Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

56 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

So you think you've seen it all during the pandemic?

Filipino man dies after being forced to perform hundreds of squats for breaking COVID-19 curfew near Manila

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2021/04/08/philippines-covid-curfew-man-dies-after-being-forced-do-300-squats/7137719002/

This worlds gone insane.

2 hours ago, outflow said:

Got my j and j vaccine this morning. About a hr ago I started to feel the standard achey and fatigue that seems to be associated with it. The nurse who did mine said they have dozen of open spots for the next two days with little interest it would seem for more to get the shot.

Rural parts of this state have tons of openings which is sad because those are the places that are the worst now and those are the places in the state where medical facilities are not readily available.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

So you think you've seen it all during the pandemic?

Filipino man dies after being forced to perform hundreds of squats for breaking COVID-19 curfew near Manila

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2021/04/08/philippines-covid-curfew-man-dies-after-being-forced-do-300-squats/7137719002/

Thats crazy 

7 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Are they though?  I bet they are no better than middle of the pack when looking at numbers per capita.  Florida has started to go back up after mid March.  Whether it is spring break or something else, who knows. 

Isn’t that the point though? If the more open states (Florida and Texas) are faring the same as the most locked down states (California and New York), doesn’t that make the case that states should be more open? 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, schoeppeya said:

Is there any argument not to surge vaccination supplies to hotspots? That seems like something that’s “common sense”. 

Not sure if there’s any argument against it, but does anything in this country, regardless of which party is in power, get done according to common sense?

• Like 1

Governor Whitmer MI (D) - She just had her press conference and ‘urged’ a pause on youth sports. Due to incredible social and political pressure, she is leaving it up to the people to enact mitigation. Its a refreshing approach. 

"To be very clear, these are not orders, mandates or requirements," Whitmer said of her requests to schools, athletes and restaurants. "A year in, we all know what works and this has to be a team effort. We have to do this together. Lives depend on it."

- Detroit News. 

Michigan has been throttling up the vaccination efforts too. Wont be long before hospitalizations trek down. State is moving along. Whitmer took a jab at the Biden Admin. She is pissed about the lack of available J&J doses that the Feds are sending. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

23 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

Michigan schools being asked to go to remote for two weeks following spring break.  Being a teacher in the schools, it is worse now than any other part of this pandemic.  Good call from the inside.  

High school students went back a few weeks ago here in NYC but most of the students didn't go back.

13 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Not sure if there’s any argument against it, but does anything in this country, regardless of which party is in power, get done according to common sense?

I was surprised their response was "we will consider it".

• Weenie 1

46 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Again, business owners should be allowed to make this decision on their own. Maybe the government shouldn’t mandate it (but I’m okay if they do), but the government also shouldn’t prevent individual business owners from making this choice. The Arizona one looks especially problematic in this respect. I won’t put another dime into any state’s economy that passes a bill that bars businesses from refusing service to the unvaccinated.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

I'm surprised that you're so in favor of this sort of government overreach. Sure the state government can stay out of requiring vaccine passports but why push their agenda on private businesses?

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Again, business owners should be allowed to make this decision on their own. Maybe the government shouldn’t mandate it (but I’m okay if they do), but the government also shouldn’t prevent individual business owners from making this choice. The Arizona one looks especially problematic in this respect. I won’t put another dime into any state’s economy that passes a bill that bars businesses from refusing service to the unvaccinated.

If you're severely immunocompromised and can't receive the vaccine, I guess find another business then?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

I'm surprised that you're so in favor of this sort of government overreach. Sure the state government can stay out of requiring vaccine passports but why push their agenda on private businesses?

Creating a segregated society is not how we move this country forward. 

As Gov Desantis said " “requiring vaccine passports for taking part in everyday life such as attending a sporting event, patronizing a restaurant or going to a movie theater would create two classes of citizens based on vaccination.”"

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 2

21 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Actually agree. Although, it is on my side of the bias so it bothers me a lot less than if they required a vaccine passport. 

4 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

As Gov Desantis said " “requiring vaccine passports for taking part in everyday life such as attending a sporting event, patronizing a restaurant or going to a movie theater would create two classes of citizens based on vaccination.”"

Comparing this to segregation is extremist. Period.

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

If you're severely immunocompromised and can't receive the vaccine, I guess find another business then?

That’s the beauty of our society. You can shop online, order curbside pickup, or go to one of a business’s many competitors.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Comparing this to segregation is extremist. Period.

You're aware that the term Segregation can refer to more than just race right?  

Segregation, separation of groups of people with differing characteristics, often taken to connote a condition of inequality. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Except for rare circumstances, anyone can choose to get vaccinated.  Comparing this to something like the ugly history of segregation which has been based on innate qualities most commonly race is a pretty terrible false equivalency. 

There was also no rational basis to segregate people based on things like race or gender in the past.  There is a very clearly rational basis to give vaccinated individuals different treatment compared to unvaccinated people given the current circumstances. 

If a business suffers because of giving preferential treatment to those vaccinated then the free market will sort things out,  isn't that what most conservatives preach?

Also in terms of moving the country forward,  we do so by crushing the pandemic, the best way to do that is by everyone that is able getting vaccinated. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

You're aware that the term Segregation can refer to more than just race right?  

Segregation, separation of groups of people with differing characteristics, often taken to connote a condition of inequality. 

“Unvaccinated” is not a characteristic. It’s a choice.

And I’ll double down on what I said last night after a few drinks, except now I’m completely sober: if Ron DeSantis helps guide your thinking on any topic, we are on two completely different wavelengths and it is impossible to find common ground.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

Except for rare circumstances, anyone can choose to get vaccinated.  Comparing this to something like the ugly history of segregation which has been based on innate qualities most commonly race is a pretty terrible false equivalency. 

There was also no rational basis to segregate people based on things like race or gender in the past.  There is a very clearly rational basis to give vaccinated individuals different treatment compared to unvaccinated people given the current circumstances. 

If a business suffers because of giving preferential treatment to those vaccinated then the free market will sort things out,  isn't that what most conservatives preach?

Also in terms of moving the country forward,  we do so by crushing the pandemic, the best way to do that is by everyone that is able getting vaccinated. 

I did not compare this to the history of segregation.  Everything is not about race.   If you don't like the term Segregation, let's replace it with something else.

Yes, let's get the most vulnerable vaccinated and move on. 

10 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

“Unvaccinated” is not a characteristic. It’s a choice.

And I’ll double down on what I said last night after a few drinks, except now I’m completely sober: if Ron DeSantis helps guide your thinking on any topic, we are on two completely different wavelengths and it is impossible to find common ground.

Honest question, is there any republican you wouldnt say that about?

12 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cub21ueWNvbnRlbnQuY29tL2QvcGxheWxpc3QvYWFlYTRlNjktYWY1MS00OTVlLWFmYzktYTk3NjAxNDY5MjJiL2IwMjQ3MzY3LTg4MmYtNDY3Yy05ODI2LWFjMTYwMTZmYTE1Yy85MTMyZmQ1YS04ZTZkLTQ0Y2ItYTliYS1hYzE2MDE2ZmExNWMvcG9kY2FzdC5yc3M/episode/ODNmMzBmNmItZmFlZS00N2QwLWFlOGItYWNmNzAxNDNmZjZi?ep=14

I listen to this the other night. Interesting arguments. Any sort of employer mandates are going to be challenging legally speaking before the fda grants full licensure. Seems like there's much more leeway and history with respect to international travel and immigration. There's already required vaccines for entering certain country and immigrating to certain countries.