Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

1 hour ago, schoeppeya said:

I think there’s a lot of gym goers that would place themselves in the “healthy and don’t need a vaccine” category. No evidence to back any of this up so it’s just our opinions, really. But I wouldn’t be the business trying it in the gym industry. They charge monthly for memberships, so you’re talking about charging people for a service the gym then wouldn’t let them use. 

You’re probably right. There are a lot of people whose entire identity is “I go to the gym a lot” and I would guess that a lot of them have similar political views.

13 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

You’re probably right. There are a lot of people whose entire identity is “I go to the gym a lot” and I would guess that a lot of them have similar political views.

Nothing wrong with that just like there's nothing wrong with anyone identifying with any of their other (healthy) hobbies. The bolded is quite the generalization.

16 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

Nothing wrong with that just like there's nothing wrong with anyone identifying with any of their other (healthy) hobbies. The bolded is quite the generalization.

It’s quite possibly not a fair generalization, it’s anecdotal based on the small number of people I personally know in that category. I think it’s questionable whether or not one hobby being a person’s entire identity is “healthy,” but I think psychoanalysis is far beyond the scope of this discussion, so my apologies for crossing the line of things that are or aren’t relevant here.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 8:30 PM, Chambana said:

I didn’t realize Ron DeSantis joined the 5G nanochip crowd? And explain to me why Florida real estate is exploding. People are fleeing democrat strongholds. Florida is wide open and numbers are good. 

LOL real estate is exploding everywhere.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

A couple automotive suppliers in the Detroit area just packed up and moved their corporate offices to other states. One being Florida (Tampa) and another being Texas (Austin). Climate, talent pool and taxes are a perk to many strapped companies. Anyhow, this isnt quite virus related but it’s pertinent to this post. 

Just now, CorePunch said:

A couple automotive suppliers in the Detroit area just packed up and moved their corporate offices to other states. One being Florida (Tampa) and another being Texas (Austin). Climate, talent pool and taxes are a perk to many strapped companies. Anyhow, this isnt quite virus related but it’s pertinent to this post. 

I was talking about residential real estate though.  commercial real estate has gotten cheaper because so many offices will become downsized due to more people choosing to work from home (even after the pandemic)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CorePunch said:

Climate and taxes maybe, but I’d be surprised if the “talent pool” is any better in a place like Texas or Florida than, say, New York or California. It might not be significantly worse either, but those two states aren’t exactly known for superior education. (Of course, it’s also industry dependent.)

16 hours ago, IWXwx said:

From the multiple studies I've read, the gym is not a high risk location for spread IF they strictly adhere to distancing and masks mandates.  Otherwise, it's a free-for-all.

I think lifting weights and stuff like that hasn't shown much spread.  i've heard exercise classes have been the source of numerous outbreaks though.  which kind of makes sense.  10 people in the same room with poor ventilation, huffing and puffing while doing zumba, doesn't sound ideal.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Climate and taxes maybe, but I’d be surprised if the “talent pool” is any better in a place like Texas or Florida than, say, New York or California. It might not be significantly worse either, but those two states aren’t exactly known for superior education. (Of course, it’s also industry dependent.)

Those things you mentioned make it a lot easier to attract talent. Makes it a lot more attractive when you don’t have to spend a couple grand in month in rent, as well.

54 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

A relative of mine recently became a realtor and he says it is crazy right now.  Obviously he has no past experience to base it on but since he is new, he works with a mentor who has been at it for decades and even she says it is great now. 

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Mom has a fever. 101.

I have bad shoulder pain and chills

And to think this is the 1st shot

I don't even want to know how the 2nd will react 

If I recall correctly,  you caught covid about a year ago, right? If you've had the virus before, the vaccine hits you harder.  You'll both be fine by tomorrow. 

Take a Tylenol. 

• Like 1

Real estate is insane everywhere right now, even in an ugly, boring place like Rochester, MN. My gf's sister lives in Austin and sends us these hilarious real estate listings. This one will probably sell for $1.1-1.2 million. Anything that gets listed in Austin receives over a hundred offers in just a few days. Most will be under contract within 48 hours, with the inspection waived (same is true in MN!). People will bid $50-100,000 over list and write a letter to the seller/agent explaining their educational and professional achievements.

https://www.redfin.com/TX/Austin/1119-1-2-Gunter-St-78702/home/31375308

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WaryWarren said:

Real estate is insane everywhere right now, even in an ugly, boring place like Rochester, MN. My gf's sister lives in Austin and sends us these hilarious real estate listings. This one will probably sell for $1.1-1.2 million. Anything that gets listed in Austin receives over a hundred offers in just a few days. Most will be under contract within 48 hours, with the inspection waived (same is true in MN!). People will bid $50-100,000 over list and write a letter to the seller/agent explaining their educational and professional achievements.

https://www.redfin.com/TX/Austin/1119-1-2-Gunter-St-78702/home/31375308

It was like that in Edmond, Ok, last year and is like that here in Carmel, In area this year. Wife and I have resigned to not buying a house until things come back to reality. They always do.

Those things you mentioned make it a lot easier to attract talent. Makes it a lot more attractive when you don’t have to spend a couple grand in month in rent, as well.

@WaryWarren’s response would indicate to me that you do have to spend a couple grand per month in rent in TX.

It was like that in Edmond, Ok, last year and is like that here in Carmel, In area this year. Wife and I have resigned to not buying a house until things come back to reality. They always do.

If you live in Carmel, I can only imagine what housing prices are in that area, being by far the wealthiest community in Indiana. Even out here in the sticks, houses are selling like hotcakes at prices exceeding the asking.

Just got my 1st Pfizer shot, was a little dizzy for the first 1-2 minutes but feel fine now. I hate needles in general and get really light headed/dizzy whenever I get blood work I have to sit in that big blue chair and lay back. It's something genetic as my sister is the same way. Extremely smooth operation at University of Buffalo, thousands of people getting vaccinated over there each day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

If you live in Carmel, I can only imagine what housing prices are in that area, being by far the wealthiest community in Indiana. Even out here in the sticks, houses are selling like hotcakes at prices exceeding the asking.

It’s insane. Coming from Oklahoma, I haven’t got used to the type of house we could get for the price point. 

4 hours ago, TimB84 said:

Austin has become a tech meca and is fairly educated. Also theres major rumblings of large NYC Financial firms moving to Florida. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN28Y12T

25 minutes ago, CorePunch said:

Austin has become a tech meca and is fairly educated. Also theres major rumblings of large NYC Financial firms moving to Florida. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN28Y12T

Quick, what’s one of the biggest differences between Austin and most other parts of Texas?

Actually, let’s make that rhetorical. We’re way off topic and this is getting partisan and has little to do with covid.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

Quick, what’s one of the biggest differences between Austin and most other parts of Texas?

Actually, let’s make that rhetorical. We’re way off topic and this is getting partisan and has little to do with covid.

The number of homeless people living in the downtown area?

17 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

This thread is getting into shut it down territory.

Real estate banter is better than fighting about masks.  :lol:

On the subject of the virus, it sounds like extra personnel but not extra vaccines are going to be sent to Michigan.  Interesting decision.

16 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Real estate banter is better than fighting about masks.  :lol:

On the subject of the virus, it sounds like extra personnel but not extra vaccines are going to be sent to Michigan.  Interesting decision.

Surely that means they have some info that not all the vaccines they currently have are getting used? Seems strange.