Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

53 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Currently in line for Pfizer #1 

It's done.  Painless experience.  Now we wait and see about any side effects.

This was a significant step for me.  I am cautious in general with what I put in my body... I don't smoke, rarely drink, and eat clean probably like 80-90% of the time.  As I have posted before, it had been over 15 years since I got any type of vaccine.  Being a younger guy, I just haven't felt the need, but covid is a different animal.  Over the last number of months, there were 3 factors that I was looking at when deciding whether I was going to do this. 

1) Efficacy rate.  As it turns out, it is very effective... way better than half protection.

2) Side effect profile.  Seems like fairly standard stuff overall, and I haven't heard about anybody growing horns out of their head.

3) Amount of progress in treatments for covid.  While there has been progress, it is not quite as much as I wanted it to be by this point.  The monoclonal antibodies are a nice option, but it's mainly for those who are thought to be at higher risk of severe illness (so if you're not at higher risk for severe illness but still end up getting severely ill... oops) and you have to give that in a certain window for it to really be effective, and they don't work so well against one or two of the variants.

I think I made a good decision and am glad to join the crowd of the vaccinated.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

It's done.  Painless experience.  Now we wait and see about any side effects.

This was a significant step for me.  I am cautious in general with what I put in my body... I don't smoke, rarely drink, and eat clean probably like 80-90% of the time.  As I have posted before, it had been over 15 years since I got any type of vaccine.  Being a younger guy, I just haven't felt the need, but covid is a different animal.  Over the last number of months, there were 3 factors that I was looking at when deciding whether I was going to do this. 

1) Efficacy rate.  As it turns out, it is very effective... way better than half protection.

2) Side effect profile.  Seems like fairly standard stuff overall, and I haven't heard about anybody growing horns out of their head.

3) Amount of progress in treatments for covid.  While there has been progress, it is not quite as much as I wanted it to be by this point.  The monoclonal antibodies are a nice option, but it's mainly for those who are thought to be at higher risk of severe illness (so if you're not at higher risk for severe illness but still end up getting severely ill... oops) and you have to give that in a certain window for it to really be effective, and they don't work so well against one or two of the variants.

I think I made a good decision and am glad to join the crowd of the vaccinated.

Second Moderna shot for me today. The first had some soreness at the injection site, that was it. Guess we’ll see what happens with this one. Cuomo and the other Tri-state area govs are “reviewing” policies after the CDC announcement yesterday. But in general it’s great to see the trajectory we’re on and normalcy coming back quickly. 

I do worry about lifting the indoor restrictions because people will just say they are vaccinated when they aren't. Thankfully places that tend to be crowded will still keep their mandates in place. Outside though the guidance does show its time to lose the masks, which is good for sporting events outside and student athletics.

6 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Terrified of what?  Side effects?

Yes. I haven't been vaccinated for anything in many years. I am so nervous i'm about to throw up. I think i will just cancel my appointment. I mean, if I don't get the vaccine I will probably still live right ? I'm just trying to debate on whether it's worth it or not.

• Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Snownado said:

I'm scheduled to get first vaccine tomorrow morning but i'm terrified. A part of me thinks that maybe I should just go without the vaccine and take my chances.

I admit I had some jitters.  Don't have a phobia of needles, but hadn't had a vaccine in so long and was wondering about what side effects I'd get.

Helps to focus on the big picture.  The payoff of getting it is tremendous as you almost eliminate your chances of getting deathly ill from covid.  You may have a relatively low risk of getting deathly ill from covid if you were to catch it, but you just never know. 

• Like 1

I also had not received any vaccinations for many years, but I was not concerned at all getting the COVID shot.  I figured, at worst, I would get a brief headache or feel tired.  Ultimately, I could not even feel being stuck by such a tiny needle (I used to donate plasma and they use a much larger needle) and I experienced no side effects other than a slighly sore upper arm for a day or two after each shot.  Getting the two shots was a nothingburger experience.  Now I am likely protected against any severe COVID symptoms if not completely immune.  Getting the shots was an easy choice for me.

• Like 4

My wife and I have been fully vaccinated for a few weeks now (our 2nd Pfizer dose was in mid April), never did have any detectable reaction whatsoever to the vaccine. I wear a heart rate monitoring watch (I’ve been wearing them since January 2015 and have 6 years of solid data now) and I saw a couple day marginal increase in my resting heart rate which I assume was my immune system doing what it does, and then back to my long term average.

Now that Pfizer is opened up for 12 and up, our 15 year old got his first shot this morning. So far so good. Now to get it approved for under 12’s so our 11 year old can get it and we’ll be done until it’s booster time whenever that may be.

1 hour ago, Snownado said:

Yes. I haven't been vaccinated for anything in many years. I am so nervous i'm about to throw up. I think i will just cancel my appointment. I mean, if I don't get the vaccine I will probably still live right ? I'm just trying to debate on whether it's worth it or not.

I’ve been working at the local health dept shot clinic since it opened and I’ve spoken to 2 people who reported any major symptoms (out of hundreds). 

A sore arm for day was well worth the peace of mind I now have.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Similar arm soreness as the first dose, plus some fatigue and generally “under the weather” feeling like when I have a cold. I slept for about 5 hours this afternoon so I’m a little less tired now. I’m not a fan of vaccines either but it’s worth it to put this pandemic behind me and do what I can to help society. 

4 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I also had not received any vaccinations for many years, but I was not concerned at all getting the COVID shot.  I figured, at worst, I would get a brief headache or feel tired.  Ultimately, I could not even feel being stuck by such a tiny needle (I used to donate plasma and they use a much larger needle) and I experienced no side effects other than a slighly sore upper arm for a day or two after each shot.  Getting the two shots was a nothingburger experience.  Now I am likely protected against any severe COVID symptoms if not completely immune.  Getting the shots was an easy choice for me.

Rumor has it getting the poke pretty much guarantees you will receive no snows in excess of 10 inches for a decade. Courage exemplified. 

• Haha 1

I've been on the road since Easter in a variety of states photographing dance competitions and college commencements.  There are so many various mask and dining mandates and the reactions to masks or no masks are also equally all over the road.  I walked into a Starbucks last Sunday without a mask when in Rockford, IL.  There were five baristas working and they had plexiglass all around the work area.  Three dead stopped and yelled about no mask and being unsafe.  

On Friday I was in Missouri at a commencement doing green screen images. The President was very pro-mask and nobody was allowed to unmask even when speaking.  Most of the commencement team were vaccinated and didn't wear their mask unless in the President's sight.  They had a code word on the radio to alert everyone of his presence.

I've been struggling with so much no indoor dining.  I'm sick of eating in my car or hotel room.

2 hours ago, KokomoWX said:

I've been on the road since Easter in a variety of states photographing dance competitions and college commencements.  There are so many various mask and dining mandates and the reactions to masks or no masks are also equally all over the road.  I walked into a Starbucks last Sunday without a mask when in Rockford, IL.  There were five baristas working and they had plexiglass all around the work area.  Three dead stopped and yelled about no mask and being unsafe.  

On Friday I was in Missouri at a commencement doing green screen images. The President was very pro-mask and nobody was allowed to unmask even when speaking.  Most of the commencement team were vaccinated and didn't wear their mask unless in the President's sight.  They had a code word on the radio to alert everyone of his presence.

I've been struggling with so much no indoor dining.  I'm sick of eating in my car or hotel room.

Hopefully remaining restrictions can go away soon.  A lot of states have had capacity limits on things (or even no indoor dining as you mentioned) and I think like 37 states had mask mandates at some point.  It was probably unrealistic to expect everything everywhere to change quickly even after the new CDC guidance came out.  We are sort of in a transition phase of pandemic life with places figuring out what to do.  Hopefully things look and feel different pretty soon.  imo it's going to be difficult even for a portion of vaccinated people to return back to a pre-covid type of life though.  May make for an interesting study in human behavior. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Hopefully remaining restrictions can go away soon.  A lot of states have had capacity limits on things (or even no indoor dining as you mentioned) and I think like 37 states had mask mandates at some point.  It was probably unrealistic to expect everything everywhere to change quickly even after the new CDC guidance came out.  We are sort of in a transition phase of pandemic life with places figuring out what to do.  Hopefully things look and feel different pretty soon.  imo it's going to be difficult even for a portion of vaccinated people to return back to a pre-covid type of life though.  May make for an interesting study in human behavior. 

I was back in OKC this last weekend-outside of grocery stores nobody was wearing masks. It felt pretty great. Maybe I shouldn’t be but I’m still pretty shocked at some restrictions in some places. The outdoor mask requirement deal in Hawaii is pretty crazy. 

2 hours ago, Jonger said:

I'm not requiring masks in my business.

About 25% of people are still wearing them.

Glad the unvaccinated folks are being so responsible and considerate.  /s

I bet if you could anonymously poll, the vast majority of those 25% are vaccinated and just generally cautious/anxious about covid. 

I'm looking forward to the governor here giving businesses the option to set their own policies on masks. We have over 70% of adults and 60% total with their first doses, our governor is saying he wants to wait until we have herd immunity to lift mask mandates but doesn't say the number he wants.  I wish he would at least just pick a date or number or something like most other states are doing. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

Glad the unvaccinated folks are being so responsible and considerate.  /s

I bet if you could anonymously poll, the vast majority of those 25% are vaccinated and just generally cautious/anxious about covid. 

I'm looking forward to the governor here giving businesses the option to set their own policies on masks. We have over 70% of adults and 60% total with their first doses, our governor is saying he wants to wait until we have herd immunity to lift mask mandates but doesn't say the number he wants.  I wish he would at least just pick a date or number or something like most other states are doing. 

Not really worried about COVID.... people within risk groups need to handle their business and let others get back to normal.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 3

20 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Are you stupid? Covid is still out there.

Of course it’s still out there, but the spine of the pandemic has been broken, especially in the US, thanks to a large number of people getting vaccinated. The vast majority of people getting covid in the US at this point are people getting covid by choice because they opted not to get vaccinated.

• Like 1

Have brought this up before, but would like to see medical people talk more about certain people still being vulnerable from a serious covid outcome after being fully vaccinated.  If I had anybody in my family who I had reason to think that the vaccine would not work well in them, I'd certainly suggest getting an antibody test after full vaccination to get an idea of how much their body responded.  I realize not everyone has the means to do that or may not even want to know, as it would be pretty disheartening to get vaccinated and learn that your immune response to it was minimal.

https://madison.com/news/local/health-med-fit/madison-woman-dies-from-covid-19-she-contracted-after-full-vaccination/article_403d81d3-5dd1-549d-a174-d0c46c92d23a.amp.html

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 2