• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 14-16 Ave Maria

Jackstraw

I'll do it since Cyclone's gonna weenie out lol.  Models have been sending some potential snow somewhere through the central parts of the forum.  NAM cast has warning criteria 6+ through SE IA, central IL/IN/OH, globals wishy washy the past few days from a stripe of 6+  to a spitter patter. with the usual windshield wiper N\S who the hell knows outside 24 hours trend.   Going to be hard pressed to get any accumulation with the warmth we've had IMHO.   Here's the 3/13 00Z NAM ball grabber....

snku_acc.us_ov.png

• Haha 2

Have to say I don't think I've been bass fishing in the snow before.  Snow bass aren't biting but it's snowing pretty good, nickle sized parachutes, and sticking on grassy surfaces surprisingly.  About a half inch in the last 45 minutes.  Top 5 event for the season so far (tongue in cheek) lol :weenie:.....

20200314_091621.jpg

• Like 2

I picked a helluva a morning to go fishing!  I started this thread as kinda a joke but I just measured a little under 2 inches and it's still coming down hard. Visibility less than a half mile. Secondary roads are starting to get some snow cover.  If this system was a 100 miles north it'd probably have a "hot" tag lol.  Pleasantly surprised......

20200314_102537.jpg

• Like 5

Big if but IF the surface temps can stay steady where they are at (actually down to 31 from 36 at 7am) and looking at the radar returns this has the potential to be the best snow of the season locally.  925-850 temps should remain below freezing for the duration.  We're currently accruing at 1/2-3/4 an hour.  Just measured 2.5 currently and still moderate to sometimes heavy big 'ol flakes. IF this can maintain through the afternoon and we hit 6 it will officially be the biggest snow of the season locally lmao. 

Don't underestimate the evapo cooling with this system.  I'm down to 30 degrees just off the ground and 34 at the roof line (was 36 and 35 at 7am).  I know some may think I'm nuts but, especially this winter, I have seen as much as 5 or 6 degrees difference from ground level to 10 feet AGL.  Makes a BIG difference when your straddling the freezing level. Official 2 meter temp readings be damned! :weenie:

Not sure of the stats but when I was a youngster the old timers around here used to say we get the biggest snowstorms when high school and NCAA tournament time comes around in March.  I know my parents were stuck for 2 days at the Anderson high school WigWam gym about 25 miles away when they were in high school in the late 50's travelling with the local team to a tournament.  Hey, it's Indiana, no matter what it comes down to ball lol. 

29 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Not sure of the stats but when I was a youngster the old timers around here used to say we get the biggest snowstorms when high school and NCAA tournament time comes around in March.  I know my parents were stuck for 2 days at the Anderson high school WigWam gym about 25 miles away when they were in high school in the late 50's travelling with the local team to a tournament.  Hey, it's Indiana, no matter what it comes down to ball lol. 

There is definitely some credence to your grandparents memories. The 1950s winters in this region were mild, overall subpar snow seasons with an unusually high number of spring snowstorms. At Detroit, 1951, 1954, 1955, and 1956 all saw notable snowstorms on or after the spring equinox, and in fact, three consecutive winters (1953-54, 1954-55, 1955-56) saw the seasons largest snowstorm in March.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Don't underestimate the evapo cooling with this system.  I'm down to 30 degrees just off the ground and 34 at the roof line (was 36 and 35 at 7am).  I know some may think I'm nuts but, especially this winter, I have seen as much as 5 or 6 degrees difference from ground level to 10 feet AGL.  Makes a BIG difference when your straddling the freezing level. Official 2 meter temp readings be damned! :weenie:

Heckofa cutoff. Nary a flake here

12 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Ended with 4.5, heck of a lot more than I expected.  Reports of almost 6 just my E and SE.  In general looks like 3-5 across the area from the reports.  Some melting been going on.  Should freeze back up shortly.  Back to sports Groundhog day on TV :whistle:

Biggest question, did you catch any bass?

4 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Biggest question, did you catch any bass?

Nary a nibble.  Think they were as stunned as I was at how hard it was snowing lol.  Still a decent moon underfoot in the mornings I'll give it a go again tomorrow.  FWIW there was a trained spotter report of 2 inches in 30 minutes over by Anderson about 15 miles SE.  We had some decent 1 inch an hour rates for a couple hours.  I'd say this Hail Mary scored one for the home team :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I have to eat my hat regarding my initial suspicious post on model output earlier in this column.  Got about 1.5 inches of snow here but melting.  Nice big snowflakes for a time.  And yes, big snows have happened during March madness here in IN.  This is the first time it has happened without tournaments, though.

• Like 1