• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

There are about 65 million kids under the age of 16 in the US.  I did some math, and to get 70% of the country vaccinated without those under age 16 would take about 87% of age 16+ to get vaccinated.  Basically, we won't have a realistic chance to get to 70% of the country vaccinated until it opens up for the age groups under 16.

9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

There are about 65 million kids under the age of 16 in the US.  I did some math, and to get 70% of the country vaccinated without those under age 16 would take about 87% of age 16+ to get vaccinated.  Basically, we won't have a realistic chance to get to 70% of the country vaccinated until it opens up for the age groups under 16.

Only 46 people died from covid between 0-17 years old in the USA since covid started.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#SexAndAge

477 ages 0-17 died from the flu in the 2018-2019 flu season

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

I don't think it really matters for those under 17, unless the Brazilian variant really is that deadly for those younger..

The flu is 10 times more deadly for those under 17, unless I am reading the data incorrectly?

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Only 46 people died from covid between 0-17 years old in the USA since covid started.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#SexAndAge

477 ages 0-17 died from the flu in the 2018-2019 flu season

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html

I don't think it really matters for those under 17, unless the Brazilian variant really is that deadly for those younger..

The flu is 10 times more deadly for those under 17, unless I am reading the data incorrectly?

I thought it was actually over 200 child deaths so far.  I recall someone posting that number somewhere.

My point had more to do with reaching a semblance of herd immunity in the US.  You hear these numbers thrown out there that it may take 70%, 80%, etc through a combination of vaccinations and prior infections.  If that's the case, that is quite a few months away.  Doesn't mean that things won't continue to get better in the meantime.

6 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I thought it was actually over 200 child deaths so far.  I recall someone posting that number somewhere.

My point had more to do with reaching a semblance of herd immunity in the US.  You hear these numbers thrown out there that it may take 70%, 80%, etc through a combination of vaccinations and prior infections.  If that's the case, that is quite a few months away.  Doesn't mean that things won't continue to get better in the meantime.

Lot of those kids are going to have antibodies. Lots of them already do.

Recommendations in keeping with emerging evidence

The TAG was set up to provide advice to WHO/Europe on matters relating to schooling in times of COVID-19. This includes advice on the epidemiology of school transmission, infection prevention and control, and public health measures and their effects on the development and well-being of school-aged children.

It aims to identify findings from emerging evidence to inform policy decisions on educational, social, developmental and health outcomes for children and adolescents. Based on their review, the TAG noted that:

• even with the wider spread of more infectious variants, there is no evidence that schools contribute in a major way to community transmission;
  • school closures by themselves will not control the pandemic; and
  • measures such as physical distancing, masks, hand hygiene and ventilation, applied in an age-appropriate way, should allow schools to stay open even with increasing numbers of infected people in the community.

The TAG also reiterated points raised in earlier meetings, including that:

• closing schools should be a last resort;
  • schools should be among the first to reopen; and
  • young people in schools need to be part of the decision-making process on prioritizing and implementing interventions that affect them.

https://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/health-emergencies/coronavirus-covid-19/news/news/2021/4/ensuring-safe-schooling-during-covid-19

• Like 1

My question, why can't you work out at home? I have to imagine you have a weight set at home and if you are running/calisthenics you can do this in your yard or at a local park. I just don't understand the need to physically be in a gym.

Have you ever played a sport? Not being mean but if you’re trying to get gains and max out, this is not doable at hone unless you have some serious setup.

Also you have to have a partner to spot you as well. Running actually hurts getting bigger

10 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah the 2nd article I posted showed the actual numbers. Covid really didn't affect kids 18 and under. The brazilian mutation seems to be targeting the younger population more.

47 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Looks like OTC meds could have saved 32% of lives lost?

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.03.29.21253914v1

Not that much for a couple reasons. 

1. 32.5% is a relative risk reduction - aka if the death rate is 1% in the control group then the death rate in the treatment group would be 0.68%. In other words the absolute risk reduction would be 0.32% so 0.32% of people would be saved by this intervention. 

Relative risk reduction is often publicized by it may exaggerate the benefit, I always try to calculate the absolute risk reduction when deciding how beneficial something is. 

2. This is an observational study and subject to confounding bias. Maybe more young people than old people are prescribed zyrtec or other h1 blockers because seasonal allergies don't affect older people as much as younger people.  That's why the authors say that prospective controlled trials are needed. 

These type of observational trials can be helpful to provide a signal that an intervention might be beneficial but the prospective trial to try and account for any confounding variables is needed to prove it. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Powerball said:

Have you ever lived in Texas?

No, hence the reason I said someone else’s response “would indicate” that it’s expensive. Also, February’s tragic events prove without a doubt that Texas isn’t the utopia that Texans think it is.

10 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

No, hence the reason I said someone else’s response “would indicate” that it’s expensive. Also, February’s tragic events prove without a doubt that Texas isn’t the utopia that Texans think it is.

I live in a highly desirable area (Whole Foods / Trader Joes nearby, tons of corporate offices, tons of festivals, every type of chain, independent & ethnic restaurant you can think of, light rail line set to open in 2023, etc.) and I don't pay anywhere near "a couple grand per month."

No place is perfect. That said, trees here have been near full bloom for the past couple of week, it's been consistently in the 70s & 80s since the event in February, job opportunities are plentiful and I don't have to pay an income tax. The positives definitely seem to outweight the negatives that come with once in a century weather.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Powerball said:

I live in a highly desirable area (Whole Foods / Trader Joes nearby, tons of corporate offices, tons of festivals, every type of chain, independent & ethnic restaurant you can think of, light rail line set to open in 2023, etc.) and I don't pay anywhere near "a couple grand per month."

No place is perfect. That said, trees here have been near full bloom for the past couple of week, it's been consistently in the 70s & 80s since the event in February, job opportunities are plentiful and I don't have to pay an income tax. The positives definitely seem to outweight the negatives that come with once in a century weather.

Fair enough.

On 4/10/2021 at 11:54 AM, CorePunch said:

A couple automotive suppliers in the Detroit area just packed up and moved their corporate offices to other states. One being Florida (Tampa) and another being Texas (Austin). Climate, talent pool and taxes are a perk to many strapped companies. Anyhow, this isnt quite virus related but it’s pertinent to this post. 

Unless these are tech-oriented companies, the talent pool part doesn't check out.

Tampa, while a very nice city (one of my favorites), has a laughable pool of educated talent and Austin is only good for tech talent.

Detroit is still (by far) the place auto companies want to be in order to easily attract/poach talent, especially Mechanical Engineers. 

20 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Unless these are tech-oriented companies, the talent pool part doesn't check out.

Tampa, while a very nice city (one of my favorites), has a laughable pool of educated talent and Austin is only good for tech talent.

Detroit is still (by far) the place auto companies want to be in order to easily attract/poach talent, especially Mechanical Engineers. 

Tech/Infotainment based automotive suppliers. Ill have to link the Crain’s business article. It mentioned talent specifically. 

44 minutes ago, Powerball said:

ATL is an incredible city. Love the city and that state. You did good on moving there. 

Edit: Were you not in GA? Seems you moved again? 

Just now, CorePunch said:

Tech/Infotainment based automotive suppliers. Ill have to link the Crain’s business article. It mentioned talent specifically. 

Fair enough. 

If they're tech-oriented companies, that's understandable.

I don't see the actual manufacturing auto suppliers like Lear or Visteon leaving.