Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

3 hours ago, schoeppeya said:

How’re those states doing with Covid numbers right now 

This is hard to measure,  if you look at covidactnow.org you can sort by daily cases per 100k or current infection Rt. Louisiana and Alabama have among the top 5 Rt but their current daily cases per 100k is in the bottom 10 in states. Hard to declare winners and losers

I don't think there's been enough time to show a negative correlation between vaccination rates and infection rates between different states. Maybe check back in 6 months to see if there's been a difference between cases per capita and deaths per capita between high vaccine and low vaccine states. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Here is the CDC data on percentage of people who have received at least 1 dose of vaccine.  There is an obvious common link between the 10 worst states.  Some of them have double trouble in being very Republican and also having a relatively large % of African American residents, which are 2 groups that tend to be more vaccine hesitant.

42. West Virginia 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 632,161 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 35.27 

43. Indiana 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 2,351,172 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 34.92 

44. Arkansas 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 1,051,126 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 34.83 

45. Georgia 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 3,594,066 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 33.85 

46. Tennessee 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 2,286,642 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 33.48 

47. Idaho 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 595,128 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 33.3 

48. Wyoming 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 192,439 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 33.25 

49. Louisiana 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 1,479,847 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 31.83 

50. Alabama 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 1,546,659 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 31.54 

51. Mississippi 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 898,809 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 30.2

Interesting that you have a northern state like Indiana in the bottom 10. But i've always heard that Indiana is the most southern northern state. However, I don't believe Indiana has a very large black population.

53 minutes ago, Snownado said:

Interesting that you have a northern state like Indiana in the bottom 10. But i've always heard that Indiana is the most southern northern state. However, I don't believe Indiana has a very large black population.

We don't.  Indiana is around 10% black.  The national number is 13%.  Some of those southern states are 25-30%+ black.

33 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

We don't.  Indiana is around 10% black.  The national number is 13%.  Some of those southern states are 25-30%+ black.

But Wyoming, Idaho, and West Virginia, which are almost entirely white, are also on that list. The commonality isn’t entirely racial demographics.

42 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

But Wyoming, Idaho, and West Virginia, which are almost entirely white, are also on that list. The commonality isn’t entirely racial demographics.

I never said it was.  Political affiliation seems like the bigger factor than race when it comes to vaccine resistance.  

8 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Whats crazy is operation warp speed was Trump's idea. So why are so many Republicans antivax???:facepalm:

So much I could say here, and I had a response typed up about people caring about certain things when it’s convenient for them, but I seem to recall that being a big component of the War of 4/13.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Whats crazy is operation warp speed was Trump's idea. So why are so many Republicans antivax???:facepalm:

LOL? My first run in with an antivax person was a very liberal Democrat. A lot of Hollywood run in the antivax circle as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Almost as good as the people in China that were supposedly passing out in the streets from the virus.  Glad people are catching on.  

xed47eyxeqv61.jpg

Would that be the conservative New York Post sensationalizing about covid for clicks?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, mollydog said:

LOL? My first run in with an antivax person was a very liberal Democrat. A lot of Hollywood run in the antivax circle as well.

I don't know what the percentages are but there's definitely a faction on the left that has been anti-vax for many years. 

I think the magnitude of the political divide over the covid vaccine specifically is unlike anything we've seen though.    

@Hoosier

West Virginia is getting creative at trying to improve their vaccination numbers

West Virginia Gov. Justice: State will use COVID-19 stimulus funds to give all residents 16-35 a $100 savings bond

https://www.wvnews.com/news/wvnews/west-virginia-gov-justice-state-will-use-covid-19-stimulus-funds-to-give-all-residents/article_3464b366-a6af-11eb-8cef-a3be246c97ac.amp.html

Assuming these numbers are reasonably correct, India has about 20 times fewer ICU beds per capita than the US. So obviously you don't even need similar infection/hospitalization rates to the US or Europe to have a huge problem.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-with-most-critical-care-beds-per-capita.html

2 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

I'm going to make one of those that says "when you get shot in chicago" and the picture collage will be mugshots and see if you guys still think its funny.

You could argue that wearing $2 gas station sunglasses is a crime too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

I'm going to make one of those that says "when you get shot in chicago" and the picture collage will be mugshots and see if you guys still think its funny.

This is a hell of stretch. Political avatars having nothing to do with gun violence. Probably be better to find a liberal tell on people who far too scared of covid or something. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

Im with you here, if people havent realized the media sensationalizes headlines and stretches the truth for clicks I dont know what to say

Exactly, what's the point in him posting those pictures? Is it to prove that the NY Post is a garbage news source and a glorified tabloid? You don't need to convince me...

Is it to downplay the covid situation in India?

Seems like everything in India regarding covid is as bad as one could imagine right now.  

https://www.statnews.com/2021/04/27/in-covid-grip-india-gasps-for-air-if-there-is-an-apocalypse-this-has-to-be-one/

1 hour ago, schoeppeya said:

Im with you here, if people havent realized the media sensationalizes headlines and stretches the truth for clicks I dont know what to say

Yes, the media sensationalizes.  

There are not people dropping dead in the streets from covid.  

• Weenie 1

50 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-56891016

Dr Harjit Singh Bhatti, who works on a Covid ward of Delhi's Manipal Hospital, described watching people gasping for air in the street like "fish out of water".

"They are not getting oxygen and they are dying on the roads," he said.

1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

This is a hell of stretch. Political avatars having nothing to do with gun violence. Probably be better to find a liberal tell on people who far too scared of covid or something. 

Fair, just the first one that came to mind.

I agree with the first sentence and strongly disagree with the next. I have spent a lot of time in India. We have close family friends in Southern India and my husband has a team that he manages in northern India. Reports from both of those have said the situation is incredibly dire and there are dead bodies on the streets in India. They can not cremate fast enough. They do not have the infrastructure to handle a pandemic.

1 minute ago, mollydog said:

I agree with the first sentence and strongly disagree with the next. I have spent a lot of time in India. We have close family friends in Southern India and my husband has a team that he manages in northern India. Reports from both of those have said the situation is incredibly dire and there are dead bodies on the streets in India. They can not cremate fast enough. They do not have the infrastructure to handle a pandemic.

And 5x the number of people in 1/3 the area. Yeah, I absolutely believe it. This is incredibly awful.