• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    hubric
    Newest Member
    hubric

2020 Spring and Summer mountain thread.

2 hours ago, Buckethead said:

Yeah down to 36 here. Just brought all of my plants back inside. 25 of them. Boy, am I tired of doing that. Last night of that I hope.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Yeah I hope so. Im ready to gardening on this season. We are down to 34 currently.  Already beating our forecast low for tomorrow morning. 

26 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Had another frost with a low of 27.

I don’t think we dropped down in the 20’s at all this cold snap,  no frost either that I saw and I know we hit at least 32 (probably lower) a couple different nights.  Sheltered in the trees and a slight breeze helped on both accounts I think. Plus it seemed there was a bit of an inversion some we were in between the valley and top of the ridge line.  

• Like 1

Looks like we are going to warm up but the GFS is advertising another cool down in about a week. Probably more unsettled weather also. It looks like we keep pushing back this hot and dry pattern a few have alluded to since the beginning of March. Obviously we are in the middle of May and we are not dry nor have we been hot. I think we may see some bouts of hot and dry towards the end of July into August but that is not uncommon at all for that time of the year. 

15 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Looks like we are going to warm up but the GFS is advertising another cool down in about a week. Probably more unsettled weather also. It looks like we keep pushing back this hot and dry pattern a few have alluded to since the beginning of March. Obviously we are in the middle of May and we are not dry nor have we been hot. I think we may see some bouts of hot and dry towards the end of July into August but that is not uncommon at all for that time of the year. 

Euro still shows warm and dry with a slight cool down early next week

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Both the EURO and the GFS have a trough cutting off and sitting over us for a few days. This will keep us unsettled and below average again starting around the 19th. 

Yea the Euro has caved and shows up to 4 inches of rain on the escarpment next week. 

• Like 1

Yeah I am seeing some big numbers showing yo here and around the escarpment areas. Looks like some 2 to 6 inches of rainfall this week. Hunter details this very well in his video this evening.  Rainforest I agree we need to keep an eye on the flood potential. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah I am seeing some big numbers showing yo here and around the escarpment areas. Looks like some 2 to 6 inches of rainfall this week. Hunter details this very well in his video this evening.  Rainforest I agree we need to keep an eye on the flood potential. 

I think with the low level SE flow the Blue Ridge escarpment will get slammed. 6 to locally 10 inches in places like Brevard up to Caldwell County if the orientation sets up right. 

Luckily the antecedent conditions have been pretty dry and water levels are low or normal on local streams

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

I think with the low level SE flow the Blue Ridge escarpment will get slammed. 6 to locally 10 inches in places like Brevard up to Caldwell County if the orientation sets up right. 

Luckily the antecedent conditions have been pretty dry and water levels are low or normal on local streams

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. We have gone through a bit of a dryer spell so that is good but that is a lot of rainfall in 5 days...

Hope everyone’s ark shipped this weekend 
I'm over this week's weather and it hasn't even gotten started. Long range looks unsettled, too. Really hope this doesn't ruin rhododendron season. Early blooms have been really nice.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RT1980 said:

Not positive but willing to bet it’s 1/5th of what is predicted!

These cutoffs like this can be real hard to nail down where the precipitation really sets up and trains over. Im taking the more increased totals because since November we have over shot our totals by a lot seems like every good storm that has come through.  This wont be a rain out by no means but we will get a training effect of storms and heavy rain that will result in some big totals, not to mention we will have oragraphical lifting on the lee side of the mountains and the southern escarpment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Met1985 said:

These cutoffs like this can be real hard to nail down where the precipitation really sets up and trains over. Im taking the more increased totals because since November we have over shot our totals by a lot seems like every good storm that has come through.  This wont be a rain out by no means but we will get a training effect of storms and heavy rain that will result in some big totals, not to mention we will have oragraphical lifting on the lee side of the mountains and the southern escarpment. 

Agreed. I can't recall when historic flooding hasn't verified over the past two years lol. It's been an insanely wet period over western NC as of late. 

• Like 2