• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Just so you all know and have some time to mentally prepare (lol), I will be closing this thread sometime this month.  We were in an exceptional situation, and on balance, I think it was a useful thread to have here.  I know some people disagree, and that's fine.  I want to thank everyone who made substantive contributions over the past 15 months.  This will be something that we remember for a long time.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Just so you all know and have some time to mentally prepare (lol), I will be closing this thread sometime this month.  We were in an exceptional situation, and on balance, I think it was a useful thread to have here.  I know some people disagree, and that's fine.  I want to thank everyone who made substantive contributions over the past 15 months.  This will be something that we remember for a long time.  

You deserve a lot of praise due to your patience. All of the other Covid threads in the other subforums on this site ended up getting shut down because the moderators couldn't stand the arguments that people were having. Major kudos to you for allowing this thread to continue so long.

6 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

You deserve a lot of praise due to your patience. All of the other Covid threads in the other subforums on this site ended up getting shut down because the moderators couldn't stand the arguments that people were having. Major kudos to you for allowing this thread to continue so long.

That's very kind.  I'm not happy with how things have gone in here at times, and some of it rests on me.  There was no playbook for how to handle a thread like this.

We need some weather to talk about.  The drought and lack of severe weather are not cutting it.  :axe:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That's very kind.  I'm not happy with how things have gone in here at times, and some of it rests on me.  There was no playbook for how to handle a thread like this.

We need some weather to talk about.  The drought and lack of severe weather are not cutting it.  :axe:

We had some really nice t-storms here in NJ this afternoon. Yeah prolonged dry weather is the worst .... hopefully there will be some storms for your area soon.

15 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I was late to the party so I don’t know what all transpired in the first year or so of this thread, but aside from that benches-clearing brawl we had back in April, I thought it’s been fairly civil. 

my best work, and i didn’t even have to say much.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

See, the 10k bet wouldn't matter,  I knew the thread would die this summer. No doubt in my mind we go sub 10k by July 1, only question is will the thread still be open. 

I know the P.1 variant (Brazil) has shown more of an ability to reinfect people who previously had covid.  That variant has not really taken off in a big way in the US so far though.  Personally I don't think "I already had covid" is a solid reason to never get the vaccine, but for people who had covid, maybe delaying it is warranted.
As far as overweight people, I think we have to separate this out.  If you're massively obese (I'm talking like 300-400 pounds), there's not much of an excuse for that.  I don't care if you're poor and only have access to crappy quality food.  You're not going to get to that level unless you're frequently in a huge calorie surplus.  A lot more people are moderately overweight, and for some of them, it's not so easy to drop the pounds for various reasons.

Sure can. It’s called insulin resistance. You can eat 1500 calories a day and weigh 300 lbs with that issue. Keto is the only way to fix it.

3 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

Sure can. It’s called insulin resistance. You can eat 1500 calories a day and weigh 300 lbs with that issue. Keto is the only way to fix it.

If someone is consistently taking in 1500 calories/day all of their life, it's pretty much impossible to grow to be 300 pounds.  Like, it won't happen in the first place.  

I'd never do keto long term.  It is a tool that works, but it can screw with your hormones if you're not careful.  Not saying that some people aren't successful long term.  Some people do better on certain diets/approaches than others.

I find that it's the fructose that comes without the fiber that's the issue. Fruit is fine (unless in excess). HFCS, sucrose and fructose added to foods all tend to pile up and add a lot of load to the liver (since fructose largely can't be absorbed by tissues, unlike glucose -- it has to be processed by the liver), which then partially converts it to lipids that get stored. It's pretty uncanny just how similar ethanol and fructose get processed. The difference is, with ethanol, you eventually get tipsy or drunk and get a signal to stop. With fructose, you don't, and it since it doesn't trigger leptin production in the same way as glucose, the brain doesn't get a signal to stop either. Added sugars are *everywhere* and tough to avoid.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, csnavywx said:

I find that it's the fructose that comes without the fiber that's the issue. Fruit is fine (unless in excess). HFCS, sucrose and fructose added to foods all tend to pile up and add a lot of load to the liver (since fructose largely can't be absorbed by tissues, unlike glucose -- it has to be processed by the liver), which then partially converts it to lipids that get stored. It's pretty uncanny just how similar ethanol and fructose get processed. The difference is, with ethanol, you eventually get tipsy or drunk and get a signal to stop. With fructose, you don't, and it since it doesn't trigger leptin production in the same way as glucose, the brain doesn't get a signal to stop either. Added sugars are *everywhere* and tough to avoid.

Look up the effects of low testosterone and insulin sensitivity. There's a direct link between obesity, lower testosterone levels and insulin sensitivity. 

This plays into the COVID outlook for patients.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210527/lower-testosterone-in-men-tied-to-severe-covid-cases

And overall, the vast majority – 89% -- of the COVID-19-infected men, including those with mild disease, showed testosterone levels below what’s considered to be the normal range when they were admitted to hospital. The men in the current study with severe COVID-19 had average blood levels of testosterone of just 53 ng/dL when they entered hospital. Any testosterone level of 250 ng/dL or below is considered ‘low’ in adult men.By day 3 of hospitalization, their average testosterone levels dropped even further -- to only 19 ng/dL.

On 6/5/2021 at 7:10 AM, Jonger said:

Look up the effects of low testosterone and insulin sensitivity. There's a direct link between obesity, lower testosterone levels and insulin sensitivity. 

This plays into the COVID outlook for patients.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210527/lower-testosterone-in-men-tied-to-severe-covid-cases

And overall, the vast majority – 89% -- of the COVID-19-infected men, including those with mild disease, showed testosterone levels below what’s considered to be the normal range when they were admitted to hospital. The men in the current study with severe COVID-19 had average blood levels of testosterone of just 53 ng/dL when they entered hospital. Any testosterone level of 250 ng/dL or below is considered ‘low’ in adult men.By day 3 of hospitalization, their average testosterone levels dropped even further -- to only 19 ng/dL.

Did you know that covid infection has been associated with an increased risk of erectile dysfunction? 

Still rather test your luck by not getting the vaccine?

"Just a few days of sniffles"... and a floppy :weenie:

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/yes-covid-19-can-cause-erectile-dysfunction/

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, mattb65 said:

Did you know that covid infection has been associated with an increased risk of erectile dysfunction? 

Nobody here is getting any enough to worry about that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattb65 said:

The article you posted admits that ED is usually a symptom of an underlying problem. So people that have an underlying condition like high blood pressure or heart disease, of course are going to be at higher risk of developing ED from Covid. But this would not be much of a concern for people that have great artery health due to being on a serious exercise program. Get your arteries in great shape through exercise, and you don't have to worry too much about Covid causing erectile dysfunction. Jonger has stated that he's a fitness nut, so why would you even post this to him? I know you're a doctor. As a doctor you do realize that Covid poses much lower risk to athletes that are in great shape from exercise, correct? Sometimes I wonder the way you post.

4 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

The article you posted admits that ED is usually a symptom of an underlying problem. So people that have an underlying condition like high blood pressure or heart disease, of course are going to be at higher risk of developing ED from Covid. But this would not be much of a concern for people that have great artery health due to being on a serious exercise program. Get your arteries in great shape through exercise, and you don't have to worry too much about Covid causing erectile dysfunction. Jonger has stated that he's a fitness nut, so why would you even post this to him? I know you're a doctor. As a doctor you do realize that Covid poses much lower risk to athletes that are in great shape from exercise, correct? Sometimes I wonder the way you post.

If rather not take my chances. Risk is lower for young healthy people obviously but the vaccine risk is basically nil. So when it comes to deciding on getting the vaccine vs even a miniscule risk of ED or all the other bad things covid can do,  it's a no brainer for me.