Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

6 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

65+ at 80% vaccine rate is the most important number to me as that segment was the hardest hit. 

That's not what you just said earlier:

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

At our current vaccination rate 80% of 16+ will be vaccinated by end of May. Along with prior infections, that is herd immunity. 

ShoddyLimpingIvorybilledwoodpecker-small

7 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

@Powerball  Anything else I don't understand?

Perhaps reading isn't your strong suit either.

I'm not sure what "severe disease as defined by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)" means, but this part is definitely clear (which the original poster conveniently omitted in their citation):

"This vaccine is 95.3% effective against severe COVID-19 as defined by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)."

So like I said, you can still catch the virus and suffer from severe symptons despite being vaccinated. A vaccine merely reduces the chances of that happening (not eliminate them). In the case of the Pfizer vaccine, it seems to greatly reduce those chances (but still not eliminate them). However, Pfizer that's only one of several vaccines that Americans are taking. 

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

At this rate, the first dose shots:

End of

April - 154.6m

May - 211m

16+ population numbers (based on 266.3m population)

End of

April - 58.1%

May - 79.7%

50% on 4/19

60% on 5/3

69.420% on 5/17

You're not fully vaccinated with just one dose though.

What don't you understand about that? 

4 minutes ago, Powerball said:

I'm not sure what "severe disease as defined by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)" means, but this part is definitely clear (which the original poster conveniently omitted in their citation):

"This vaccine is 95.3% effective against severe COVID-19 as defined by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)."

So like I said, you can still catch the virus and suffer from severe symptons despite being vaccinated. A vaccine merely reduces the chances of that happening (not eliminate them). In the case of the Pfizer vaccine, it seems to greatly reduce those chances (but still not eliminate them). However, Pfizer that's only one of several vaccines that Americans are taking. 

I guess that term can be subjective.

The J & J vaccine is the worst of the 3 used in terms of efficacy in the US. However, its 100% effective against hospitalization and death. In my opinion, that is what really matters. 

"provided 100 percent efficacy against hospitalizations and deaths"

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2021/03/420071/how-effective-johnson-johnson-covid-19-vaccine-heres-what-you-should-know

• Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, Powerball said:

It's has been, so far, 100% percent effective at preventing death (and I believe hospitalizations thus far). 96% of people not getting seriously sick isn't good enough for you?

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I said vaccinated not fully vaccinated. 1 dose offers 80% protection. 

There's no use arguing with somebody who thinks we need restrictions until there is a zero percent chance anyone can catch covid or have symptoms. 

• Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

There's no use arguing with somebody who thinks we need restrictions until there is a zero percent chance anyone can catch covid or have symptoms. 

This isn't going to work out well at the end. People are becoming antsy to go out and enjoy life.

5 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

This isn't going to work out well at the end. People are becoming antsy to go out and enjoy life.

Hey well if wearing his mask until summer 22 makes him feel warm and fuzzy inside, he can go right ahead and do so. Won’t be many people joining in though. 

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

Hey well if wearing his mask until summer 22 makes him feel warm and fuzzy inside, he can go right ahead and do so. Won’t be many people joining in though. 

Where’s the personal bacteria farm guy? He might have something to say.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

23 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I said vaccinated not fully vaccinated. 

If that's the case, you can't also go around pedalling the effectiveness rates for fully vaccinationed individuals at the same time. Again, spreading misinformation. 

Furthermore, this herd immunity threshold you're hoping we reach is with the assumption that a percentage of americans amongst *ALL* age groups are *FULLY* vaccinated. Hate to break it to you, but per the numbers I sourced earlier, we're not even close to that point. 

17 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

I never said that.

I do, however, take issue with people spreading false information about the virus like several individuals are doing in this thread.

5 minutes ago, Powerball said:

I never said that.

I do, however, take issue with people spreading false information about the virus like several individuals are doing in this thread.

You’re talking about the people providing cdc/government links for everything they are posting. 

15 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

I don't really care as long as I can go to gatherings and do other stuff.

19 minutes ago, Powerball said:

I never said that.

Give it a rest they are spreading factual information and you are getting hung up on very minor minutia. If vaccine rates continue at their current pace the timelines posted are accurate that we will have a critical mass of people vaccinated by late May with first shots and full vaccination a month later.  As was posted the econd shot only provides modest additional benefit.  Look at the UK to see how well their first shot strategy is working.

I think the bigger concern is that vaccine rates are unlikely to continue at this pace due to reduced demand from people that are actually buying into false information. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

Give it a rest they are spreading factual information... 

No, they are not.

Instead, you have a bunch of people in an echo chamber who are only hearing what they want to hear and taking bits and pieces of information out of context because they're so desperate for life to return back to the normal they had grown accustomed to in 2019.

I get it, times have been trying. But the fact of the matter is, as a nation we still have a long ways to go before the coronavirus no longer dictates the way we live. 

50 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

It's has been, so far, 100% percent effective at preventing death (and I believe hospitalizations thus far). 96% of people not getting seriously sick isn't good enough for you?

There was a recent story out of Washington state that mentioned that some fully vaccinated people were hospitalized with covid.  It was a very small number though... I think 8 people or something.

I do expect the vaccine pace to slow down some in the next month or two.  Obviously the timing on that will be important.  At this point, I don't think we'll actually see 80% of the 16+ crowd get vaccinated, unless a significant number of people were lying in the public opinion polls.  Never know I guess.

11 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

There was a recent story out of Washington state that mentioned that some fully vaccinated people were hospitalized with covid.  It was a very small number though... I think 8 people or something.

Small numbers, but there are hospitalizations after vaccination

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/ezike-just-72-of-2-5-million-individuals-vaccinated-against-covid-hospitalized-due-to-virus/2481842/

6 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

One thing missing from the story is how many covid cases were there among those 2.5 million fully vaccinated?  72 hospitalized out of how many cases?

According to Ezike, just 72 of the more than 2.5 million individuals in the state who have been fully vaccinated against the virus have been hospitalized after contracting COVID-19 following their shots, with just 0.003% of vaccinated individuals developing serious-enough cases of the virus to be hospitalized.

1 minute ago, dta1984 said:

Didn't the cdc say you can gather normally after vaccination?  

This is what the CDC said:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

It says only gather around folks who have also been fully vaccinated or are not at high risk.

It specifically says *DON'T* attend medium / large gathering (such as Football games), and *DON'T* be around high-risk people indoors without a mask

38 minutes ago, Powerball said:

No, they are not.

Instead, you have a bunch of people in an echo chamber who are only hearing what they want to hear and taking bits and pieces of information out of context because they're so desperate for life to return back to the normal they had grown accustomed to in 2019.

I get it, times have been trying. But the fact of the matter is, as a nation we still have a long ways to go before the coronavirus no longer dictates the way we live. 

If you think this place is an echo chamber you haven’t been here long. 

Sports and every other major event plan on being full capacity in the fall. I’ll be vaccinated and I’ll be there, along with 80k other people (per game) You keep doing you though. 

And, you want to talk about misinformation? How about acting like being vaccinated doesn’t prevent you from dying from Covid, which is really all that matters. Or, that there’s any good reason not to live life like normal when everybody who wants the vaccine has gotten it. Because as far as I can tell the only reason you came in here to spread your self righteous bullshit. 

• Weenie 1

17 minutes ago, Powerball said:

This is what the CDC said:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

It says only gather around folks who have also been fully vaccinated or are not at high risk.

It specifically says *DON'T* attend medium / large gathering (such as Football games), and *DON'T* be around high-risk people indoors without a mask

Looks like that part is mostly up to the states (see TX).  Most other fall sports look to return to full capacity this fall.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

Had anyone died from Covid after getting their first dose?

I linked a story here recently that mentioned a guy who had the first dose, developed covid and died before getting the 2nd dose.  Some other reports of vaccinated people dying in Michigan which are being investigated.  We are talking about small numbers though.