• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020 Spring and Summer mountain thread.

Met1985

Looks like we are going to warm up but the GFS is advertising another cool down in about a week. Probably more unsettled weather also. It looks like we keep pushing back this hot and dry pattern a few have alluded to since the beginning of March. Obviously we are in the middle of May and we are not dry nor have we been hot. I think we may see some bouts of hot and dry towards the end of July into August but that is not uncommon at all for that time of the year. 

15 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Looks like we are going to warm up but the GFS is advertising another cool down in about a week. Probably more unsettled weather also. It looks like we keep pushing back this hot and dry pattern a few have alluded to since the beginning of March. Obviously we are in the middle of May and we are not dry nor have we been hot. I think we may see some bouts of hot and dry towards the end of July into August but that is not uncommon at all for that time of the year. 

Euro still shows warm and dry with a slight cool down early next week

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Both the EURO and the GFS have a trough cutting off and sitting over us for a few days. This will keep us unsettled and below average again starting around the 19th. 

Yea the Euro has caved and shows up to 4 inches of rain on the escarpment next week. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah I am seeing some big numbers showing yo here and around the escarpment areas. Looks like some 2 to 6 inches of rainfall this week. Hunter details this very well in his video this evening.  Rainforest I agree we need to keep an eye on the flood potential. 

I think with the low level SE flow the Blue Ridge escarpment will get slammed. 6 to locally 10 inches in places like Brevard up to Caldwell County if the orientation sets up right. 

Luckily the antecedent conditions have been pretty dry and water levels are low or normal on local streams

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

I think with the low level SE flow the Blue Ridge escarpment will get slammed. 6 to locally 10 inches in places like Brevard up to Caldwell County if the orientation sets up right. 

Luckily the antecedent conditions have been pretty dry and water levels are low or normal on local streams

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. We have gone through a bit of a dryer spell so that is good but that is a lot of rainfall in 5 days...

7 hours ago, RT1980 said:

Not positive but willing to bet it’s 1/5th of what is predicted!

These cutoffs like this can be real hard to nail down where the precipitation really sets up and trains over. Im taking the more increased totals because since November we have over shot our totals by a lot seems like every good storm that has come through.  This wont be a rain out by no means but we will get a training effect of storms and heavy rain that will result in some big totals, not to mention we will have oragraphical lifting on the lee side of the mountains and the southern escarpment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Met1985 said:

These cutoffs like this can be real hard to nail down where the precipitation really sets up and trains over. Im taking the more increased totals because since November we have over shot our totals by a lot seems like every good storm that has come through.  This wont be a rain out by no means but we will get a training effect of storms and heavy rain that will result in some big totals, not to mention we will have oragraphical lifting on the lee side of the mountains and the southern escarpment. 

Agreed. I can't recall when historic flooding hasn't verified over the past two years lol. It's been an insanely wet period over western NC as of late. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Just letting everyone know I survived tropical Storm Arthur. I actually had to go indoors for a few hours and it stinks in there. #cooperreleasethehousekeepers ! 

Hope you guys don't wash away. Someone is going to get some ridiculous totals by Thursday. My gauge back home is already at 1.89.

Glad your safe Joe! We will batten the hatches down here or release the boats one...

• Like 1

Surprisingly, I've only gotten 0.68 inch out of this flow so far. However, as the orientation turns more SE to NW, I do expect a significant increase. I'm not complaining, though. I prefer my rainfall in sustained gentle showers rather than intense tropical downpours.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

• Like 1