Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

The US has crossed the 125 million mark in terms of number of people fully vaccinated.  On a percentage basis, Maine leads in that category with 50% fully vaccinated.

18 states have at least 40% fully vaccinated. 

45 states have at least 30% fully vaccinated.  The 5 that are below 30% are Louisiana, Georgia, Arkansas, Alabama and Mississippi, although a few of those are getting extremely close to 30%

Didn’t even have to read this sentence to guess which 5 states it was.

• Haha 1

On 5/18/2021 at 10:40 AM, Malacka11 said:

Second dose of Pfizer is kicking my ass. Got the shot yesterday and felt fine with just a sore arm, but the second I went to bed I got sick as hell. It felt like influenza 2.0... Chills, fever, severe back and neck pain, my head felt like it was splitting in two. Popped 600mg Ibuprofen and that helped a lot, but I'm hoping I don't get worse again in two hours' time.

Are you better now?

24 minutes ago, Jonger said:

What was the fatality rate in those 5 states for each demographic....compared to the 5 most restrictive blue states?

White & black per capita death rate in comparison.

Easier for covid not to spread rampantly and not overwhelm the hospitals in states with very low population density like those five, as compared to NY or CA.

There are different ways to analyze death rates, but here are the 20 states with the highest death rates per million, from higher to lower, using the data from worldometers.

Some of these top states got slammed early on (March/April 2020) when less was known about the virus and how to treat it, so they unforunately got out to a big lead so to speak.

New Jersey

New York

Massachusetts

Rhode Island

Mississippi

Arizona

Connecticut

Louisiana

South Dakota

Alabama

Pennsylvania

Indiana

Michigan

North Dakota

Illinois

New Mexico

Georgia

Arkansas

Iowa

South Carolina

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Are you better now?

Yep, sincerely appreciate you asking and I'm sorry for never posting an update. I really don't know how bad the side effects would have been the rest of Tuesday since I ended up taking upwards of 1400mg of Ibuprofen and Tylenol. I still had some strange flashes of feeling "weird" yesterday, but for the most part I was fine. Perfectly normal today. I will say, the most interesting thing to me was that I experienced very little soreness in my arm this time; like nowhere near as much as I did with shot #1. the soreness came on a little faster -within two hours- but at no point did I really feel like it was very bothersome at all. Granted, Monday night I had a bit to drink and obviously the following morning I started popping the anti-inflammatory stuff, so that definitely lessened the pain, but even overnight Monday when shit got real I could barely notice any soreness. All in all, personally I'm still glad I got the booster just for the added few percentage points of immunity. But, like I said previously, I was severely humbled by this experience and my respect for this virus has only grown. Dude, I could not imagine feeling like that for a week or maybe even more...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

Yep, sincerely appreciate you asking and I'm sorry for never posting an update. I really don't know how bad the side effects would have been the rest of Tuesday since I ended up taking upwards of 1400mg of Ibuprofen and Tylenol. I still had some strange flashes of feeling "weird" yesterday, but for the most part I was fine. Perfectly normal today. I will say, the most interesting thing to me was that I experienced very little soreness in my arm this time; like nowhere near as much as I did with shot #1. the soreness came on a little faster -within two hours- but at no point did I really feel like it was very bothersome at all. Granted, Monday night I had a bit to drink and obviously the following morning I started popping the anti-inflammatory stuff, so that definitely lessened the pain, but even overnight Monday when shit got real I could barely notice any soreness. All in all, personally I'm still glad I got the booster just for the added few percentage points of immunity. But, like I said previously, I was severely humbled by this experience and my respect for this virus has only grown. Dude, I could not imagine feeling like that for a week or maybe even more...

Thanks for checking in.  Glad you're doing better.

I pushed my 2nd Pfizer shot beyond the 3 weeks.  I could've gone on Friday June 4, but that weekend is a busy one for me and I can't risk feeling like crap.  The following week is not good either.  Things may go just fine... who knows.  Plenty of people do very well with shot #2 but others get slammed.  Interesting how you mentioned less arm soreness this time.  I have seen that in the data but I was wondering if it's a real thing or if it's a case of people being distracted by the harsher systemic side effects and possibly more likely to be taking an anti-inflammatory medication the 2nd time around.

This may be one thing that was sacrificed as a result of the quick rollout -- not enough time to play around and come up with the best dosing schedule.

Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine protection stronger if second dose is delayed, study finds

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/national/coronavirus/pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-protection-stronger-if-second-dose-is-delayed-study-finds?_amp=true

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

There are different ways to analyze death rates, but here are the 20 states with the highest death rates per million, from higher to lower, using the data from worldometers.

Some of these top states got slammed early on (March/April 2020) when less was known about the virus and how to treat it, so they unforunately got out to a big lead so to speak.

New Jersey

New York

Massachusetts

Rhode Island

Mississippi

Arizona

Connecticut

Louisiana

South Dakota

Alabama

Pennsylvania

Indiana

Michigan

North Dakota

Illinois

New Mexico

Georgia

Arkansas

Iowa

South Carolina

This fact is also conveniently ignored by some when trying to say that states with particular political leanings have done better with covid than others. I’m glad we didn’t see how, say, Florida would have performed if they got their surge last March.

2 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

An associate of mine at the local Sam's club has a co-worker who is permanently paralyzed after the second shot. 
Sam's club is offering them $75 to get it, most have refused and continue to wear masks instead.

Sorry to hear that,  has your associates co-worker shared any additional information about what caused them to get paralyzed? Did they have a stroke, spinal cord injury, something else? How do they know it's permanent?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

2nd shot of Moderna today. 6.5 hours in, slightly stiff upper arm where the injection was done but nowhere near as sore as the first time. First one was as bad or worse than a tetanus shot.

I felt like crap the next day 

18 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

An associate of mine at the local Sam's club has a co-worker who is permanently paralyzed after the second shot. 
Sam's club is offering them $75 to get it, most have refused and continue to wear masks instead.

15 hours ago, mattb65 said:

Sorry to hear that,  has your associates co-worker shared any additional information about what caused them to get paralyzed? Did they have a stroke, spinal cord injury, something else? How do they know it's permanent?

forgot to mention it was a skydiving accident

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

My local grocery store has ended their mask requirement.  I'd say about 75% of the customers were still wearing one when I was in there.  The no mask required sign on the door is a lot smaller than the old sign about masks being required.  Almost like they are not wanting to boldly advertise it lol.  I plan to wear mine in there until fully vaccinated, per the CDC guidance, unless that guidance changes in the meantime for people who aren't fully vaxxed (doubtful)

On 5/20/2021 at 10:38 PM, mattb65 said:

I know it has been a month since his paralysis. I'll find out more information next week. 

On 5/21/2021 at 2:13 PM, MacChump said:

forgot to mention it was a skydiving accident

I think you're thinking of motorcycle accidents.

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/fox-35-investigates-questions-raised-after-fatal-motorcycle-crash-listed-as-covid-19-death

These are related paralysis Covid vaccine "injuries".  14 of the 1348 died. 

skydiving.png

• Thanks 1

Sometimes these paralysis reports get picked up by local news, like this one for example:

https://www.wkrn.com/news/nashville-woman-partially-paralyzed-after-rare-reaction-to-covid-vaccine-walks-again/

I don't think it's good to just dismiss them or act like they can't be caused by the vaccine.  You never want to overdo it and blow it out of proportion though.  If you're scared of being paralyzed after the vaccine (which is a rare occurrence and seemingly temporary/reversible most of the time when it does occur), I'd say be more scared of your risk of getting a really severe or potentially fatal case of covid.  Between really severe covid or fatal covid, that number would be somewhere in the millions in this country alone.

At the end of the day, we all have to decide whether or not we're going to get vaccinated.  Hesitation is a normal thing to have, particularly with covid vaccines since they have not been around for a long time like the flu vaccine and others.  I will say that hearing the vaccine stories from friends/family and reading the vaccine experiences in this thread were helpful and made me feel more comfortable with getting it.  

• Like 1