joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 24, 2020 - Coastal Threat

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I def did when a couple models signaled it...and i was looking for ratings lol

But we all know i will be happy chasing a 4" snow storm to Winchendon

That is why I keep referencing the larger potential that has diminished, which makes sense because I didn't think it ever looked impressive enough for 1' amounts.

• Thanks 1

Just now, crossbowftw3 said:

Yep. Generally above 1500' I'd think. After that 12z Euro head fake run from yesterday with the widespread 8-12, this has consolidated well into an event not too dissimilar to 1/18.

I'm lower elevations in the Castkills so not surprised if I get 3" then flip to rain whIle 2000'+ stay snow and manage the 8". It may be hard for even them to get to 8" given the likely arrival time of precip/snow being hard to accumulate in late March sun angles.

I always take the more bullish on those 2,000+ elevations of Schoharie (SP?) and Greene Counties (like Tannersville), or even SW Albany County has some towns up near 2,000ft.

Its another world at that elevation.  They'll have no problem accumulating at that height.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I always take the more bullish on those 2,000+ elevations of Schoharie County and Greene Counties (like Tannersville), or even SW Albany County has some towns up near 2,000ft.

Its another world at that elevation.  They'll have no problem accumulating at that height.

Absolutely. Consequently for under 1000' folks like myself the lower end of the 3-6 seems more plausible at this time. We've been bent sideways this winter when it comes to elevation-driven events and that shouldn't change here. Both for the best and worse, of course. Example being the 12/29 ice storm, of course, where at 800' I stayed 33-36 and rain whIle 30 minutes and an extra 600' saw .4 of ice.

Simply put, this storm doesn't necessarily seem to have the needed punch to deliver a foot of snow, or anywhere close, over such a widespread area...or the staying power.

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

No offense to anyone in that, but it gets so annoying when it is going 100 texts per minute. 

Put the text group in “do not disturb” mode. I don’t even notice. All my other texts buzz but that group doesn’t. 

Anyways, back on topic. Seems like the GFS is the only model that is keeping the bulk of the dynamics south offshore. Probably not a bad spot for models to be if you’re hoping for something in SNE/CNE. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Put the text group in “do not disturb” mode. I don’t even notice. All my other texts buzz but that group doesn’t. 

Anyways, back on topic. Seems like the GFS is the only model that is keeping the bulk of the dynamics south offshore. Probably not a bad spot for models to be if you’re hoping for something in SNE/CNE. 

So your thoughts Lakes Region South? or better to see CON south/SNE? 

54 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Because I get enough of that everywhere else...including the amwx group text that never sleeps....

14 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

No offense to anyone in that, but it gets so annoying when it is going 100 texts per minute. 

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

5B55DF26-FE63-4F08-95F4-947D7D34001E.thumb.jpeg.a9630d98b5e1c0095e5d26241282feee.jpeg

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, 512high said:

So your thoughts Lakes Region South? or better to see CON south/SNE? 

Good shot at shovelable. Hard to say whether it’s warning criteria yet. I feel like there’s a decent chance at a stripe somewhere. N SNE/S CNE is as good a spot as any for it on this setup. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yup do not disturb is wonderful for large group chats.  I love looking at my phone when it hasn’t vibrated and see 37 new texts from a group lol.  

18z Euro back to kind of a weak sauce look. It’s quite subtle aloft but it matters a lot for the sfc. When the base of the wave isn’t as kinked in the flow, it keeps everything more diffuse and weaker. 

Still accumulating snow but that’s generally sub-warning look. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Good shot at shovelable. Hard to say whether it’s warning criteria yet. I feel like there’s a decent chance at a stripe somewhere. N SNE/S CNE is as good a spot as any for it on this setup. 

Sort of deal we can just let’er melt melt away without shoveling?  Really not interested in that right now....besides I work out of my basement now....don’t need to get out....#CoronaLife

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Oh, I have it on that, but still...

Some people on social still using that old “ground is too warm” chestnut.  

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

There were 2 texts today all day. I mute and read when I can. If it bothers you I can remove you

Most days it’s no big deal.  Some days it gets crazy.   No worries.  I do wish I could shut it off sometimes though.  It’s not buzzing or anything but sometimes I need to be using text for work or home stuff and it gets in the way.   I’m not offended by anything on it    Just one other distraction. 

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Most days it’s no big deal.  Some days it gets crazy.   No worries.  I do wish I could shut it off sometimes though.  It’s not buzzing or anything but sometimes I need to be using text for work or home stuff and it gets in the way.   I’m not offended by anything on it    Just one other distraction. 

Agree.

Today was fine.

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

NAM is much more subdued vs prior runs 

It was south but more compact too. I actually thought dynamically it was a lot more impressive. Big time CCB sig. That would be a narrow but big shellacking for SE MA and N RI. 

I doubt it verifies but I just wanted to note the differences in the runs. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

It was south but more compact too. I actually thought dynamically it was a lot more impressive. Big time CCB sig. That would be a narrow but big shellacking for SE MA and N RI. 

I doubt it verifies but I just wanted to note the differences in the runs. 

Yeah I kind of spoke too soon.... that’s the type of look we’ll need for accumulting snows down here. We’ll see what happens 

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah I kind of spoke too soon.... that’s the type of look we’ll need for accumulting snows down here. We’ll see what happens 

You are right that less of the forum sees advisory or better snowfall than the previous run...so in that sense it is less impressive. 

But dynamically this run was very pretty to look at...but it was compact.