• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020 Spring and Summer mountain thread.

Met1985

Yup. I think I'm addicted. I might have some questions lol.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Just lemme know. I highly, highly recommend Babel Tower next. It's a fairly easy/popular hike and a great intro into how steep the Gorge trails can get. Hawksbill is the best peak view although Celestial Point up at the north end is also good. I scrambled/bushwhacked down into a hard to reach spot off the LGT back in the spring for this view.

Your best resource by a long shot is Avenza. There are high res maps of the Gorge on there put together by the Gorge Rats (namely the Massey family). 3ee2013741ee9ce3f7b5ef7b0051a48d.jpg
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:

Just lemme know. I highly, highly recommend Babel Tower next. It's a fairly easy/popular hike and a great intro into how steep the Gorge trails can get. Hawksbill is the best peak view although Celestial Point up at the north end is also good. I scrambled/bushwhacked down into a hard to reach spot off the LGT back in the spring for this view.

Your best resource by a long shot is Avenza. There are high res maps of the Gorge on there put together by the Gorge Rats (namely the Massey family). 3ee2013741ee9ce3f7b5ef7b0051a48d.jpg

Some good smallmouth fishing there!

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 8:13 PM, Tyler Penland said:

Was this your first trip to the Gorge at all? If so Wisemans is just the start. I've hiked all over that place and done a little climbing/rapelling. It's insane.

You guys are so old fashioned. This is the 21st century. Hike? Uh-uh. Not me.

IMG_0010.jpeg.ebceeb8faee458f7b47bb263e957a437.jpeg

• Haha 2

Made my first trip to Wiseman's View last night. Watched an impressive storm blow up near Charlotte. Had a great sunset and afer dark wasn't bad either. We even saw a weird glowing area on the gorge floor with no infrared signature.

That place is great!79061d8d72ce8e44976a5ad0993f3fb3.jpg&key=8d33229c7655a2eaa4308ddb5f8b4561aeabcf90927eca8752d86185a716333253b1f6c5817091b5136627352aea68ec.jpg&key=b400fe093a7d6cd9d008ff57427bd0e855502fe5210acab9f3d289c4310825d53c0b36cdb4a7a8ca7d201eab40c7a807.jpg&key=ff0e7f06c741f7b1c9224e36146ec1e0c2d04d5a375e435538498f8a696229d6

Amazing pics!

I agree with Tyler. The Gorge has amazing hikes. I once camped on the western rim (Wiseman's side) just before Christmas. Crazy cold, but what an adventure!

On the eastern rim you can combine a lot of the peaks into the same hike (e.g., Table Rock, Hawksbill, and Sitting Bear). You can also hike up Shortoff from the base near Lake James and ridge walk over to Table Rock. It's quite exposed to the sun as you hike up, but once up on top it is almost level for quite a ways.

I'm currently on my way back from Rocky Mountain NP. Lots of amazing hikes over the past two weeks. Those mountains are so different from our own, but each are beautiful in their own ways.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Buckethead said:

I haven't had a drop of rain at my house in over a week now. Storms all around almost daily, but nothing.

Transylvania has been getting hammered. By the way, this is how it felt watching your snow posts all winter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Buckethead said:

I haven't had a drop of rain at my house in over a week now. Storms all around almost daily, but nothing.

Same here, had lightning within 1/4 mile of the house but no more than a few drops of rain. 

• Like 1

Been at Hilton Head all week. Its been a scorcher here with temps running from 90 to 98 everyday.  I have heard from family though back home that we have had multiple storns with localized flooding and even some hail. Looks like we will some some relief from the heat though with a trough coming through soon.

On 7/21/2020 at 1:48 PM, Buckethead said:

I haven't *not* had a drop of rain at my house every day this past week. I'll trade ya. I'm tired of the mowing lol!

• Like 2

It's been raining here almost nonstop since noon. I'd gladly trade.
Normally I'd take the dry weather, but its actually getting too dry. The top of my mountain has an abundant supply of two things: dry grass and campers on the AT making illegal fires.

So I start out this morning at 0729 with a lightning strike that took out my modem and router and knocked out power and knocked down two 80' chestnuts.

That was probably the most intense electrical storm I've seen up here. The hailstorm we had last month was tamer than this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buckethead said:

So I start out this morning at 0729 with a lightning strike that took out my modem and router and knocked out power and knocked down two 80' chestnuts.

That was probably the most intense electrical storm I've seen up here. The hailstorm we had last month was tamer than this.

Holy cow, I had no idea there were storms in the area until I looked at the radar at about 10:30 am (I took the pictures at 6:51 am).  The power of storms is always fascinating to see but the damage sucks. 

Have since had some light rain here but nothing like what you had.

• Like 1

3 hours later and its still raining. We need a full week to dry out. The garden is suffering because its been way too wet here.
Totally different situation here. I'm back to storms all around but zero rain at the house. That's summertime for ya.

18 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Totally different situation here. I'm back to storms all around but zero rain at the house. That's summertime for ya.

Man I wish we could catch a break here. The funny thing is that they blow up right over us and then just rain itself out. The ground is so saturated its ridiculous.  Like I said the garden is suffering. 

Just now, wncsnow said:

We've kinda been the Goldilocks just right amount here. About 2 inches the past 7 or 8 days. Nothing too excessive but certainly not dry. .25 here, .75 there. 

Streams looking healthy again. 

Yeah thats not bad. These microclimates in the summer are just as fascinating as in the winter. I feel like we are borderline rainforest climate here the past 3 or 4 years.

23 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah thats not bad. These microclimates in the summer are just as fascinating as in the winter. I feel like we are borderline rainforest climate here the past 3 or 4 years.

For sure. Some places on the Blue Ridge near Mt Mitchell have had 7 to 8 inches the past week or so. Storms have been popping in the same locations over and over. 

• Like 1