• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Someone at work had Bell's Palsy (facial paralysis) following 2nd dose. Testing revealing he had Lyme disease which never really manifested symptoms before. Sometimes these affects are the result of underlying conditions. the media does tend of focus on any time an apparent major reaction occurs. Risks in reality are much less from the vaccine than Covid itself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Sometimes these paralysis reports get picked up by local news, like this one for example:

https://www.wkrn.com/news/nashville-woman-partially-paralyzed-after-rare-reaction-to-covid-vaccine-walks-again/

I don't think it's good to just dismiss them or act like they can't be caused by the vaccine.  You never want to overdo it and blow it out of proportion though.  If you're scared of being paralyzed after the vaccine (which is a rare occurrence and seemingly temporary/reversible most of the time when it does occur), I'd say be more scared of your risk of getting a really severe or potentially fatal case of covid.  Between really severe covid or fatal covid, that number would be somewhere in the millions in this country alone.

At the end of the day, we all have to decide whether or not we're going to get vaccinated.  Hesitation is a normal thing to have, particularly with covid vaccines since they have not been around for a long time like the flu vaccine and others.  I will say that hearing the vaccine stories from friends/family and reading the vaccine experiences in this thread were helpful and made me feel more comfortable with getting it.  

Not dismissing, just saying I find it highly unlikely that all 1348 cases of paralysis and 14 deaths on that site were actually caused by the vaccine (but some probably were).

18 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

I think you're thinking of motorcycle accidents.

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/fox-35-investigates-questions-raised-after-fatal-motorcycle-crash-listed-as-covid-19-death

These are related paralysis Covid vaccine "injuries".  14 of the 1348 died. 

skydiving.png

I'm a Neurologist,  I diagnose and treat various forms of paralysis.  I'll comment on the three reports in your post and then in general.  First case on the  left sounds like bell's palsy but it started immediately after getting the vaccine.  There's no way the vaccine could have caused this,  the pathophysiology of bell's palsy is such that an immediate bell's palsy within hours of vaccination would be caused by something else. Case 2 sounds like a classic panic attack/hyperventilation syndrome. Of the 3, the third one could be a vaccine reaction or it could be a stroke or a number of other things. 

So though you say there's  1348, the ones you posted screenshots of are not generally what people think of when they think paralysis,  most think unable to walk like after a major spinal cord injury not facial droop or panic attack.

Of the 1348 there's going to be a very small percent that are concerning levels of paralysis and most are probably not vaccine related. There's only a handful of vaccine related reactions that cause paralysis,  things like myelitis, stroke or guillain bare and there hasn't been an explosion of these despite hundreds of millions of doses administered. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

My allergies are flaring up pretty bad, and I take an allergy medication.  Almost tempted to start wearing a mask outside in some settings.  I saw a guy mowing his lawn with a mask on so apparently some people have figured out they are useful for other purposes.  :lol:

In 2020, it was about 3 weeks after Memorial Day that cases started rising, particularly in southern states.  Obviously it's a different ballgame now with so many prior infections and vaccinations, so it will be interesting to see what the trends look like about 4-6 weeks from now.  There are a few possibilities... 1) cases continue declining at the same fast rate.  2) cases continue to decline, but at a slower rate.  3) cases start rising.  #3 seems least likely, but it'll be a learning experience to go through these warm weather holidays before we get to the next test in Fall.

i would expect a fall and winter surge, but hopefully it shouldn't cause as many deaths this time due to vaccinations.  seasonality, variants, and vaccines will wear off in some people.  at the same time, we'll have packed concerts, stadiums, bars.  i'm curious if the flu will also make a return this fall.  the 'twindemic' never happened last winter.  i have a feeling fewer people will get their flu shot this fall.

The other thing is will there be enough data globally on which flu strains are dominating to be able to make a good vaccine for our fall/winter?  Flu season has been knocked down to such low numbers.  

If some percentage of the population continues to wear masks this fall/winter, then that could help knock down the flu rate to some extent.

4 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Cases are declining very fast. I think we are just about ready ( maybe even ready now?)to do away with mask

Do note that the CDC criteria for a Covid diagnosis have been tightened, so the comparisons are no longer like for like.

1 hour ago, Sidewinder said:

There were 8 cases of Bell's in Moderna and Pfizer clinical trials, 4 in each. 

I don't doubt that some people get bell's palsy from the vaccine but it wouldn't be hours after the shot. One of my colleagues published a case of bell's most likely from the vaccine. 

Bell's palsy also isn't that rare so you have to compare to baseline rates.  It's also a condition that usually recovers fully or nearly fully in most people. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Hoosier said:

My allergies are flaring up pretty bad, and I take an allergy medication.  Almost tempted to start wearing a mask outside in some settings.  I saw a guy mowing his lawn with a mask on so apparently some people have figured out they are useful for other purposes.  :lol:

I've often worn an N95 mask when weed trimming for years and sometimes when mowing.  

• Like 3