Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

On 6/2/2021 at 2:13 PM, Jonger said:

Wait another 2 months and most of these issues will be long over with.

The Spanish flu is still around in the form of a variant..... Covid is never going away. Who cares...

On 6/2/2021 at 5:51 PM, OSUmetstud said:

I thought vaccinated Americans are good to go for many European countries? Also, I bet Canada opens to vaccinated Americans by that time. New Zealand is in a tough spot. While they've been good at keeping Sars cov 2, they haven't done a good job at procuring vaccines. They might not be open for some time. 

Should we rethink that with this Delta variant? Is this going to screw us over from traveling internationally, say, by early 2022 at the latest? Should we be worried about another surge of covid in the US (both in terms of new restrictions and in terms of the human cost of a surge in covid)? Is this just fear mongering? Inquiring minds want to know.

4 hours ago, TimB84 said:

Should we rethink that with this Delta variant? Is this going to screw us over from traveling internationally, say, by early 2022 at the latest? Should we be worried about another surge of covid in the US (both in terms of new restrictions and in terms of the human cost of a surge in covid)? Is this just fear mongering? Inquiring minds want to know.

Nah

50 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Is there a plan B in the unfortunate event that the world runs out of greek alphabet names to use?

They just won’t use ‘em again, like the 2020 hurricane season. Maybe they’ll make an auxiliary list of human names.

• Like 1

Vaccine mandates are coming.  I'm curious how this will resolve itself especially with the Texas governor putting in place policies that effectively enable anti-vax individuals.

178 health care workers suspended from Houston Methodist hospital system for refusing COVID-19 vaccination

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/7616446002

Important to note that this is 178 out of 25,000 employees. 

43 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

Vaccine mandates are coming.  I'm curious how this will resolve itself especially with the Texas governor putting in place policies that effectively enable anti-vax individuals.

178 health care workers suspended from Houston Methodist hospital system for refusing COVID-19 vaccination

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/7616446002

Important to note that this is 178 out of 25,000 employees. 

Have a feeling it wont end well for the hospital, considering location.

3 hours ago, schoeppeya said:

Although I agree that it probably won’t end well for the hospital because of its location, that would be the wrong outcome. I would guess there is a massive overlap of people who say employers shouldn’t be able to fire someone over covid vaccination status and people who believe that businesses should have the freedom to make their own personnel decisions for whatever reason they choose. That’s a pretty strong contradiction in beliefs, imo.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Cases are ticking back up in the UK where this Delta/India variant is taking off. Since they have about the same vaccination rate as we do, it goes to show that we’re not out of the woods for future spikes. 

This thing is an opportunistic son of a gun.  And yeah, could be a glimpse into our future, if not in summer then in the fall/winter when the seasonality component kicks in.

16 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Cases are ticking back up in the UK where this Delta/India variant is taking off. Since they have about the same vaccination rate as we do, it goes to show that we’re not out of the woods for future spikes. 

This is exactly what I’m worried about when it comes to international travel. If we get a spike, I’m worried that other countries will go back to “nope, we’re not letting Americans in, even if you’re vaccinated, it’s too risky”. 

The uptick in the UK is quite notable given the time of year (outside of when seasonal coronaviruses usually spread). One current positive sign from the UK is their 21-day lagged CFR is very low (~0.5%) which is likely indicative of most cases being among the younger populating which hasn't been vaccinated.

18 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

The uptick in the UK is quite notable given the time of year (outside of when seasonal coronaviruses usually spread). One current positive sign from the UK is their 21-day lagged CFR is very low (~0.5%) which is likely indicative of most cases being among the younger populating which hasn't been vaccinated.

Not at a crazy high level by any means, but cases have recently more than doubled in the UK.

Screenshot_20210610-175446.thumb.png.c8a4f8a6456bef4f36c81fbef201113f.png

C & P the entire article so people don't just see the headline and freak.  This isn't that shocking at this point as there was indication of this from Israel.  

Heart inflammation in young men higher than expected after Pfizer, Moderna vaccines -U.S. CDC

By Michael Erman and Manojna Maddipatla 

(Reuters) -A higher-than-expected number of young men have experienced heart inflammation after their second dose of the mRNA COVID-19 shots from Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna, according to data from two vaccine safety monitoring systems, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said on Thursday. 

The CDC and other health regulators have been investigating heart inflammation cases after Israel’s Health Ministry reported that it had found a likely link to the condition in young men who received Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine. 

The agency said it is still assessing the risk from the condition and has not yet concluded that there was a causal relationship between the vaccines and cases of myocarditis or pericarditis. 

While some patients required hospitalization, most have fully recovered from their symptoms, the CDC said. 

More than half of the cases reported to the U.S. Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) after people had received their second dose of either the Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna vaccines were in people between the ages of 12 and 24, the CDC said. Those age groups accounted for less than 9% of doses administered. 

"We clearly have an imbalance there," Dr. Tom Shimabukuro, deputy director of the CDC's Immunization Safety Office, said in a presentation https://www.fda.gov/media/150054/download to an advisory committee to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration meeting on Thursday. 

The overwhelming majority of the cases have occurred within a week of vaccination, Shimabukuro said. 

There were 283 observed cases of heart inflammation after the second vaccine dose in those aged 16 to 24 in the VAERS data. That compares with expectations of 10-to-102 cases for that age range based on U.S. population background incidence rates, the CDC said. 

Shimabukuro said there was a predominance of males in younger age groups among the reported heart inflammation cases. 

The median age of patients who experienced the inflammation after a second vaccine dose was 24, according to the VAERS data. Just under 80% of the cases were in men. 

Shimabukuro also said the Vaccine Safety Datalink (VSD) - another safety monitoring system - showed an increased incidence of heart inflammation in 16 to 39 year olds after their second shot when compared to the rate observed after the first dose. 

Pfizer said it supports the CDC's assessment of the heart inflammation cases, noting that "the number of reports is small given the number of doses administered." 

About 130 million people in the United States have received both doses of one of the mRNA vaccines. 

"It is important to understand that a careful assessment of the reports is ongoing and it has not been concluded that the mRNA COVID-19 vaccines cause myocarditis or pericarditis," the company said in a statement. 

Moderna said it also has not established a causal association with the condition and its vaccine. It said it is actively working with public health and regulatory authorities to further assess the issue. 

The CDC said it will hold a meeting of its Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices next week to further evaluate the evidence and assess the risk of myocarditis following mRNA vaccination for COVID-19. 

(Reporting by Michael Erman in Maplewood, N.J. and Manojna Maddipatla in Bengaluru; Editing by Bill Berkrot) 

https://news.yahoo.com/news/cdc-heart-inflammation-cases-ages-140826238.html

On 6/9/2021 at 9:38 AM, schoeppeya said:

We'll see, I think the hospital is gong to win this one, the law is on their side. 

In first federal ruling on vaccine mandates, judge sides with Houston hospital, dismissing claims from staff resisters

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/7672997002

8 hours ago, mattb65 said:

We'll see, I think the hospital is gong to win this one, the law is on their side. 

In first federal ruling on vaccine mandates, judge sides with Houston hospital, dismissing claims from staff resisters

ht://amp.usatoday.com/amp/7672997002

Although I'll admit that I haven't followed this closely, it comes down to a matter of labor law. For many years, many employees were protected under a collective bargaining agreements, a majority of which were negotiated with a labor union.  In the last 20 years or so, corporate America (including the medical field) have shoved unions aside as pro-business legislation was pushed through that neutered workers rights with at-will employment. The result is employers don't need cause to terminate employment. 

In business and politics, money talks and workers get the short stick. That being said, this is one time I fall on the side of the employer, as it constitutes a health risk to other employees and patients.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stormheartgypsy said:

I'm curious how people feel (if this thread hasn't closed) about the Delta variant being the possible "new" dominant compared to the UK variant.

The more transmissible variants will always eventually become the dominant strain, it's just a matter of time.  That's just evolutionary biology, the hand wringing about each variant is a little tiresome for me tbh. More a question of how much of an impact it'll have which depends on the level of immunity present. 

We probably have more than 60% population immunity from vax and prior infection in most places which will significantly keep things contained. 

• Like 2

Got Pfizer #2 this morning.  Was jabbed pretty high up on the arm this time... barely below the bone.  Actually did not feel the needle as much this time though.

card-1.thumb.jpg.a52fa871212c69f8bb9a4903c52d8600.jpg

There was a woman who looked like she was in her 80s who was with someone, presumably her daughter.  I overheard what they were saying, and it was actually the older lady's first dose.  She was saying that she thinks she is the last one out of her group of older friends to get it.  Ya think?  :P

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

We will however have to keep an eye out this fall and winter just in case there are any flare-ups

This is almost a foregone conclusion imo.  The Delta variant (which appears to be more contagious) will have had more time to get established here, combined with the seasonality component.  

Today is 2 weeks after Memorial Day.  Last year, it was about 2-3 weeks after Memorial Day that the southern surge was just in its infancy.  Obviously it's a different ballgame this year, but will be watching those states soon for any signs of plateauing or (hopefully not) rising. 

• Like 2

Right before I went to bed last night (~15 hrs post-vax), I started to get some chills and just a general ill feeling, which continues today.  It's not very intense but it's enough that you know something is going on and it kept me tossing and turning much of the night.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snownado said:

I don't understand why she asked the man to wear a mask. If this were 6 months or a year ago I would understand. But it doesn't make much sense now. Having said that, she obviously didn't deserve to be shot.

If an employee of a business tells you to do something, regardless of the reason, you comply if you want to continue to shop at that business.

• Like 2