Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

2 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

The fact that healthy young professional athletes are still suffering speaks volumes about this p1 variant 

It flies in the face of a few here who keep barking that healthy people aren't impacted as severely or that exercise will save them. If NHL players are getting this sick then exercise is irrelevant.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, Stebo said:

It flies in the face of a few here who keep barking that healthy people aren't impacted as severely or that exercise will save them. If NHL players are getting this sick then exercise is irrelevant.

Statistically, healthy people aren't impacted as severely.  It's not a magic bullet, but you'd rather be a healthy individual without comorbidities.

I don't think I have seen anybody beat their chest about their personal fitness level on a non-fitness board as much as winterwx21, but there's a lot of truth in what he posts about risk levels and how to reduce your odds of having severe covid.  One thing he has not really mentioned though is that it's tough to predict how his body would react if it encountered one of the variants.  There's some variables involved and just because you flew through covid with ease the first time doesn't necessarily mean it would be the case next time.

14 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Statistically, healthy people aren't impacted as severely.  It's not a magic bullet, but you'd rather be a healthy individual without comorbidities.

I don't think I have seen anybody beat their chest about their personal fitness level on a non-fitness board as much as winterwx21, but there's a lot of truth in what he posts about risk levels and how to reduce your odds of having severe covid.  One thing he has not really mentioned though is that it's tough to predict how his body would react if it encountered one of the variants.  There's some variables involved and just because you flew through covid with ease the first time doesn't necessarily mean it would be the case next time.

LOL, you are right about that. And I do apologize if I go overboard with that. I'll try to tone it down a little, lol. But I do think it's important to get the message out about how much improved fitness reduces severe Covid risk. So many people don't seem to realize the major connection between fitness level and Covid risk. I've posted studies that have shown it. I've seen many doctors comment that it has absolutely driven them crazy that health authorities didn't get the message out early in this pandemic about how risk can be reduced through improved health (diet/exercise). Just like a lot of lives would have been saved had we not had some overly conservative republicans (Trump of course being the biggest problem) discouraging mask use, a lot of lives also would have been saved had health authorities gotten the message out early about how to reduce risk by getting into better shape. Those 2 things have been the biggest problems during this pandemic. Really a shame ... we never should have had this many hospitalizations and deaths.

You are right that I can't be sure my body would handle it as easily if I caught one of the worst variants. I think my odds of getting severe Covid where I would have to go to the hospital would still be extremely low (but not zero), but with a bad variant I'm sure odds would be higher that I could get pretty sick like we've seen with a bunch of athletes on the Canucks hockey team. I've leaned against vaccination, but it is something I will still consider. Vaccination is a no brainer for people with any kind of condition that puts them at higher risk (which is the majority of the adult population in this country), but it's a more difficult decision for athletes. Many athletes don't feel this way, but there are also many that would rather rely on the natural protection of fitness than put something unnatural into their body. But it is something I will consider in the next few weeks.

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

Don't know if you saw this, but I posted it earlier today...

https://www.miragenews.com/shot-of-exercise-can-prevent-covid-19s-deadly-543704/

This study really shows the connection between physical activity level and severe Covid risk. I've posted other studies in the past too, like one where they looked at fitness level of people that did treadmill stress tests and risk of of hospitalization. The evidence that higher fitness level greatly reduces severe Covid risk is really strong. The new study that I just posted above says that physical fitness is the greatest severe Covid risk factor besides being old and organ transplant.

I think the problem is you are misunderstanding what severe Covid outcome means. These athletes that are stuck in bed because of being sick as a dog are not having severe outcomes. As rough as it is, it's a heck of a lot better than being in a hospital fighting for your life. While great fitness does not always prevent athletes from getting very sick, it does almost always prevent them from having the severe outcome of having to be in the hospital to be saved or even dying. This is a very good thing, and shows the importance of fitness to prevent things like lungs and heart failing. Also realize that while some athletes get pretty sick, there are tons of athletes that get mild to no symptoms. The virus has been much less severe for athletes than the general population. So you are dead wrong when you claim that healthy people are impacted as severely. The statistics overwhelmingly prove that you are wrong about that. A higher percentage of obese people will die from Covid, but very few healthy athletes will. Exercise is VERY important to reduce risk.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 4

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Obviously you'd rather be healthy, but some here are treating it as if it is the magic bullet, it is just like the equivalent of SC not having covid earlier in the thread. Just like it wasn't raining gold there it isn't raining tread machines here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

Obviously you'd rather be healthy, but some here are treating it as if it is the magic bullet, it is just like the equivalent of SC not having covid earlier in the thread. Just like it wasn't raining gold there it isn't raining tread machines here.

I don’t think it’s a magic bullet but I think for a lot of people it reduces the chances of severe covid to an “acceptable” risk level (flu like risk level for young/healthy/no pre existing health conditions). 

• Weenie 2

7 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

Don't know if you saw this, but I posted it earlier today...

https://www.miragenews.com/shot-of-exercise-can-prevent-covid-19s-deadly-543704/

This study really shows the connection between physical activity level and severe Covid risk. I've posted other studies in the past too, like one where they looked at fitness level of people that did treadmill stress tests and risk of of hospitalization. The evidence that higher fitness level greatly reduces severe Covid risk is really strong. The new study that I just posted above says that physical fitness is the greatest severe Covid risk factor besides being old and organ transplant.

I think the problem is you are misunderstanding what severe Covid outcome means. These athletes that are stuck in bed because of being sick as a dog are not having severe outcomes. As rough as it is, it's a heck of a lot better than being in a hospital fighting for your life. While great fitness does not always prevent athletes from getting very sick, it does almost always prevent them from having the severe outcome of having to be in the hospital to be saved or even dying. This is a very good thing, and shows the importance of fitness to prevent things like lungs and heart failing. Also realize that while some athletes get pretty sick, there are tons of athletes that get mild to no symptoms. The virus has been much less severe for athletes than the general population. So you are dead wrong when you claim that healthy people are impacted as severely. The statistics overwhelmingly prove that you are wrong about that. A higher percentage of obese people will die from Covid, but very few healthy athletes will. Exercise is VERY important to reduce risk.

Looks like this is from the same study. Almost thought I was reading a headline for an article about the vaccine "reduce your risk of severe covid."

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/04/14/regular-exercise-can-reduce-your-risk-of-severe-covid-study.html

We're over a year in now. Plenty of time to have made healthier choices.  

• Weenie 2

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

This “fitness can prevent severe covid” debate is turning into the new “masks can make you sick.” At least this one has more legitimacy, but we’re beating a dead horse here.

Agreed.

We get it. A healthy lifestyle can reduce the risk of contracting COVID and experiecing severe symptoms.

But we don't have to keeping hearing it 27 times over again from the same person(s), who in all truthfulness is probably just trying to humblebrag. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Agreed.

We get it. A healthy lifestyle can reduce the risk of contracting COVID and experiecing severe symptoms.

But we don't have to keeping hearing it 27 times over again from the same person(s), who in all truthfulness is probably just trying to humblebrag. 

Lol

ETA: You and a couple other people attaching personal narratives to everything is what starts these huge derailments in this thread. 

• Weenie 2

11 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

Lol

ETA: You and a couple other people attaching personal narratives to everything is what starts these huge derailments in this thread. 

Bottom line here is yes, winterwx21 is absolutely correct that physical fitness goes a long way to prevent covid from sending you to the hospital or killing you. On the other hand, “if you could just get your resting heart rate down to 32, covid will be nothing more than a mild cold” probably won’t be successful in getting many people off of their couches.

4 hours ago, dta1984 said:

Looks like this is from the same study. Almost thought I was reading a headline for an article about the vaccine "reduce your risk of severe covid."

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/04/14/regular-exercise-can-reduce-your-risk-of-severe-covid-study.html

We're over a year in now. Plenty of time to have made healthier choices.  

Yeah, lots of articles have come out on this because it's a major new study. I will post one more, because in this article doctors explain the reasons why the exercise greatly reduces severe Covid risk. Like what happens to the lungs when you exercise, and why that helps you fight off respiratory diseases...

https://www.shape.com/fitness/tips/study-regular-exercise-lowered-risk-of-severe-covid-19

This study is getting a lot of attention because is shows such a strong association between activity level and severe Covid risk. Here is a quote from one of the study's authors...

"What surprised me the most from this study was the strength of the association between inactivity and poor outcomes from Covid-19," said study co-author Deborah Rohm Young.

"Even after we included variables such as obesity and smoking in the analysis, we still saw inactivity was strongly associated with much higher odds of hospitalization, ICU admission and death, compared with moderate physical activity or any activity at all," she added.  

And study author Dr. Robert Sallis added this...

"I continue to believe that exercise is medicine that everyone should take, especially in this era of Covid-19."

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

So I'm assuming none of the canucks were fully vaccinated before the brazil variant took over the team?

I find it odd major sports teams upper management is putting pressure on the players to put out the  message that they are wanting to get vaccinated and that the public should. People shouldn't need a professional athlete telling them what to do, let alone an athlete being told what to do or say. A lot of athletes are reluctant to get vaccinated and have the viewpoint of winter and his elite status resting heart rate health. Now if children could get the vaccine, I could see the motive.

18 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

234k new cases in India the last 24 hours, over 3k deaths in Brazil. Those 2 countries are a mess right now. Going to be seeing some insane numbers in the next few weeks out of there.

I was reading that the number of cases in India is likely much higher because of the small proportion of people getting tested. It would almost certainly be the worst official outbreak in the world by far if testing was on pace with the US/Europe. And Brazil is a corrupt disaster as you pointed out with a clueless and corrupt president that openly mocks public safety measures, so what do you expect. The cramped and impoverished conditions that most in the cities there deal with makes it even worse. 

24 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

234k new cases in India the last 24 hours, over 3k deaths in Brazil. Those 2 countries are a mess right now. Going to be seeing some insane numbers in the next few weeks out of there.

I have a feeling Brazil will surpass us in deaths when it’s all said and done. And they have less than 2/3 our population...

• Sad 1

I was reading that the number of cases in India is likely much higher because of the small proportion of people getting tested. It would almost certainly be the worst official outbreak in the world by far if testing was on pace with the US/Europe. And Brazil is a corrupt disaster as you pointed out with a clueless and corrupt president that openly mocks public safety measures, so what do you expect. The cramped and impoverished conditions that most in the cities there deal with makes it even worse. 

Was thinking about this, https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/02/06/964527835/why-the-pandemic-is-10-times-worse-than-you-think, this article says that as of February we were catching about 1/4 of actual new infections.

What sort of estimate was given for the current percent surveillance for India? Sad to say, going to be some unimaginable suffering there, especially in the desperately impoverished areas. And Brazil is scary bad right now.

3 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

Was thinking about this, https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/02/06/964527835/why-the-pandemic-is-10-times-worse-than-you-think, this article says that as of February we were catching about 1/4 of actual new infections.

What sort of estimate was given for the current percent surveillance for India? Sad to say, going to be some unimaginable suffering there, especially in the desperately impoverished areas. And Brazil is scary bad right now.

Regarding Brazil, It actually looks like their caseload is starting to go back down. Still bad there regardless, going to pass US in per capita deaths next week.

https://www.covid19india.org/

India current positivity is 15-16%. Was only 8-9% at peak last summer. Both countries had initial spike in one area, Manaus for Brazil and Maharashtra state (which includes Mumbai) for India which quickly spread to the rest of the country. Both countries also have worse spreads than in their initial waves last year. Unlike with the US this winter their isn't a clear seasonal explanation.

• Like 1

Have to say I think when all is said and done, the USA will have handled this the best. Have some Canadian counterparts (office in Mississauga) telling me that Ontario is pretty much under martial law (cops can pull you over to ask where you are going) and that even outdoor activities like golf are banned. Meanwhile a young person like myself was able to get fully vaccinated relatively easily B)

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

12 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Have to say I think when all is said and done, the USA will have handled this the best. Have some Canadian counterparts (office in Mississauga) telling me that Ontario is pretty much under martial law (cops can pull you over to ask where you are going) and that even outdoor activities like golf are banned. Meanwhile a young person like myself was able to get fully vaccinated relatively easily B)

We are among the best in handling vaccinations for sure.  There were plenty of mistakes earlier on though.

• Like 1