• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

I'd not sound the 'All Clear' as yet,  the case load in Asia is surging, not just in India, after having been back down to relatively low numbers.

Research studies suggest the virus could potentially be 100x more infectious, although that may also influence its health impact in some unpredictable way.

So there is a real risk that this will be a long drawn out affair.

• Thanks 1

Not sure this is a great thing.  One aspect I have been interesting in finding out is whether the vaccine at least prevents long hauler covid in the subset of individuals who develop mild breakthrough infections.

CDC narrows monitoring of breakthrough COVID-19 cases

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/cdc-narrows-monitoring-of-breakthrough-covid-19-cases.html

59 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'm moving to Ohio

Ohio to give five residents $1 million each in vaccine lottery

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ohio-lottery-covid-vaccine/

:lol: Honestly Columbus was the best city I've lived in, would recommend. It's like a northern Charlotte, a lot of things to do and a much younger crowd than most Midwest cities. Also very clean place. Ann Arbor was cool but a tad pricey & hipster for me for what it was. 

Move to Columbus, get in that drawing for $1 Million and get that cheddar lol

I do want to say this as well, good on Ohio to end these mandates soon. I believe all mask mandates nationally need to end within the next couple of weeks as we need to do mental healing among those most afraid of this virus. I see it in some of your guys post on this thread, there are clearly those who I'd say are essentially traumatized by this event. Saw a lot of this after an EF-4 hit by my hometown killing 7 people, for the next year or so people would be running to their basements for just a Severe Thunderstorm Warning. These fatal events can be traumatic, and keeping stringent public health policies in effect when a widely available safe & effective vaccine is there is just not needed and reinforces that fear. We all need to get our shots and move on.

• Like 3

CDC came out with new guidance that vaccinated individuals can stop masking indoors in most situations.

This could put businesses in a tough spot.  If they keep a mask mandate, then people who are vaccinated aren't going to like it.  If businesses drop the mask mandate, then there will be unvaccinated maskless people who are pretending to be vaccinated.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

CDC came out with new guidance that vaccinated individuals can stop masking indoors in most situations.

This could put businesses in a tough spot.  If they keep a mask mandate, then people who are vaccinated aren't going to like it.  If businesses drop the mask mandate, then there will be unvaccinated maskless people who are pretending to be vaccinated.

My business dropped their mask mandate a month ago. Some people wear them, some don’t. It works. 

7 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

My business dropped their mask mandate a month ago. Some people wear them, some don’t. It works. 

Will be interesting to see what grocery stores and the like decide to do now.  Do they drop the mandates very quickly or keep them a little while longer...

3 hours ago, nwohweather said:

:lol: Honestly Columbus was the best city I've lived in, would recommend. It's like a northern Charlotte, a lot of things to do and a much younger crowd than most Midwest cities. Also very clean place. Ann Arbor was cool but a tad pricey & hipster for me for what it was. 

Move to Columbus, get in that drawing for $1 Million and get that cheddar lol

I do want to say this as well, good on Ohio to end these mandates soon. I believe all mask mandates nationally need to end within the next couple of weeks as we need to do mental healing among those most afraid of this virus. I see it in some of your guys post on this thread, there are clearly those who I'd say are essentially traumatized by this event. Saw a lot of this after an EF-4 hit by my hometown killing 7 people, for the next year or so people would be running to their basements for just a Severe Thunderstorm Warning. These fatal events can be traumatic, and keeping stringent public health policies in effect when a widely available safe & effective vaccine is there is just not needed and reinforces that fear. We all need to get our shots and move on.

I hope you’re not saying that seeing people in masks will trigger PTSD in people who have been traumatized by this pandemic, the way a severe thunderstorm warning triggers PTSD in those who have been traumatized by tornadoes, or hearing fireworks triggers PTSD in veterans who served in wars. One of these things is not like the others.

• Like 1

I hope you’re not saying that seeing people in masks will trigger PTSD in people who have been traumatized by this pandemic, the way a severe thunderstorm warning triggers PTSD in those who have been traumatized by tornadoes, or hearing fireworks triggers PTSD in veterans who served in wars. One of these things is not like the others.

No PTSD, just too many people are overly scared of this. Especially if you’re vaccinated
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StormfanaticInd said:

I think mask will now mostly be done with by the summer. Could however make a comeback next fall and winter just out of a abundance of caution?

Barring a variant that has high levels of vaccine escape, which the virus may not even be capable of without it weakening itself, i don't anticipate a major winter surge in the US.

• Like 1

Well had very minor symptoms so small I didnt think anything of it. Just chalked it up to working outside, but the fiancé got similar run down feeling yesterday morning and she works from home so out of an abundance of caution because I work construction with others we got tested. Came back positive today. The vaccine for both of us is booked for May 24 weekend so still might be able to make that. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

Well had very minor symptoms so small I didnt think anything of it. Just chalked it up to working outside, but the fiancé got similar run down feeling yesterday morning and she works from home so out of an abundance of caution because I work construction with others we got tested. Came back positive today. The vaccine for both of us is booked for May 24 weekend so still might be able to make that. 

IIRC they don't recommend getting vaccinated so soon after natural infection, since immunity from that will last for a few months at least.

Wishing you both a speedy/uncomplicated recovery.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baum said:

I'm starting to worry this thread might die. Despite the mod's best efforts.

Let's talk about the semi-outbreak with the Yankees.  Kind of impressive that 8 fully vaccinated people already tested positive.  That's over a relatively short amount of time of being fully vaccinated.  

If the PCR test isn't altered and enough people are routine tested, we may never drop below 10k cases per day in this country lol

On 5/10/2021 at 3:55 PM, Hoosier said:

My brother in law's aunt got the vaccine and is now in the hospital with a 104 fever and low oxygen (84%).  I am trying to find out exactly when she got the vaccine to see how much of a temporal relation exists.  Has anyone heard of that combination of side effects (high fever AND low oxygen) from the vaccine?  It sounds more like actual COVID.  

Update on this.  They tested her for covid and it did come back positive.  She is starting to do better.

That family is kinda slow with info and I still don't know when she got the vaccine, but reading between the lines it seems unlikely that she was fully vaccinated. 

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Let's talk about the semi-outbreak with the Yankees.  Kind of impressive that 8 fully vaccinated people already tested positive.  That's over a relatively short amount of time of being fully vaccinated.  

If the PCR test isn't altered and enough people are routine tested, we may never drop below 10k cases per day in this country lol

On 4/19/2021 at 7:42 AM, mattb65 said:

The 7 day average of reported cases will probably get below 10k well before the end of June, want to make a friendly wager?

If 7 day average of cases are below 10k before July 1st, you don't post in this thread for all of July and August,  if it never gets below that level I will do the same. 

I'm still liking my chances here, the trajectory on the decline looks good. 

By July/August this thread is going to be dead anyways just like the pandemic. 

:gun_bandana:

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

I'm still liking my chances here, the trajectory on the decline looks good. 

By July/August this thread is going to be dead anyways just like the pandemic. 

:gun_bandana:

So July 1 is 7 weeks away.  7 weeks ago we were averaging around 55k cases per day.  Now it is around 35k.

As far as I can tell, you have 2 things working in your favor and 1 working against in the coming weeks.  The two in your favor are more and more people being vaccinated and the change in season.  The thing working against is capacity limits/masking easing and people letting their guard down more.  I am a total amateur so take my opinion fwiw but I think it could be a close call as far as averaging under 10k by the end of June.

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

So July 1 is 7 weeks away.  7 weeks ago we were averaging around 55k cases per day.  Now it is around 35k.

As far as I can tell, you have 2 things working in your favor and 1 working against in the coming weeks.  The two in your favor are more and more people being vaccinated and the change in season.  The thing working against is capacity limits/masking easing and people letting their guard down more.  I am a total amateur so take my opinion fwiw but I think it could be a close call as far as averaging under 10k by the end of June.

In just one month average daily cases dropped from  ~66,000, to ~34,000 and this has happened with people being much more sociable and active even in states with relatively lower levels of vaccination. The seasonal effects to suppress spread of the infection are very powerful this time of year and when you thrown on top of that strong negative pressure from 55-60% of the population having immunity from prior infection and vaccination - you get big time infection decay. It's perfectly logical why the CDC has decided now is the time to say ditch the masks if you've been vaccinated.

I'm going off of Lawyer Craig's numbers which I believe only include the 50 states and DC - they are often different from worldometers which includes puerto rico and other territories. On Worldo it's at 36,650 down from 72,300.

No signs that the decline is slowing down yet, if anything the decline has been gaining steam.

Sadly the lame Hawaii governor decided to keep in place the mask mandate including outdoors because he says there's no way to tell who is vaccinated or not. Really mind boggling - we are in the top 3 in rates of vaccination and top 3 lowest per capita case rate right now and he is not ready to implement CDC guidance. He's worried about  people being able to tell who is vaccinated or not, at this point, why does it matter? Over 59% of the entire population and over 70% of adults in Hawaii have gotten their 1st dose. Vaccines are widely available at no cost to anyone that want it. Sure, young children can't be vaccinated yet but follow the science here they don't get any more sick than they do from the hundreds/thousands of viruses they get exposed to all the time, ugh. This is the kind of stuff that really rubs people the wrong way.

• Like 4

What will be interesting to see is if there is any sort of rise or at least a cessation of the dropping numbers in southern states this summer.  If you'll recall, the summer 2020 surge was underway by June before peaking later in July/into August, and the thought was that people being locked up indoors more because of the heat at least played a role in the spread.  Obviously it's a different ballgame now with so much vaccine, so something of the same magnitude won't play out this time.  A number of those states have lower vaccine uptake though, so I would not be shocked if there comes a point where the covid numbers there get a little stubborn.

5 hours ago, mattb65 said:

In just one month average daily cases dropped from  ~66,000, to ~34,000 and this has happened with people being much more sociable and active even in states with relatively lower levels of vaccination. The seasonal effects to suppress spread of the infection are very powerful this time of year and when you thrown on top of that strong negative pressure from 55-60% of the population having immunity from prior infection and vaccination - you get big time infection decay. It's perfectly logical why the CDC has decided now is the time to say ditch the masks if you've been vaccinated.

I'm going off of Lawyer Craig's numbers which I believe only include the 50 states and DC - they are often different from worldometers which includes puerto rico and other territories. On Worldo it's at 36,650 down from 72,300.

No signs that the decline is slowing down yet, if anything the decline has been gaining steam.

Sadly the lame Hawaii governor decided to keep in place the mask mandate including outdoors because he says there's no way to tell who is vaccinated or not. Really mind boggling - we are in the top 3 in rates of vaccination and top 3 lowest per capita case rate right now and he is not ready to implement CDC guidance. He's worried about  people being able to tell who is vaccinated or not, at this point, why does it matter? Over 59% of the entire population and over 70% of adults in Hawaii have gotten their 1st dose. Vaccines are widely available at no cost to anyone that want it. Sure, young children can't be vaccinated yet but follow the science here they don't get any more sick than they do from the hundreds/thousands of viruses they get exposed to all the time, ugh. This is the kind of stuff that really rubs people the wrong way.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/05/11/cdc-exaggerates-outdoor-transmission-rate-covid-19-experts/amp/

On the outdoor transmission subject. Stuff like this really should be inexcusable and absolutely destroys the credibility of the CDC. 

• Like 2

What's become clear is that the outdoor mask mandates were never needed, and likely relied on faulty guidance to justify them. At this point, most adults who wanted to be vaccinated have gotten at least their first dose and a majority of those who haven't probably are hesitant or are straight up anti-vaxxers.

The CDC's new guidance finally recognized that we should no longer be tailoring society to protect people who largely don't want to be, or the hypercautious. Particularly outdoors, the vaccinated have essentially zero risk and the unvaccinated have extremely low risk, especially in the warmer months. I doubt many are going to continue to heed outdoor mask mandates and they're not usually enforceable anyway.

Indoors will probably be a different story. There may be increased instances of people refusing to wear masks in stores, but I suspect for a while longer that most people will see it as a minor inconvenience not worth causing a fuss over. The indoor mask ordinances do need to be rolled back sooner rather than later though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Remember that multi-system inflammatory syndrome in children that got a lot of attention for a while?  Indiana's covid dashboard now includes info on those cases.  

Doing the math, there have been about 112,000 confirmed covid cases in age 20 or younger in Indiana.  There have been 89 cases of the multi-system inflammatory syndrome in people 20 or younger, so that comes out to about 1 in 1300 confirmed covid cases in that age group having the multi-system inflammatory syndrome.  The actual frequency could be lower since many children with covid have mild symptoms (or maybe even no symptoms) and may not be getting tested.