Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Korona Killer 3/23 Storm Obs

Ginx snewx

5 hours ago, tamarack said:

Not an option for my 2WD Ranger and the small hill to get up the driveway.  Unfortunately, starting from bare ground meant tossing some of the gravel into the lawn, just like in November.

Indeed, this time of year it's especially undesirable to run the snow thrower when the driveway gravel isn't frozen in place.  That kind of sets the threshold for actually clearing accumulations even a bit higher.  We’ve got a solid slope on the driveway, but thankfully we’re running Subarus with Nokian WR G3s or WR G4s on them, so unless they start to struggle we typically just pack it down.

17 hours ago, tamarack said:

Not an option for my 2WD Ranger and the small hill to get up the driveway.  Unfortunately, starting from bare ground meant tossing some of the gravel into the lawn, just like in November.

3 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Indeed, this time of year it's especially undesirable to run the snow thrower when the driveway gravel isn't frozen in place.  That kind of sets the threshold for actually clearing accumulations even a bit higher.  We’ve got a solid slope on the driveway, but thankfully we’re running Subarus with Nokian WR G3s or WR G4s on them, so unless they start to struggle we typically just pack it down.

All three of us are working/schooling from home so none of us really have to get out.  I just had my son clear the plow pile at the end of the driveway.  I didn't want to machine gun gravel all over the place.  The 4wd Acadia can get through the rest

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Install almost complete, Only thing left for them to do is the oil tank tomorrow, Back with heat and hot water, They did a very professional install.

Buderus.jpg

32 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

nice, clean install.

My dad did boiler and furnace installs and maintenance for 30 years.  He would approve of this install.  He was the type of guy who made sure to wipe down all the fittings after soldering them to clean the solder drips off the pipes.  He liked to make sure his installations were clean

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mreaves said:

All three of us are working/schooling from home so none of us really have to get out.  I just had my son clear the plow pile at the end of the driveway.  I didn't want to machine gun gravel all over the place.  The 4wd Acadia can get through the rest

That’s actually what we do a lot throughout the winter – simply clear the plow berm at the end of the driveway with shovels because that’s the only thing really presenting an issue.  I do have neighbors who clean up just about every storm, and with the climate here giving an average of 50 storms a season with a mean snowfall per storm of 3.2 inches, you can imagine that’s going to be a lot of work.  I really prefer to save the wear and tear on the equipment, impact on the environment, and the time required to get it done.  For folks that enjoy the shoveling as an activity or exercise, you can certainly get plenty of it here throughout the winter, but I’d rather just head out and go for a ski tour to make use of the snow.

12 minutes ago, mreaves said:

My dad did boiler and furnace installs and maintenance for 30 years.  He would approve of this install.  He was the type of guy who made sure to wipe down all the fittings after soldering them to clean the solder drips off the pipes.  He liked to make sure his installations were clean

They did the same, It was a father and son plumbing and heating company plus my heating guy, Who is the burner tech, Very meticulous at their craft.

5 hours ago, mreaves said:

I'd have preferred the pack down, but my wife generally drives the Forester (shopping or taking older ladies to their medical appts) and the Ranger wasn't going up thru 10".  When it's 5-6" powder, the snowblower stays parked, though the 3.5" of 3:1 "stuff" late last month brought it out from under the tarp before the mess had a chance to freeze.  (Frozen hard, it then held me but I weigh a bit less than the pickup.)  I like to get a good packed layer from the first storm or two to protect driveway, machine and nearby objects.