Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

32 minutes ago, Powerball said:

I see some people are still misconstruing what Dr. Fauci actually said. 

To be clear, what he said was:

1. New infections need to fall not just below 10K cases per day, but *WELL* below 10K cases per day.

2. Once new cases per day are *WELL* below 10K, there could be a  *GRADUAL* pull back of *SOME* restrictions. 

He also stressed that the nation till has a lot of work to do before it reaches that point.

For those who want to read his actual words that were quoted, see the link below:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/fauci-clashes-gop-lawmaker-covid-restrictions-eased/story?id=77097089

I respect Dr. Fauci quite a bit and really don't like the way some law makers have behaved and been disrespectful toward him like what happened with Jim Jordan.

There does need to be a better articulated end game. I think setting a goal to some low level of infections before we recommend easing up should be the message right now. They've done this on a local level here.  "Well below 10,000" is too vague.  Gun to head,  Dr. Fauci said 10,000 even if he qualified it with "well below". 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

I respect Dr. Fauci quite a bit and really don't like the way some law makers have behaved and been disrespectful toward him like what happened with Jim Jordan.

There does need to be a better articulated end game. I think setting a goal to some low level of infections before we recommend easing up should be the message right now. They've done this on a local level here.  "Well below 10,000" is too vague.  Gun to head,  Dr. Fauci said 10,000 even if he qualified it with "well below". 

I firmly believe Jim Jordan’s goal there was simply to pick a fight. I say this because, in my opinion, even if Fauci gave him a technical answer, there’s no way he would have understood it.

23 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

..."Well below 10,000" is too vague... 

And just saying "below 10K" is even more vague.

That said, everyone's entitled to their own opinion (right or wrong) about the data. I just think we're best served if we don't misquote what other scientific experts say, like some have been doing.

I believe this is our plateau week. Next week starts the permanent down turn. By end of May pretty much anyone that wants a shot will have gotten one, only group that we're still waiting on is the 17 and under crowd.

lol.
Some people just can't help themselves. 

That said, everyone's entitled to their own opinion (right or wrong) about the data.

sure.

• Haha 2

Fauci needs to be fired because he's been a walking contradiction. The NWS doesn't say head to the basement for some tornadoes, they say take cover and head for an interior room for all tornadoes. This guy needs a lesson from President Biden, simple and consistent messaging about this virus.

• Weenie 2

15 minutes ago, Powerball said:

And just saying "below 10K" is even more vague.

That said, everyone's entitled to their own opinion (right or wrong) about the data. I just think we're best served if we don't misquote what other scientific experts say, like some have been doing.

Below 10k isn't vague at all, either you're above the number or below it. How is that vague?

I know of many many adults 25 to 55 here that will refuse to get the vaccine under any circumstance, when asked why most say something about a micro chip or fact it’s poison and will make them sick over a virus that isn’t even bad. Frustrating, but it’s out there and more widespread than you may think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mattb65 said:

Below 10k isn't vague at all, either you're above the number or below it. How is that vague?

More people have been upset over people wearing masks outside or being careful using figures than they are at the anti vaxx nonsense going on. I personally don’t wear a mask outside ever, but who gives a crap if someone does, it s hurting nothing.

2 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

I know of many many adults 25 to 55 here that will refuse to get the vaccine under any circumstance, when asked why most say something about a micro chip or fact it’s poison and will make them sick over a virus that isn’t even bad. Frustrating, but it’s out there and more widespread than you may think.

Exactly. For a lot (maybe a majority, maybe not) of people with vaccine hesitancy, said hesitancy isn’t guided by anything resembling science.

Just now, StormfanaticInd said:

Vaccination is our only way out of this in a reasonable time. Period

It’s going to be an uphill climb when everyone knows a crazy Aunt Susan or their mom’s next door neighbor or their chiropractor’s secretary who won’t get vaccinated because of some gobbledygook they read on social media about microchips or something.

6 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Exactly. For a lot (maybe a majority, maybe not) of people with vaccine hesitancy, said hesitancy isn’t guided by anything resembling science.

They act like if we say we will burn all masks and nothing will be restricted these people will suddenly jump in line for a vaccine. I hate to say it but these people will not be getting vaccinated under any circumstance. They literally are frightened or have been duped to believe they are dangerous somehow.

2 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

It’s going to be an uphill climb when everyone knows a crazy Aunt Susan or their mom’s next door neighbor or their chiropractor’s secretary who won’t get vaccinated because of some gobbledygook they read on social media about microchips or something.

Facebook is a huge source of this. I’ve been shown more screenshots than you can imagine.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

Below 10k isn't vague at all..

Yes it is vague, because a literal interpretation of "below 10K" could mean anywhere from 0 cases to 9,999 cases per day (massive range).

At least saying "well below 10K" can be interpreted to mean the number would not be near the high end of that range.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Yes it is vague, because a literal interpretation of "below 10K" could mean anywhere from 0 cases to 9,999 cases per day (massive range).

At least saying "well below 10K" can be interpreted to mean the number would not be near the high end of that range.

Dude, above or below 10k is a binary yes or no.  

On the other hand, "well below" is up for debate.  That could mean 8k to someone, 6k to someone else, etc.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

16 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Lol

• Weenie 1

Just now, Wmsptwx said:

These people are getting it from memes passed around on Facebook. It’s sad.

Facebook is a ****ing cesspool and Twitter isn’t much better, though the wife doesn’t have a Twitter account so I can at least argue with people on there without getting judgment from her when it inevitably gets blasted into her newsfeed like it does on Facebook.

2 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Facebook is a ****ing cesspool and Twitter isn’t much better, though the wife doesn’t have a Twitter account so I can at least argue with people on there without getting judgment from her when it inevitably gets blasted into her newsfeed like it does on Facebook.

I have neither. Which is probably why I am here debating Covid. Lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

I have neither. Which is probably why I am here debating Covid. Lol

Also the people running the company I work for are pretty far to the right (I overheard them talking about stuff bordering on QAnon at least once a month before we switched to work from home), so I wouldn’t want them to happen upon me laying into some anti-vaxxer or anti-masker on Facebook while using my real name.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Private companies should be allowed to make the decisions on these and deal with consequences accordingly.

4 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Private companies should be allowed to make the decisions on these and deal with consequences accordingly.

This executive order does not apply to private companies, though as I recall, AZ is one of a few states considering regulating that as well. Ironic that some people are adamantly against telling private businesses what to do unless it’s convenient for them.

7 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

I agree.

4 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

This executive order does not apply to private companies, though as I recall, AZ is one of a few states considering regulating that as well. 

Correct.

So far, I think the only other states to formally regulate this are Texas and Florida (I could be mistaken), although the governor of Georgia has gone on record to say he's philosophically not in favor of passports.