Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

If an employee of a business tells you to do something, regardless of the reason, you comply if you want to continue to shop at that business.

The thing that gets me is that the guy left the store, went back in and started shooting.  Just leave and go somewhere else if you're that upset.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

The thing that gets me is that the guy left the store, went back in and started shooting.  Just leave and go somewhere else if you're that upset.

Had to go get his gun, I guess. But at that point, I’d say it unquestionably becomes premeditated first degree murder.

• Like 2

I haven't  posted here but have been following over the last year. Really good information in this thread.. I have a question. Why would someone who is fully vaccinated wear a mask?  The science says you are protected especially against severe disease. Most places here in NY now have masks optional  for vaccinated people yet 9 out of 10 people I encounter still wear one inside.  Is it out of fear or overly cautious because it's definitely not about the science. It's baffling to me as I feel people do not want to get back to  some sense of normal.

1 minute ago, binbisso said:

I haven't  posted here but have been following over the last year. Really good information in this thread.. I have a question. Why would someone who is fully vaccinated wear a mask?  The science says you are protected especially against severe disease. Most places here in NY now have masks optional  for vaccinated people yet 9 out of 10 people I encounter still wear one inside.  Is it out of fear or overly cautious because it's definitely not about the science. It's baffling to me as I feel people do not want to get back to  some sense of normal.

It’s been awfully nice not having a cold or the flu or anything else for the past 15 months. I like to think masks had something to do with that too.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

It's unbelievable that the person chose to ruin his life and another person's life over something so trivial. Incredibly sad.

It's like these road rage incidents, these people must have barely any control over their emotions or feel nearly no value in their own life and in others' lives. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

It’s been awfully nice not having a cold or the flu or anything else for the past 15 months. I like to think masks had something to do with that too.

Yea I agree and maybe it will become a new normal. I was in Japan in 2013 and about 1 to 2% of the population wore masks. It was strange to see then. Just odd to see so many people still wearing one inside here in NY with 70% vaccinated and the lowest infection rate in the country 

Since the Dane County mandate expired at the beginning of the month, I've stopped wearing a mask in common areas of my apartment building and other public indoor spaces where I'm just passing through (such as when I'm taking the trash to the chute or walking to/from my car in the basement garage). I'm continuing to wear them in grocery stores and other places with either a lot of people and/or I'm going to be spending an extended period of time.

I'm fully vaccinated, but people don't know that by looking at me, so I mainly do it as a courtesy and on the slight, but nonzero chance that transmission is possible from a vaccinated, asymptomatic individual.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Right before I went to bed last night (~15 hrs post-vax), I started to get some chills and just a general ill feeling, which continues today.  It's not very intense but it's enough that you know something is going on and it kept me tossing and turning much of the night.

Similar timing with my post 2nd dose symptoms...chills and possible fever came on quite suddenly...then just a general malaise the next day during which I slept a lot, lol

Had my 2nd Moderna this past Saturday. Had soreness and redness on the arm for a couple of days, plus a bit tired. not too much else beyond that. 7-day case average here in Mass is now under 100. Delta variant in the fall is still a bit of a wild card. Still a bit of a guessing game what things look like mortality-wise compared to say a "typical" flu season.

I love this story...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pakistan-covid-vaccine-punjab-threat-cell-phone-cut-off-no-vaccination/ 

Pakistan's most populous province, Punjab, has decided to combat residents' COVID-19 vaccination hesitancy by threatening to block cell phone service to anyone who refuses inoculation. The decision to issue the threat came out of a meeting last week, led by provincial Health Minister Dr. Yasmin Rashid, as officials scrambled for ways to boost the province's dismal vaccination rate. 

10 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Seems as though we're to a point where community spread has officially ended. Still hope that people are vigilant and get vaccinated with mutations out there, but for all intents and purposes this thing is a similar risk to TB at this point within this country

There were 8,916 new TB cases in this country in 2019, or about 25 per day. Pretty sure there are more than 25 covid deaths (not just cases) still being reported in the US daily, though I’ll admit I haven’t looked at the numbers recently.

21 hours ago, TimB84 said:

I’m also happy to report I think I have the beginnings of a cold coming on this morning, which validates this comment. I don’t think I’m advocating for masks forever, but the one thing I think should stay is the 6 feet apart in public places where it’s feasible. Not saying at sporting events or concerts or restaurants, but in checkout lines and store aisles, etc. I’ve said this before, there’s no reason to be standing halfway up someone’s ass while waiting in line, it doesn’t make the line go any faster. I’d be happy to hear a counter-argument to this one if someone has one.

• Like 1

Fully vaccinated BUT immunocompromised...so I still wear a mask, social distance, wash hands, etc. - I still get looks, I shrug it off and go about my business. A simple case of the flu (even though I get vaccinated for flu - this being prior to covid-19), it would turn into bronch or pneum -- ugh, no fun for me. So, here's hoping get vaccinated, community spread continues to go down, etc. Another plus with the mask, keeps having to deal w/ allergies at bay.

I DO have a question, does anyone plan to use their mask during cold/flu season? (once this pandemic is really really over)

• Like 1

Now halfway through June, here's an update on vaccination rates by state across the region, per CDC tracking data.  The percentages here are % of total population fully vaccinated in each state, not % of age 12+  

15.  Minnesota -- 49.05%

19.  Wisconsin -- 46.92%

22.  Iowa -- 46.16%

23.  Michigan -- 44.91%

26.  Illinois -- 43.11%

28.  Ohio -- 42.56%

30.  Kentucky -- 40.99%

36.  Indiana -- 38.13%

39.  Missouri -- 36.67%

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if reporting lags after Memorial Day are playing a role, but there are some signs of slowing declines in case numbers nationally in recent days.  Whether it's actually happening or it's just a mirage, you'd expect this at some point as you'd otherwise eventually get to 0 cases on a straight linear decline.  14 days left for our resident doctor's prediction to pan out.  ;)

Interesting comments from a London epidemiologist. Sounds as though it's starting to become a more mild bug like the common cold

“Since the start of May, we have been looking at the top symptoms in the app users and they are not the same as they were,” he said. “The number one symptom is headache, then followed by sore throat, runny nose and fever.” More “traditional” Covid symptoms such as a cough and loss of smell were much rarer now he said, with younger people experiencing much more of a bad cold or “funny off feeling.”

Though the reports are that you are more likely to be hospitalized if you have the Delta variant (which is prevalent in the UK).  Guess it would take some digging into, and perhaps the picture is becoming more muddled with increasing numbers of people being vaccinated to help blunt symptoms.  How the virus is behaving in unvaccinated people is a good way to see what it's doing.

Though the reports are that you are more likely to be hospitalized if you have the Delta variant (which is prevalent in the UK).  Guess it would take some digging into, and perhaps the picture is becoming more muddled with increasing numbers of people being vaccinated to help blunt symptoms.  How the virus is behaving in unvaccinated people is a good way to see what it's doing.
Unvaccinated doesnt mean there isn't some level of immunity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

It took a while, but in general seeing a lot more maskless at indoor places around here now.

Almost nobody wears a mask around here. Come next Tuesday, COVID-19 restrictions are over for everyone. 

On 6/16/2021 at 3:54 PM, Hoosier said:

Not sure if reporting lags after Memorial Day are playing a role, but there are some signs of slowing declines in case numbers nationally in recent days.  Whether it's actually happening or it's just a mirage, you'd expect this at some point as you'd otherwise eventually get to 0 cases on a straight linear decline.  14 days left for our resident doctor's prediction to pan out.  ;)

I thought we'd get to 10k by tomorrow but looks like it'll probably be some time next week because it looks like the pace of the decline has leveled off in some areas. Without the daily twitter updates and with the holiday lag it's hard to tell for sure. The lawyer craig weekly numbers will come out tomorrow and I think they'll probably be 11k-12k. Worldometers is down below 13k for the first time so we're still gradually getting there...

As you mentioned it doesn't decline linearly, it follows exponential decay or half lives. 50% decline from 30K is  lot - down by 15k but 50% of 15k is only 7.5k and then 3.75k so it'll naturally level off at some point.