Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

12 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Looks like that part is mostly up to the states (see TX).  Most other fall sports look to return to full capacity this fall.

I'm not sure what your point is. What's mandated and not has always been up to the states since the beginning of the pandemic. 

Since there was a question about what the CDC says (and they've always been just guidelines), I thought I'd post a link directly to the source so we're not baselessly speculating. But it is interesting to me that some folks in this thread claim to be relying on what the CDC says, and then in the same breath cry about doing their own thing when they disagree with the CDC's guidelines.

36 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

One thing missing from the story is how many covid cases were there among those 2.5 million fully vaccinated?  72 hospitalized out of how many cases?

Whose to say they didn't' get Covid very closely after getting vaccinated in which case the vaccine would not be effective yet? You're not fully vaccinated until 2 weeks after the 2nd shot. 

3 minutes ago, Powerball said:

I'm not sure what your point is. What's mandated and not has always been up to the states since the beginning of the pandemic. 

Since there was a question about what the CDC says (and they've always been just guidelines), I thought I'd post a link directly to the source. But it is interesting to me that some folks in this thread claim to be relying on what the CDC says, and then in the same breath cry about doing their own thing when they disagree with the CDC's guidelines.

I was just answering @MJO812 question about gatherings.  Cdc says ok, assuming he's talking about personal family or friend gatherings.

You brought up the football, which i was just pointing out is state controlled (capacity of stadiums). 

56 minutes ago, Powerball said:

No, they are not.

Instead, you have a bunch of people in an echo chamber who are only hearing what they want to hear and taking bits and pieces of information out of context because they're so desperate for life to return back to the normal they had grown accustomed to in 2019.

I get it, times have been trying. But the fact of the matter is, as a nation we still have a long ways to go before the coronavirus no longer dictates the way we live. 

They literally posted data from the CDC... we don't have a long ways to go,  a couple more months isn't that long. 

This model has been remarkably accurate to include predicting the plateau/rise in cases over the past 6 weeks - months before it happened.  It predicts cases droping dramatically through May and June where June 1st has 33k cases total on June 1 and less than 10k by July 1 - that's total cases not positive tests. At that level and with the majority of high risk people vaccinated,  I would bet that the daily death rate will be less than 100. If we have infections and deaths at that low of a level and >60% of adults vaccinated then we will be in a great position to have almost all of the restrictions lifted.  If that isn't good enough then nothing will. 

Source - https://covid19-projections.com/path-to-herd-immunity/

In addition to the infection levels getting to such low levels there is also the rational argument that once everyone who wants the vaccine will have had a chance to get it.  Once that happens, there's no good argument for restrictions imo.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

I was just answering @MJO812 question about gatherings.  Cdc says ok, assuming he's talking about personal family or friend gatherings.

You brought up the football, which i was just pointing out is state controlled (capacity of stadiums). 

I brought up football games because it is a type of gathering, and @MJO812 didn't specify what type of gatherings he was referring to. Also, more than one other user did brag about attending sport events at thir first opportunity.

Point being, the CDC has not given the OK to attend all types of gatherings. They are very specific on the type of gatherings fully vaccinated people should and should not attend. 

6 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Whose to say they didn't' get Covid very closely after getting vaccinated in which case the vaccine would not be effective yet? You're not fully vaccinated until 2 weeks after the 2nd shot. 

It did say the 72 were fully vaccinated.  But yeah, could it be that some of them developed covid a few days after receiving dose #2 and didn't require hospital care until 2 weeks had gone by?  Who knows.

15 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I linked a story here recently that mentioned a guy who had the first dose, developed covid and died before getting the 2nd dose.  Some other reports of vaccinated people dying in Michigan which are being investigated.  We are talking about small numbers though.

Even one person is one too many. #SayNoTo5G

3 minutes ago, Powerball said:

I brought up football games because it is a type of gathering, and @MJO812 didn't specify what type of gatherings he was referring to. Also, more than one other user did brag about attending sport events at thir first opportunity.

Point being, the CDC has not given the OK to attend all types of gatherings. They are very specific on the type of gatherings fully vaccinated people can and cannot attend. 

I'm talking about big gatherings 

7 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

They literally posted data from the CDC...

Whatever data they claim to be posting from the CDC has been, as I said, used out of context by individuals in this thread.

Also, the claim someone made about 80% of people being fully vaccinated certainly didn't come from the CDC. 

8 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Whatever data they claim to be posting from the CDC has been, as I said, used out of context by individuals in this thread.

Also, the claim someone made about 80% of people being fully vaccinated certainly didn't come from the CDC. 

He claimed if the current rate of vaccinations continues that we will reach 80% of adults in about 1.5 months which is correct plotting a linear graph from where we are now per the CDC with a daily rate of 3.1 million shots per day. 

Do you have trouble with reading comprehension and algebra? y = mx + b

You could argue instead that current rates aren't likely to continue but instead you said it's "false information". 

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I do expect the vaccine pace to slow down some in the next month or two.  Obviously the timing on that will be important.  At this point, I don't think we'll actually see 80% of the 16+ crowd get vaccinated, unless a significant number of people were lying in the public opinion polls.  Never know I guess.

Too much reluctance by people even though there is no issues with the vaccines, so I agree that we won't see 80% either for a long time. That is a pipe dream.

36 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Maybe you could go to large gatherings if you got one of these :ph34r:

https://nypost.com/2021/02/25/school-band-rehearses-in-individual-pods/

school-bands-now-playing-pods-1.jpg

Or, you can just not attend large gatherings at all like the scientists at the CDC have advised.

I know everyone'a different, but I'm not in a hurry to get in the middle of a crowd.

26 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

:thumbsdown:

This is very wrong and a big problem. But I disagree that it’s “the inevitable consequence of vaccine passports.” That’s an extremist viewpoint from an extremist individual who sensationalizes for clicks and views. Look her up.

But in all seriousness, I guess it’s not all that far-fetched that situations like that could happen in the United States. Based on everything that has happened throughout history, if something can be used to discriminate against people, it probably will.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

But in all seriousness, I guess it’s not all that far-fetched that situations like that could happen in the United States. Based on everything that has happened throughout history, if something can be used to discriminate against people, it probably will.

Agreed. I think in our current political climate a reason to divide people even further is probably a bad idea. 

1 hour ago, mattb65 said:

He claimed if the current rate of vaccinations continues that we will reach 80% of adults in about 1.5 months which is correct plotting a linear graph from where we are now per the CDC with a daily rate of 3.1 million shots per day...

For your information, this is the post I was referring to:

3 hours ago, schoeppeya said:

Depends what you call "much of the country". Good luck expecting people to keep wearing masks when 80% of them have been vaccinated and deaths are extremely low. 

Again, the CDC has said nothing of the sort.

Furthermore, the poster you're referring to has been moving the goal posts. This is what they originally said (and BTW, they didn't specify they were talking about people age 16+ in this post):

A lot of people are getting them. As long as 60-70% of people get them along with prior infections we will reach herd immunity.

In any event, this is what the CDC has actually said:

1. Individuals are not fully vaccinated until they receive 2 doses.

2. Their definition of herd immunity accounts for people of *ALL* ages being *FULLY* vaccinated. 

3. The herd immunity threshold is still unknown.

I don't know what you're trying to gain from running interference for people who are not being truthful and instead seek to mislead. But just know that covering for propagandists never ends well for you. :)

1 minute ago, schoeppeya said:

Agreed. I think in our current political climate a reason to divide people even further is probably a bad idea. 

How naive of me to forget that the human race is comprised mostly of s***heads whose main objective in life is to s*** on other people every chance they get.

10 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Furthermore, the poster you're referring to has been moving the goal posts. This is what they originally said (and BTW, they didn't specify they were talking about people age 16+ in this post):

2. Their definition of herd immunity accounts for people of *ALL* ages being *FULLY* vaccinated. 

I don't know what you're trying to gain from running interference for people who are not being truthful and instead seek to mislead. But just know that covering for propagandists never ends well for you. :)

You're arguing that I said "vaccinated" instead of "fully vaccinated" and therefore trying to mislead people? I know I have come after quite a few people for name calling, but arguing with a bunch of pro vax people in a Covid thread that they are not pro vax enough or claiming they are purposefully misleading people with their CDC references and cited information makes you a dipshit, and calling out reasonable people who have been very hard on people actually spreading disinformation for "covering for propagandists" makes you look like a dumbass, not the white knight you think it does. 

• Weenie 1

13 minutes ago, Powerball said:

I've read their posts for months and disagree that those individuals are propagandists. I don't always agree with their opinions but both offer good faith discussions. I haven't seen either purposefully mislead or spread misinformation.  

The premise of the posts you had a problem with was correct, that's why I responded. You claimed it is misinformation,  I had a proven with that.  If you read what they said in context they were writing about rates of adults getting vaccinated. 

We are a lot closer to things being  "normal" than you're willing to acknowledge. 

• Like 1

Just now, schoeppeya said:

You're arguing that I said "vaccinated" instead of "fully vaccinated" and therefore trying to mislead people?

You posted that 80% of people are vaccinated.

That's not true, and most definitely misleading if you meant to say something else.

For you to claim you got that information from the CDC, who said nothing of the sort, is also dishonest.

7 minutes ago, Powerball said:

You posted that 80% of people are vaccinated.

That's not true, and most definitely misleading if you meant to say something else.

For you to claim you got that information from the CDC, who said nothing of the sort, is also dishonest.

My 80% was in reference to this summer, because in your post I quoted, you said people were silly to expects no masks by "the summer". That' not misleading, its called you lacking reading comprehension-ironic that you were passing judgment on others for that. I got that information from @BuffaloWeather who was extrapolating data he got from the CDC. 

• Weenie 1

37 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

...I don't always agree with their opinions...

There's a difference between having a difference of opinion, and making a proclamation as if it's a fact.

If they had said, for example:

"Based on the current vaccination numbers being reported by the CDC, I feel comfortable engaging in normal activities again."

^^^That's one thing.

But instead, when they make authoritative statements like:

"Once 60 - 70% of people are vaccinated, we'll reach herd immunity" or "80% of people are vaccinated." or "We'll be at herd immunty by the end of May."

^^^Those are problematic comments because they're factually incorrect and not backed by any scientific evidence, thus should be called out as such.