• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Second dose of Pfizer is kicking my ass. Got the shot yesterday and felt fine with just a sore arm, but the second I went to bed I got sick as hell. It felt like influenza 2.0... Chills, fever, severe back and neck pain, my head felt like it was splitting in two. Popped 600mg Ibuprofen and that helped a lot, but I'm hoping I don't get worse again in two hours' time.

• Sad 3

54 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

Second dose of Pfizer is kicking my ass. Got the shot yesterday and felt fine with just a sore arm, but the second I went to bed I got sick as hell. It felt like influenza 2.0... Chills, fever, severe back and neck pain, my head felt like it was splitting in two. Popped 600mg Ibuprofen and that helped a lot, but I'm hoping I don't get worse again in two hours' time.

When I had COVID-19, the back, neck and head pain were like that for over a week. Hope you’re well in short order. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jonger said:

Not really worried about COVID.... people within risk groups need to handle their business and let others get back to normal.

This is literally discriminatory thinking. You sound like a terrible boss for people who aren’t like you. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavirus-infection-by-race/expert-answers/faq-20488802

• Like 8
  • Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

When I had COVID-19, the back, neck and head pain were like that for over a week. Hope you’re well in short order. 

That sounds like literal hell. As someone who's been fortunate to escape previous infection, this experience really humbled me. I can't imagine feeling like that for more than a day or two... Let alone breathing complications or anything else on top? Yikes. Appreciate the support man, I'm sure I'll be fine by tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Malacka11 said:

Did you have anything with the first one?  I don't remember.

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Did you have anything with the first one?  I don't remember.

Just a sore arm, that was literally it. I was pretty confident/optimistic going into both doses. My mother received the Pfizer vaccine too and was actually worried about her lack of an immune response to dose 2 -at least initially- so I definitely underestimated my chances of a strong reaction.

1 hour ago, Malacka11 said:

That sounds like literal hell. As someone who's been fortunate to escape previous infection, this experience really humbled me. I can't imagine feeling like that for more than a day or two... Let alone breathing complications or anything else on top? Yikes. Appreciate the support man, I'm sure I'll be fine by tomorrow.

My issues went away after 24 hrs so hopefully you'll be on the mend soon.

Good read about immunocompromised individuals.

Coronavirus vaccines may not work in some people. It’s because of their underlying conditions.

Early research shows that 15 to 80 percent of people with certain medical conditions, such as specific blood cancers or organ transplants, are generating few antibodies after receiving coronavirus vaccines.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/05/18/immunocompromised-coronavirus-vaccines-response/?outputType=amp

4 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

This is literally discriminatory thinking. You sound like a terrible boss for people who aren’t like you. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavirus-infection-by-race/expert-answers/faq-20488802

Vaccines are free and highly encouraged by the government. I'm not forcing anyone into an unavoidable situation.

5 hours ago, Malacka11 said:

I was told to take Tylenol and not Ibuprofen after getting my first shot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

The Ohio lottery for vaccinated people appears to be helping.  Vaccinations in ages 30-74 went up by 6% after a period of decline, and it's not like that age group just became eligible for a vaccine.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ohio-sees-boost-shots-after-it-announces-1-million-vaccination-n1267648

Age 30-74 sure is a large age group 

14 minutes ago, Snownado said:

I was told to take Tylenol and not Ibuprofen after getting my first shot.

I think ibuprofen is fine too.  The nurse who did mine told me to take ibuprofen, but the printout said Tylenol or other similar medication.

My arm soreness is finally 100% gone after 4 days.  Did not think it would take so long to get rid of that.  I had a pretty quick onset of soreness after getting the shot so perhaps that was a sign. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Snownado said:

I read that some independent studies have shown up to 80% effectiveness after getting the first covid vaccine. Maybe I should just stick with one and not get the 2nd one.

Not saying that 80% figure is wrong, but you are only evaluating people for a limited amount of time (the weeks between the 1st and 2nd dose) to come up with it.  Even if it's correct, who knows how long the protection would last.  

1 hour ago, Snownado said:

I read that some independent studies have shown up to 80% effectiveness after getting the first covid vaccine. Maybe I should just stick with one and not get the 2nd one.

the boost in protection and long lasting antibodies is well worth any illness you feel after the second shot.   It's also far from guaranteed that you will feel bad after the second shot, some just get a sore arm and feel tired.

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2021 at 4:31 PM, Hoosier said:

So July 1 is 7 weeks away.  7 weeks ago we were averaging around 55k cases per day.  Now it is around 35k.

As far as I can tell, you have 2 things working in your favor and 1 working against in the coming weeks.  The two in your favor are more and more people being vaccinated and the change in season.  The thing working against is capacity limits/masking easing and people letting their guard down more.  I am a total amateur so take my opinion fwiw but I think it could be a close call as far as averaging under 10k by the end of June.

Down below 30,000 on the 7 day average, we are experiencing exponential decay, the halving is happening about once every 3 weeks right now,  if the rate of decay remains constant, we'll be below 10,000 on the 7 day average in ~5 weeks, approximately June 22nd. That would be cutting it closer than I'd like for my bet.

Hopefully the declines gain more momentum.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mattb65 said:

Down below 30,000 on the 7 day average, we are experiencing exponential decay, the halving is happening about once every 3 weeks right now,  if the rate of decay remains constant, we'll be below 10,000 on the 7 day average in ~5 weeks, approximately June 22nd. That would be cutting it closer than I'd like for my bet.

Hopefully the declines gain more momentum.

99% of people develop antibodies after 2nd COVID-19 vaccine dose, UK study finds

Nearly 100 percent of people developed COVID-19 antibodies after receiving their second dose of the Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccine in the U.K., according to new research from the National Health Service and University College London.

The preliminary findings, released May 14, are based on an analysis of 13,232 antibody samples from more than 8,500 people in England and Wales.

Researchers found 96.42 percent of study participants had antibodies 28 to 34 days after their first dose. This figure jumped to 99.08 percent seven to 14 days after their second dose.

Antibody positivity rates increased faster among people who received the Pfizer vaccine compared to the AstraZeneca vaccine, which has not been authorized for use in the U.S. Antibody rates were equivalent for both vaccines about four weeks after the first dose.

Antibody rates were lower with increasing age and among people with health conditions such as diabetes, heart disease and cancer, but nearly all study participants demonstrated high antibody levels after their second dose.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/99-of-people-develop-antibodies-after-2nd-covid-19-vaccine-dose-uk-study-finds.html?utm_campaign=bhr&utm_source=website&utm_content=latestarticles

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

99% of people develop antibodies after 2nd COVID-19 vaccine dose, UK study finds

Nearly 100 percent of people developed COVID-19 antibodies after receiving their second dose of the Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccine in the U.K., according to new research from the National Health Service and University College London.

The preliminary findings, released May 14, are based on an analysis of 13,232 antibody samples from more than 8,500 people in England and Wales.

Researchers found 96.42 percent of study participants had antibodies 28 to 34 days after their first dose. This figure jumped to 99.08 percent seven to 14 days after their second dose.

Antibody positivity rates increased faster among people who received the Pfizer vaccine compared to the AstraZeneca vaccine, which has not been authorized for use in the U.S. Antibody rates were equivalent for both vaccines about four weeks after the first dose.

Antibody rates were lower with increasing age and among people with health conditions such as diabetes, heart disease and cancer, but nearly all study participants demonstrated high antibody levels after their second dose.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/99-of-people-develop-antibodies-after-2nd-covid-19-vaccine-dose-uk-study-finds.html?utm_campaign=bhr&utm_source=website&utm_content=latestarticles

I think there’s a real argument here that for a lot of people the second shot might not be worth the side effects if almost 97 percent have antibodies after the first shot 

12 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

I think there’s a real argument here that for a lot of people the second shot might not be worth the side effects if almost 97 percent have antibodies after the first shot 

Would be nice to have a 1 dose clinical trial from Pfizer and Moderna.  Nobody has any idea how long the protection from just 1 dose of their vaccines would last.  Not like we have a great idea yet about how long the protection from 2 doses will last, but there's more and more data being collected on that with time.

I think Johnson and Johnson is currently doing a 2 dose trial to see how much additional benefit that would have with their vaccine.

1 hour ago, schoeppeya said:

You would need to see more information before making this sort of determination including is there a difference between the groups in the titer levels (multiple studies have shown that high titers matter in preventing infection and severe illness) and what are the titers at 6 months and 12 months in each group. 

There was a lot of discussion early on when shots were in short supply to give one shot and delay the second because the first shot gives a lot of protection.  This should continue to be studied when considering how best to immunize globally. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Now somebody other than a company CEO is saying that a booster is likely within a year after getting vaccinated.  Dr Fauci:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/05/19/health/covid-vaccine-booster-anthony-fauci/index.html

Just to clarify, I was never stating that the booster was simply a means for Pfizer to profit off of this thing, or that they intentionally made the vaccine in such a way that they could “milk the cow” for annual profits. Boosters are a normal thing for many vaccines and it was always likely we would need one. My issue was the optics of the person making the announcement being one of the people who stands to profit the most in the long run and how the general public would take it.

• Like 1

The US has crossed the 125 million mark in terms of number of people fully vaccinated.  On a percentage basis, Maine leads in that category with 50% fully vaccinated.

18 states have at least 40% fully vaccinated. 

45 states have at least 30% fully vaccinated.  The 5 that are below 30% are Louisiana, Georgia, Arkansas, Alabama and Mississippi, although a few of those are getting extremely close to 30%