• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

If my appeal to common sense and anecdotes didn't have any effect (seems like anecdotes are better than data on the internet)

How about you consider some evidence from observational studies. 

jld200077f1_1597432994.14169.thumb.png.196f03147022ddea46af001f70cbe67e.png

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2768533

How about the data in the non hospital setting?

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776536

It is admittedly hard to study this stuff because it's all observational which means there will always be significant confounding variables and messy data. But in this case common sense and the data are both lining up and showing the same thing.  Masks aren't a panacea but they are an effective tool in reducing transmission when worn properly and in the right circumstances where risk of spread is high. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

If my appeal to common sense and anecdotes didn't have any effect (seems like anecdotes are better than data on the internet)

How about you consider some evidence from observational studies. 

jld200077f1_1597432994.14169.thumb.png.196f03147022ddea46af001f70cbe67e.png

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2768533

How about the data in the non hospital setting?

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776536

It is admittedly hard to study this stuff because it's all observational which means there will always be significant confounding variables and messy data. But in this case common sense and the data are both lining up and showing the same thing.  Masks aren't a panacea but they are an effective tool in reducing transmission when worn properly and in the right circumstances where risk of spread is high. 

I cant wait til some real mask studies come out on their effectiveness. I personally think there's a lot of correlating factors more responsible for the declines but like many others have said, they are zero cost and even if they reduce transmission by 1% its probably worth it. 

41 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

I cant wait til some real mask studies come out on their effectiveness. I personally think there's a lot of correlating factors more responsible for the declines but like many others have said, they are zero cost and even if they reduce transmission by 1% its probably worth it. 

It's rough going from work all day with a mask to the gym and wearing one. I cannot wait for the day I can throw that thing away for good. After my gym session, its dripping in sweat. That can't be healthy. I also just got done being sick with the flu or some other type of virus for the last 2 weeks.

7 hours ago, Frog Town said:

Michigan schools being asked to go to remote for two weeks following spring break.  Being a teacher in the schools, it is worse now than any other part of this pandemic.  Good call from the inside.  

Weird, I was told that it wasn't the schools causing it. I guess internal numbers say otherwise.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It's rough going from work all day with a mask to the gym and wearing one. I cannot wait for the day I can throw that thing away for good. After my gym session, its dripping in sweat. That can't be healthy. I also just got done being sick with the flu or some other type of virus for the last 2 weeks.

I can't imagine having to wear a mask that's dripping with sweat. That sounds terrible. I'm glad that I run outside around the block where I don't have to wear a mask, rather than going to the gym. Really has to be rough for people that go to the gym.

My question, why can't you work out at home? I have to imagine you have a weight set at home and if you are running/calisthenics you can do this in your yard or at a local park. I just don't understand the need to physically be in a gym.

1 minute ago, Stebo said:

My question, why can't you work out at home? I have to imagine you have a weight set at home and if you are running/calisthenics you can do this in your yard or at a local park. I just don't understand the need to physically be in a gym.

Yeah personally gyms never appealed to me. Rather than spending the money for a gym I'd much rather do my workouts at home, whether it's running around the block outside or using the exercise bike that I have in my house.

12 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Gym equipment is expensive as hell. And, personally, there’s something mentally for me that changes at the gym vs being at home. Studies have shown gyms don’t contribute much to the spread.

Just now, schoeppeya said:

Gym equipment is expensive as hell. And, personally, there’s something mentally for me that changes at the gym vs being at home. Studies have shown gyms don’t contribute much to the spread.

What studies say that? Also that is a choice to go there, and most weight sets are reasonably priced especially if you buy used.

31 minutes ago, Stebo said:

This setup would cost me quite a bit during Covid. Weights are so overpriced right now. I would need like $10k for my gym. I worked out at home until Gyms open. I do a lot of outdoor running and sports but I love lifting weights. It’s my anxiety/stress cure. 

18 minutes ago, Stebo said:

What studies say that? Also that is a choice to go there, and most weight sets are reasonably priced especially if you buy used.

There doesn’t need to be a study. I’m sure there is one. But I don’t enjoy lifting at home like the gym. My entire social group was developed here. We all love health and pushing each other to be better. This place saved me from a pretty dark place in the past. 

• Like 4

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

There doesn’t need to be a study. I’m sure there is one. But I don’t enjoy lifting at home like the gym. My entire social group was developed here. We all love health and pushing each other to be better. This place saved me from a pretty dark place in the past. 

I understand that, and I am glad for that for you too.  It won't be much longer hopefully before things get closer to normal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I understand that, and I am glad for that for you too.  It won't be much longer hopefully before things get closer to normal.

https://www.ihrsa.org/about/media-center/press-releases/global-data-show-covid-19-transmission-in-gyms-is-rare/

The darkest part of Covid for me was the first month or so when gyms were completely shut down. It's been my primary coping mechanism in the four years since I have quit drinking. 

And just to be completely honest, even if I knew there was a high chance I would catch Covid there, I would still go. I am more scared of the health consequences (mental and physical both) from not having that release than I am of Covid.

• Like 1

Things are not so good in The Mitten....

I am currently in Northern MI and there is a serious lack of masking up here. We got thevaccine (JnJ) 13 days ago and we decided to quarantine at our place up north. I needed to run a couple errands before we head back home tomorrow. Guess I am not surprised by the increase based on the little care that I did see today.

Another article for fodder: https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/whitmer-pretty-please-go-back-into-your-old-quarantine-habits/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

https://www.ihrsa.org/about/media-center/press-releases/global-data-show-covid-19-transmission-in-gyms-is-rare/

The darkest part of Covid for me was the first month or so when gyms were completely shut down. It's been my primary coping mechanism in the four years since I have quit drinking. 

And just to be completely honest, even if I knew there was a high chance I would catch Covid there, I would still go. I am more scared of the health consequences (mental and physical both) from not having that release than I am of Covid.

From the multiple studies I've read, the gym is not a high risk location for spread IF they strictly adhere to distancing and masks mandates.  Otherwise, it's a free-for-all.

Well said. It pretty much summed up why working out at a gym is special. Its not just a gym, but a community of like minded people. That is why still gyms exist, even in the era of home gym programs and equipment. Masks have never been worn by the majority at my gym since day one of reopening.  Contracting C19 or the common flu is a risk you conjured up upon going. Many people have held off returning until just recently, and its only because of the jab. Things are quickly rolling along to sense of pre covid normalcy. Vaccination rates are increasing and people are more confident of continuing on with how life should be lived. Look no further than any gym parking lot across America, they are jam packed now. 

1 hour ago, mollydog said:

Things are not so good in The Mitten....

I am currently in Northern MI and there is a serious lack of masking up here. We got thevaccine (JnJ) 13 days ago and we decided to quarantine at our place up north. I needed to run a couple errands before we head back home tomorrow. Guess I am not surprised by the increase based on the little care that I did see today.

Another article for fodder: https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/whitmer-pretty-please-go-back-into-your-old-quarantine-habits/

Why did you quarantine after the vaccine? The jab doesn’t make you ‘infectious’. 

34 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

Posted one above 

Sorry, I missed it. Seems like the source is one that could have an agenda (though not necessarily), but it almost reads similarly to, say, if BP published findings that climate change isn’t occurring.

That said, yes, going to the gym vs. working out at home can be very beneficial to some people. But I would put gyms on the list of places where a vaccine passport would be acceptable to me. Then no one is saying people who want to go to the gym can’t go, they just need to get the vaccine first. It’s not hard.

15 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Sorry, I missed it. Seems like the source is one that could have an agenda (though not necessarily), but it almost reads similarly to, say, if BP published findings that climate change isn’t occurring.

That said, yes, going to the gym vs. working out at home can be very beneficial to some people. But I would put gyms on the list of places where a vaccine passport would be acceptable to me. Then no one is saying people who want to go to the gym can’t go, they just need to get the vaccine first. It’s not hard.

Eh to me it’s one of those things that people have been doing for almost a year now anyways, doesn’t make sense to require one now. 

And, from a business perspective, it would be a terrible decision. 

Why did you quarantine after the vaccine? The jab doesn’t make you ‘infectious’. 

We were notified of exposure one day after the vaccine...not enough time for full protection. Thankfully, all is well.

8 hours ago, schoeppeya said:

Eh to me it’s one of those things that people have been doing for almost a year now anyways, doesn’t make sense to require one now. 

And, from a business perspective, it would be a terrible decision. 

Would it? It would stand to reason that most people who go to the gym are health conscious and would be more likely than average to get vaccinated, so I don’t think they would lose a huge percentage of their customers.

2 hours ago, TimB84 said:

Would it? It would stand to reason that most people who go to the gym are health conscious and would be more likely than average to get vaccinated, so I don’t think they would lose a huge percentage of their customers.

I think there’s a lot of gym goers that would place themselves in the “healthy and don’t need a vaccine” category. No evidence to back any of this up so it’s just our opinions, really. But I wouldn’t be the business trying it in the gym industry. They charge monthly for memberships, so you’re talking about charging people for a service the gym then wouldn’t let them use.