• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020 Spring and Summer mountain thread.

Met1985

Quickly falling through the 40's in Maggie. And to think I was in shorts and flip flops yesterday. Thankfully this is not a repeat of early May 1992!

Shhh...let's not give 2020 any ideas.... I love snow, but its hung around about long enough for one season.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Shhh...let's not give 2020 any ideas.... I love snow, but its hung around about long enough for one season.

I wish i could ever get to the point where i could say that. My little 2.5 inches didnt scratch the surface for me.:(

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

I'm shocked the temperature dropped so quickly here even in the foothills. It went from 68 earlier to 45 now with a stiff northwest breeze. Coldest May evening I can remember in ages. 

Yep thats what I was thinking.  This is very impressive for May. We are down to 35 degrees already for the night.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

Upper 30’s here, mid to upper-20’s up above us around 6000’.  Gonna be interesting to see how low we go this weekend, ruined my bass fishing plans. They are gonna be so confused :thumbsdown:

I have waded South Toe and other mountain streams without waders in early May before. South Toe was frigid even before this cold snap last week, could make for good fishing deep into summer unless it dries out. 

15 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

I have waded South Toe and other mountain streams without waders in early May before. South Toe was frigid even before this cold snap last week, could make for good fishing deep into summer unless it dries out. 

I’ll probably trout fish for sure, but lake fishing for bass is off the table this weekend.  I just think this cold-snap will have them shut down. Trout should be biting great though!

• Like 2

Anybody have any suggestions on where to go for some snow chasing this weekend? I'm trying to find a mountain over 5000' where I can drive to the top or close. Most roads are still closed so I'm having a hard time finding the right one. I suppose I could always drive to Beech but I was hoping for something less developed.

1 hour ago, WintersNotComing said:

Anybody have any suggestions on where to go for some snow chasing this weekend? I'm trying to find a mountain over 5000' where I can drive to the top or close. Most roads are still closed so I'm having a hard time finding the right one. I suppose I could always drive to Beech but I was hoping for something less developed.

That may be difficult with what is going on currently.  A lot of things and roads are closed down at the moment and to get to that height you need to get through some of those closed gates.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

That may be difficult with what is going on currently.  A lot of things and roads are closed down at the moment and to get to that height you need to get through some of those closed gates.

How strange that I'm trying to snow chase in May, and if I can find somewhere with even a dusting I'll have seen more snow than I've received at home the past several winters...

• Like 1

You can get above 5000’ on 276 and 215 as they crest the Great Balsams but not sure how they look for this weekend’s setup.  If the parkway wasn’t closed you could get up above 6000’ above my house in the Plott Balsams as well as along the crest of the Great Balsams between my house and 276 and 215.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WintersNotComing said:

How strange that I'm trying to snow chase in May, and if I can find somewhere with even a dusting I'll have seen more snow than I've received at home the past several winters...

Its not stange at all but during this time it makes things a bit difficult.  Really if you are in for an all nighter then really you only need to get about 4000 plus feet for this event Friday night into Saturday morning.  That should not be a problem at all.

4 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

You can get above 5000’ on 276 and 215 as they crest the Great Balsams but not sure how they look for this weekend’s setup.  If the parkway wasn’t closed you could get up above 6000’ above my house in the Plott Balsams as well as along the crest of the Great Balsams between my house and 276 and 215.

Yeah I was thinking the same but I dont think he will have to get that high in elevation for this event going into Friday night.

Carvers Gap at Roan Mountain. Road is open and parking areas at the gap. 5300ft or so and a short walk up the AT to near 6000ft.
  • Like 7

There is part of the BRP open north of Asheville and according to the real time maps you can travel south on the parkway and reach 5000'. Of course, deteriorating weather conditions could cause that to close without notice.
https://www.nps.gov/maps/full.html?mapId=e212fcb5-4ff9-4787-bbe4-3d40cc0d0daa#12/35.7363/-82.2721
7ff0161d4453942f9f79c4134b23ca81.jpg0a0a0d75bd137b14aaed53b419e02811.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

If I were you I'd head for Roan. It's probably the best bet outside of the smokies.

That's what I'm thinking too. When I was doing research on where to go I thought it looked good and then someone here suggesting it made me feel more confident

That's what I'm thinking too. When I was doing research on where to go I thought it looked good and then someone here suggesting it made me feel more confident

Yeah, you can see how I do in these events (check out my profile.) Roan is to my northeast a county over and its the only bald higher in elevation on the border than mine. Slight changes in wind vector make huge differences with these flows, so like Met said just keep checking this page. We have some really knowledgable folks in here.

• Thanks 1