• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

3 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

While I agree that this could have been handled much better initially I think your numbers are pretty extreme. As the death total accelerates additional action will be taken. Better testing is being developed daily, hospitals will gain experience on treating and identifying critical cases, more lockdowns will be put in place, increases in UV and humidity will likely slow transmission etc, etc.  We aren’t just going to sit here and watch a million people die  

Maintaining exponential growth beyond a few orders of magnitude would be exceptionally rare and require us to basically do absolutely nothing. That is obviously not the case here.  I agree this will be bad but saying a million people will die is ridiculous.  I would be extremely shocked if we even hit 50k deaths.  I’m thinking we end up somewhere around 20-30k before herd immunity takes over it and it blends in with other seasonal maladies. 

Once again, I’m not marginalizing this but I’m also not blowing it out of proportion. The US is on its heels right now but I expect to see social distancing efforts begin to show their worth in the coming weeks.  I’ve been sheltering in place since requested in this state. I know I’ll eventually catch it, I just don’t want to catch it during the peak when hospitals are under heavier pressure in case I end up developing severe complications. 

My concern is that the social distancing efforts will be diluted so we have a flatter curve, but one that still exceeds our care capacity by several times.

A total failure of social distancing would result in millions of US deaths. We won’t hit that, but if the NYC area alone gets to tens of thousands of deaths, a million nationally isn’t out of the question.

I suspect that the virus is still being passed freely in much of the country. How much, I don’t know, but if we see 15+ hotspots in two weeks, we are on target for catastrophe.

Infection control at the hospital I work at are expecting a rapid ramp up of number of infected by early this week, with a peak arriving in 35-40 days. 
The numbers are increasing rapidly now. Unfortunately, deaths will likely follow.

Theres no way of knowing but I’m hopeful we got ahead of this a little bit once Trump started taking it seriously. I doubt you’ll hear much more about “full churches on Easter”. Which was always just a dog whistle to his evangelical nut jobs. 

• Like 1

This is how far a business is willing to go to generate revenue during the coronavirus pandemic.

GameStop, the video game retailer, sent employees in Massachusetts back to work on Friday — despite the statewide order shutting down all nonessential businesses. But instead of allowing customers inside, the store is doing curbside pickup, and employees have been given a set of specific and highly unusual instructions to let people pay at the door, according to a manager at a local store.

Workers have been told to wrap a plastic bag around one hand to protect it from exposure to the virus, open the door a crack, and take the customer’s credit card, the manager said. Employees are then to run the card with a hand still encased in the bag, flip the bag inside out, leaving the card inside, put the purchase in the bag, and hand it back through the door

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

LAST UPDATE: MARCH 28, 2020 | 2:55PM
Albany 195
Allegany 2
Broome 23
Cattaraugus 1
Cayuga 2
Chautauqua 5
Chemung 12
Chenango 8
Clinton 12
Columbia 22
Cortland 5
Delaware 8
Dutchess 262
Erie 318
Essex 4
Franklin 4
Fulton 1
Genesee 7
Greene 7
Hamilton 2
Herkimer 9
Jefferson 6
Livingston 5
Madison 19
Monroe 192
Montgomery 5
Nassau 5,537
Niagara 33
New York City 29,766
Oneida 23
Onondaga 129
Ontario 16
Orange 1,101
Orleans 3
Oswego 7
Otsego 7
Putnam 131
Rensselaer 38
Rockland 1,896
Saratoga 96
Schenectady 72
Schoharie 5
Schuyler 1
St. Lawrence 8
Steuben 13
Suffolk 4,138
Sullivan 72
Tioga 4
Tompkins 45
Ulster 128
Warren 13
Washington 6
Wayne 12
Westchester 7,875
Wyoming 7
Total Number of Positive Cases 52,318

22 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

This is how far a business is willing to go to generate revenue during the coronavirus pandemic.

GameStop, the video game retailer, sent employees in Massachusetts back to work on Friday — despite the statewide order shutting down all nonessential businesses. But instead of allowing customers inside, the store is doing curbside pickup, and employees have been given a set of specific and highly unusual instructions to let people pay at the door, according to a manager at a local store.

Workers have been told to wrap a plastic bag around one hand to protect it from exposure to the virus, open the door a crack, and take the customer’s credit card, the manager said. Employees are then to run the card with a hand still encased in the bag, flip the bag inside out, leaving the card inside, put the purchase in the bag, and hand it back through the door

I imagine quite a few people are playing video games while sitting in quarantine.  This is game stops big moment to turn an otherwise shitty situation into some profit! Sounds like they at least have something in place to limit exposure. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I imagine quite a few people are playing video games while sitting in quarantine.  This is game stops big moment to turn an otherwise shitty situation into some profit! Sounds like they at least have something in place to limit exposure. 

You can download games, or order them from an internet retailer, so the need (as such) can be met without exposing workers to a potentially fatal infection.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Yeah I guess but I'd rather just buy them from the 1000 retailers on line lol 

I actually just bought me a couple switch games online to get me through this haha

They can also receive a pretty hefty fine as they are a non essential business. 

I bought a switch the day after Trump’s “oh shit” speech (the one that caused stock indices to collapse), figuring we might get a lot of use out of it. Animal Crossing came out a week later, and my wife plays it for hours a day. Even our toddler loves to watch the little critters on the screen. Best purchase I have ever made!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

A party of 50 people was broken up by NJ police today. Host was arrested.

Wtf is wrong with people. 

Apparently a UB frat was promoting a big  party they planned to hold. Rumor has it that the Buffalo police and UB told them that wasn’t gonna happen.

Lol Nice!!

I just bought a switch light for the old lady for Christmas but we found out some games aren't compatible (super Mario party) ,  I took that one for myself and bought her the original, so now we can play on the TV as well..lol

I'm also a huge animal crossing fan and just purchased two, so we can both have our own island:lol: 

I agree, money well spent..

13 hours ago, WNash said:

This is absolutely bonkers. The source is a religious information website in Kansas, but the story goes back to completely implausible, conspiracy-mongering sources like the Epoch Times and Breitbart. You can’t make 21 million bodies vanish. The PRC did their typical thing of trying to hush the virus story, but it was too big to be hidden. With extreme social control and contact tracing, they lowered the infection rate, but the virus is still out there. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if the infection and fatalities are higher In China than reported, but in the last few days it seems like there’s an increased desperation on the part of the Trump-sympathetic media to claim that China undercounted deaths by orders of magnitude. Why the sudden attempt to make these explosive and unprovable claims? I think that as the horror of the coronavirus situation in the US becomes evident, there is an incentive to inflate the problem elsewhere to make Trump look better by comparison. 

This has been and still is being catastrophically mismanaged. What should have been a difficult but manageable public health crisis has turned into a runaway disaster in the US. Let’s be clear: at the current rate of infection increase, we are headed for an absolutely historic disaster, demographically and economically. I don’t see much being done to stop the biggest crisis in this country since the Civil War. We should be terrified and we should be enraged at the elites who brought us to this point and who still are trying to play their usual games. It is dumbfounding to see regular people try to fit this into their usual simple formula where everything is the fault of the other party. 

Every single person in power has failed us, and the people with the most power have failed us the most. We will be very lucky to escape this with only a million deaths and no social breakdown. But if you don’t hold the elites who let this happen to account, you actually deserve the immiseration that is likely going to hit us all.

If we're gonna reach a million + deaths, people gotta start dying in droves, fast! We're not even at 2K yet.  ;)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

I haven't left my property since I stocked up on meat 10 days ago, I'm making damn sure I don't catch this virus. Lol

Even if it doesn't kill me, I don't wanna get sick, who enjoys flu like symptoms? I know I don't lol

I go out every few days, and take walks, it's pretty rural here.  I went to a local restaurant/bar last eve to buy a take out dinner and get a couple "drinks to go" while I waited...which are now allowed by the State Liquor board on a temporary basis.   Other than that, the only places I've been is Home Depot for interior fix up now that i have time...and the Liquor store, before the local Kommisars put those off limits. ;)

One thing is for sure, judging by local social media, there are a fair number of closet Nazis and Kommunists masquerading as dogooder busybodies living amongst us. I'm pleased that they're outing themselves now, for future reference of course. ;)

• Haha 3

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said that he spoke with Trump on Saturday morning, but that the two had not discussed a quarantine.
"I don't even know what that means. I don't know how that could be legally enforceable," the Democratic governor said during in a news conference in Albany. "And from a medical point view, I don't know what you would be accomplishing."
"But I can tell you, I don't even like the sound of it," he added.
Trump, however, said that possible quarantine would be "enforceable" and "restrict travel" from those parts of the tri-state area. He also said any quarantine wouldn't affect truckers from outside the New York area.
"Restrict travel, because they're having problems down in Florida, a lot of New Yorkers going down. We don't want that," he said.
Florida's governor had mandated a 14-day self-quarantine or isolation period for travelers coming to Florida from airports in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. According to media reports, wealthy New Yorkers have fled Manhattan for vacation homes in the Hamptons, the Catskills, the Poconos, Florida and Connecticut.
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said during a call with Trump, the President mentioned the possibility of a quarantine "around the New York City area."
"There's a lot of logistics involved and I think the President is well suited to figure that out," DeSantis said during a Saturday briefing. "Whatever works I think we need to do."
DeSantis said it's not fair to Floridians "to just be airdropping in people from the hot zones, bringing infections with them." He added that New York officials were working hard and doing a great job but people are "dispersing from there."
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I drove by Hamburg beach yesterday around sunset. I've never seen more cars there and people on the beach then I did yesterday. Not one parking spot open. 

If people can maintain appropriate distances I've thought the beach is a great spot to go.  If I was in FL that's what I would do.  Of course, we then see photos of beaches looking like mosh pits (FL) and it just wrecks it for everyone.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, WNash said:

You can download games, or order them from an internet retailer, so the need (as such) can be met without exposing workers to a potentially fatal infection.

Well im not advocating one way or another just saying that as a brick and mortar they rely on selling from their storefront, and their financials have been pretty weak as of late. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:
DeSantis said it's not fair to Floridians "to just be airdropping in people from the hot zones, bringing infections with them." He added that New York officials were working hard and doing a great job but people are "dispersing from there."

This is similar behavior as what happened around Wuhan right before lockdown happened.  Not sure how you fully stop it in an "open" democratic society unless they chuck the rules completely...

• Like 1

One thing I was thinking about after returning from HD today...i dont wear a mask around but when doing self checkout, I wish I had brought nitrile gloves with me because they have you scan your items with a scan gun that you pick up to process your purchases.  I didn't see where the clueless teenage clerk standing around watching was making any effort to clean the scan guns after uses. I should have mentioned it to them. Next time...

• Like 1

FYI...Rhode Island not f@cking around with New Yorkers. Like a BOSS!

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-03-27/rhode-island-police-to-hunt-down-new-yorkers-seeking-refuge?__twitter_impression=true

On Saturday, the National Guard will help them conduct house-to-house searches to find people who traveled from New York and demand 14 days of self-quarantine.

Maybe it's time to polish up those ol' jack boots I've had stashed away for years. ;)

26 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

This is similar behavior as what happened around Wuhan right before lockdown happened.  Not sure how you fully stop it in an "open" democratic society unless they chuck the rules completely...

This probably doesn't help much. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/03/27/alarming-cell-phone-map-shows-how-spring-breakers-could-have-spread-coronavirus/amp/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

Super Mario Odyssey may be the best video game I've ever played, anything Mario is the shit but that game takes the Cake..

I'm a pretty big gamer, almost strictly PC right now. TF2, Overwatch, League of Legends. I stream on twitch once in awhile, a few friends are on the verge of turning it into a full time gig. Some of these kids on Twitch are making millions a year playing video games, its insane. But the N64 games still are the best. Goldeneye, Mario 64, DK, Mario Kart, Mario Party so many good memories with my family and friends growing up playing those games.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

If people can maintain appropriate distances I've thought the beach is a great spot to go.  If I was in FL that's what I would do.  Of course, we then see photos of beaches looking like mosh pits (FL) and it just wrecks it for everyone.

Yeah no one was staying far apart. Everyone was really close.

• Like 1

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

I'm a pretty big gamer, almost strictly PC right now. TF2, Overwatch, League of Legends. But the N64 games still are the best. Goldeneye, Mario 64, DK, Mario Kart, Mario Party so many good memories with my family and friends growing up playing those games.

I still enjoy my son's Call of Duty that we would play on his PS4. Compared to the Space Invaders, PacMan and Atari that I grew up with, this stuff is great!

• Like 1

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic