% of covid-19 deaths are associated with Nursing / Rehab type facilities due to their elderly population.  It's almost tantamount to manslaughter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

NYS will most likely start reopening process June 1st and outside of very large events (concerts, sporting events) I would expect we see business as usually by July 4th. 

Business will not be back to normal for quite a while, probably not until an effective vaccine is developed.  Expect social distancing to remain in effect and all large gatherings such as sporting events, concerts and fairs to be cancelled.  Be ready for a “new” normal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CNY_WX said:

Business will not be back to normal for quite a while, probably not until an effective vaccine is developed.  Expect social distancing to remain in effect and all large gatherings such as sporting events, concerts and fairs to be cancelled.  Be ready for a “new” normal.

Yeah, going to suck with no concerts this summer. But everything else I believe will go back to normal. Typical beach days, parties, BBQ, etc... The worst will be Bills games with no fans. The best Bills team in 20 years and most likely we aren't going to be able to go to games. I was going to get seasons this year too. =(

2 hours ago, Syrmax said:

If the state DOH is requiring Nursing and Rehab facilities to accept covid-19 positive people that would normally be hospitalized, when there is space available in actual hospital facilities, there needs to be an investigation of the Department ASAP.  I have yet to discover a legitimate excuse for this decision.  People (myself included) love to bash Trump for his many inane statements but this decision can actually kill many people...something like 25% of covid-19 deaths are associated with Nursing / Rehab type facilities due to their elderly population.  It's almost tantamount to manslaughter.

It incensed me when my wife let me know this was the plan from Albany. In my opinion the State DOH is either corrupt, inept or both. My wife works at a sub par facility, which was never a great facility, it was well run and had good staff. That gas changed since the ownership group who purchased some 5 years ago that resides in NYC has destroyed whatever was good there with horrible decisions on management, workers and what type of patient they want. On many occasions my wife has bern certain her facility would be slapped with at minimum hefty fines or more serious punishments for many various violations yet the DOH looks the other way. They need to be investigated.

1 hour ago, brentrich said:

Ehh not so much, we have been seeing alot of 30k+ cases and 2k+ deaths for last 3-4 weeks now, no improvement yet. 

Not in New York State.  10 days ago deaths were almost 800 a day.  Now it’s down to 337.  I think you’re looking at national numbers which are going up in other parts of the country.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Do you think Rochester ,NY will is one of them that will get extended again? I hope not. 

59 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Buffalo/suburbs; Rochester/suburbs: Syracuse might be on the fence, same with Albany; rest of down state also extended. These are just my opinion not fact

Yeah, cases around here have very slowly been increasing. It's been slow enough that it hasn't put a heavy load locally. Tough to stay strong on locking things down locally for so long with minimal cases.

I have seen many people supporting the local businesses in ways that they can. The restaurants doing takeout have been thanking patrons via Social Media for helping to keep them operating and looking better financially than they were expecting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The conspiracy people are going to have a field day with that news.

I'm going to hazard a guess that they've been sandbagging numbers all along and this is an attempt to keep things under some sort of control.  It might be malicious calculating on the part of CCP or it could just be a result of re-opening with huge population centers without fully getting rid of the virus, which could be impossible until "herd immunity" does its dirty work.

1 hour ago, CNY_WX said:

Cuomo is in Syracuse for his press briefing today at 12:15.  I wonder if he’s going to announce that Central New York will be the first area to start relaxing lockdown restrictions after May 15?

Cuomo  said NYC will be last to open up in NY unless there is a miracle by May 15.

8 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

This is the percent of positive covid test that tell you if you have covid-19 at that moment in time, this is not the percentage for the antibody test just so it’s clear... WNY does not have 17 percent of population with antibodies already. 

Yes, that's what the title says. 80% of the deaths are from people over 70 years old that may have died anyways (impossible to track this). Factor in around 15%+ from pre existing conditions and you have a very small factor of the population that is impacted by this virus in any serious way.

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic