Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

5 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

BTW you were asking about how much having a strong cardiovascular system can protect against Covid. A couple months ago I posted a study that looked at people that did treadmill stress tests and later tested positive for Covid. Each level of better fitness on the treadmill resulted in a lower hospitalization rate. Fitness level really matters when it comes to Covid risk. That's why of all the athletes in college and pro sports that have tested positive, it's incredibly rare that these athletes end up in the hospital.

Look. Other countries stopped the vaccine at times. The Britain health regulator has recommended people under 30 not take this type of vaccine, and now some US health officials are saying pause. This is not just me making stuff up. These are health experts. There is legitimate concern about this type of vaccine. Enough that healthy young people should consider the risk. The other type of vaccines seem much safer, thankfully. I've said enough on this subject. Everyone have a good day.

No one doubts that fitness and health are strongly associated with good covid outcomes. You just exaggerate the benefit to absurdity to the point where you actually believe vaccines are more dangerous than the virus. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

Diet and exercise do very little against infectious diseases. Fine, I'll buy in that your immune system is excellent, and that's great! But even the best immune system in the world will get shat upon by a virus like Ebola or smallpox. The reason you've remained healthy for so long is because as a species, we've invented technology and practices that limit disease spread. 

Don't call other people dumbasses and then follow it up with something like this. 

• Weenie 5

4 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

Don't call other people dumbasses and then follow it up with something like this. 

It's true though. Infectious diseases literally evolve to infect you -to use your body as a host- and you think eating your veggies will stop a severe disease from rocking your world?

Look, my statement was a bit hyperbolized. Of course, being healthy is a must. Obviously, fat people will die at far greater rates from most diseases. But there comes a certain point on the healthiness scale, where no matter how much good food you eat, it won't help you any more. Your immune system is either impaired, or it isn't. And sure, exercise will lead to greater amounts of immune factors and all that, but all the same, it irks me when people say that eating right and being healthy will save you. It won't. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dta1984 said:

Just noticed the top report in this database is a woman who was hospitalized 3 days after J&J and later died.  Not sure if this is linked to the vaccine or not, but close timing.  

https://www.openvaers.com/covid-data

It is linked, she's the only person to have died from the vaccine (that I know of) It's in the article I listed above. 

21 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

No one doubts that fitness and health are strongly associated with good covid outcomes. You just exaggerate the benefit to absurdity to the point where you actually believe vaccines are more dangerous than the virus. 

I never said vaccines are more dangerous than the virus. I realize the virus kills hundreds of thousands of people, and the vaccines are safe overall and save lots of lives. The vaccines are a great thing. So many people are at higher risk of dying from Covid. I've said over and over that the majority of people should take vaccines. I just think for the smaller percentage of people that are in great shape and are at low Covid risk, not wanting to take the vaccine can be considered a reasonable decision. There are people that are at such low Covid risk that it's not something worth worrying about. Just like when you go driving down the highway, there is a very tiny chance you'll die in an accident. But the chance is so low you don't worry about it. But there are lots of people that are at higher Covid risk and need to worry, so these vaccines are a great thing.

22 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

It is linked, she's the only person to have died from the vaccine (that I know of) It's in the article I listed above. 

It's the same type of vaccine as the Astrezenaca vaccine, and quite a few people have died from blood clots from that vaccine. Again, the Britain's health regular says don't take the vaccine if you're under 30. You're saying he doesn't know what he's talking about? Again The J & J is the exact same type of vaccine, so there is the same concern. It's being stopped in this country right now because of health experts. I guess you think you know more than these health experts that are concerned about the vaccine.

3 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

It's the same type of vaccine as the Astrezenaca vaccine, and quite a few people have died from blood clots from that vaccine. Again, the Britain's health regular says don't take the vaccine if you're under 30. You're saying he doesn't know what he's talking about? Again The J & J is the exact same type of vaccine, so there is the same concern. It's being stopped in this country right now because of health experts. I guess you think you know more than these health experts that are concerned about the vaccine.

“The same type” is relatively meaningless. A Boeing 737 MAX and an Airbus A321 are roughly “the same type” of airplane. But I do my research when I book flights and wouldn’t book a flight on one of those two.

From the Mayo Clinic:

COVID-19 vaccine myths debunked

https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.org/hometown-health/featured-topic/covid-19-vaccine-myths-debunked

Myth: I won't need to wear a mask after I get vaccinated for COVID-19.

Fact: It may take time for everyone who wants a COVID-19 vaccination to get one. Also, while the vaccine may prevent you from getting sick, it is unknown at this time if you can still carry and transmit the virus to others. Until more is understood about how well the vaccine works, continuing with precautions such as mask-wearing and physical distancing will be important.

8 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Also, if in fact Michigan has reached its peak in COVID cases with this surge, IMO increasing the vaccine supply to the state really wouldn't make a difference at this point. Too little, too late. 

That's the bad thing about this virus. By the time you recognize the surge it's already too late

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

That's the bad thing about this virus. By the time you recognize the surge it's already too late

Yep.

Then the other thing too is, it's not that states aren't getting enough vaccine doses, but rather they are still suffering from the lack of staff / volunteers to support with the vaccinations, as well as easily accessible sites where individuals can go to be vaccinated. I know someone in Michigan who tried getting an appointment for days. They were eventually able to get one, but not without going through a hell of a time. 

Given the situation and the choices available, I do think the Biden's administration's response to instead help Michigan distribute the supply it already has faster (by sending more vaccinators) was the right answer. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CorePunch said:

364F3188-8454-474D-A5AB-F52312C0429E.png

That's pretty gross hyperbole, and unhelpful IMO.

The CDC and FDA (two government agencies that were created for the sole purpose of helping to ensure the medical products we use are safe) are doing the responsible thing and asking state to pause the vaccinations just to be certain there isn't a deeper issue with the J&J vaccine that would require more research and correction. 

If this form of due dillegence delays our mission for a few more days, then so be it. In the grand scheme of things, given this pandemic has been ongoing for well over a year, that's hardly a long time. 

2 minutes ago, Powerball said:

That's pretty gross hyperbole, and unhelpful IMO.

The CDC and FDA (two government agencies that were created for the sole purpose of helping to ensure the medical products we use are safe) are doing the responsible thing and pausing the vaccinations just to be certain there isn't a deeper issue with the J&J vaccine that would require more research and correction. 

If that delays things for a few more days, then so be it. In the grand scheme of things, given this pandemic has been ongoing for well over a year, that's hardly a long time. 

Zero risk is impossible. Right? Im not defending the tweet either. But it seems odd. Honestly 

7 minutes ago, CorePunch said:

Zero risk is impossible. Right? 

If this pause can help them discover ways to decrease risk from (just using random numbers I pulled out of thin air) 2% to 1%, or ensure the risk isn't greater than originally judged, that's a good thing IMO.

Just now, Powerball said:

If this pause can help him discover ways to decrease risk from (just using random numbers I pulled out of thin air) 2% to 1%, or ensure that risk isn't greater than originally judged, that's a good thing. 

People are dying out there man. Covid is posing a substantially higher risk than (currently) 1 - 1000000 women developing blood clots. Actually, I have to defend Silvers Tweet. He’s right, statistically yanking this vaccine is deadly. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CorePunch said:

People are dying out there man. Covid is posing a substantially higher risk than (currently) 1 - 1000000 women developing blood clots. Actually, I have to defend Silvers Tweet. He’s right, statistically yanking this vaccine is deadly. 

People have been dying out there for well over a year. A brief pause to ensure the vaccine is as safe as it possibly can be makes little difference.

And let's be clear. It's not like the government has banned the vaccine or is coming in to confiscate the supplies that have already been distributed. Once they complete their review, if all checks out, states can go right back to injecting people immediately. 

EDIT: And another point. This has no impact on the Moderna or Pfizer vaccines which are still being given to people as we type. 

6 minutes ago, CorePunch said:

If it was the only vaccine I'd agree with you. But there's 2 other vaccines with ample supply. The pause probably won't be very long. 

In the mean time, the people who are unhappy about the developments with the J&J vaccine and others not getting vaccinated quick enough need to keep doing what the CDC has recommended since the beginning of the pandemic (and as well as encouraging others to do the same):

*Maintain 6 feet distance from other individuals

*Wear a mask at all times around other people when outside your home

*Don't attend medium / large gatherings

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This is the best news I've heard in awhile. I have a few anti vaxxer friends with seasons. I bet they are going to get counterfeit passports. Anyway to prevent that from happening? Similar to fake ids. 

I'm surprised they're not allowing the option of being tested. Of course some states are banning vaccine passports completely, but for ones that will allow them most of the talk for big venues is that they'll give the option of providing a negative test. This with the Buffalo Bills doesn't seem fair at all because there are people that can't be vaccinated for medical reasons. It's ridiculous if they don't allow the negative test option. Terrible that people will be excluded. Talk about discrimination.

Hopefully they will not go this far for the venues that I go to, Citi Field and Madison Square Garden. So far all indications are that they will continue to allow the negative test option for those venues. If that changes, I might be forced to get vaccinated. Although I am still considering vaccination anyway, despite all my talk here that I would be concerned about taking the tiny risk of vaccination causing some kind of reaction. I could get the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine and tell them they have to watch me for a half hour rather than the 15 minutes, since I have a history of bad allergic reactions. I might do this if it looks as if there's gonna be discrimination against non vaccinated people, but I am ok with large venues requiring vaccination as long as they also allow the negative test option.

Let me also say that I find it pretty funny that Bills QB Josh Allen says he might not want a vaccine and doesn't believe in any kind of vaccine mandate, yet a vaccine mandate is going to be in place for Bills fans. I'm sure he's not too happy about this.