Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

21 hours ago, CorePunch said:

Notable outbreaks in corrections facilities amd the state has mandated that all youth sports participants get bi weekly tests. Thats producing a lot of found cases. I suspect these numbers trend down in the next couple of weeks. One thing is for sure, this surge has really jumpstarted the vaccine push by people. Everyone wants the smoothie ASAP. 

Wonder how they are all getting it... oh right at school.

1 minute ago, schoeppeya said:

I added a video. You should watch it.

I think we’ll agree to disagree, but I still have faith that good teachers have found ways to curb it. Regardless, I’m only advocating for two more months of online schooling to get through this school year, and very little further damage can be done in two months.

• Like 1

Those arguing that schools should be open, remember this doesn't often show up in kids, so they are very much silent spreaders that bring it back home where the cases can then skyrocket. You can see evidence of this with the student athletes being tests and positive while not being symptomatic. If we tested all these kids at school you'd see staggering numbers guaranteed.

4 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Those arguing that schools should be open, remember this doesn't often show up in kids, so they are very much silent spreaders that bring it back home where the cases can then skyrocket. You can see evidence of this with the student athletes being tests and positive while not being symptomatic. If we tested all these kids at school you'd see staggering numbers guaranteed.

You are right that they can be more silent spreaders but this idea just isn't supported. 

Schools and SARS-CoV-2 transmission

Based on the data available, in-person learning in schools has not been associated with substantial community transmission. Although national COVID-19 case incidence rates among children and adolescents have risen over time, this trend parallels trends observed among adults.17 Increases in case incidence among school-aged children and school reopenings do not appear to pre-date increases in community transmission.17,32-34

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/transmission_k_12_schools.html

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

You are right that they can be more silent spreaders but this idea just isn't supported. 

Schools and SARS-CoV-2 transmission

Based on the data available, in-person learning in schools has not been associated with substantial community transmission. Although national COVID-19 case incidence rates among children and adolescents have risen over time, this trend parallels trends observed among adults.17 Increases in case incidence among school-aged children and school reopenings do not appear to pre-date increases in community transmission.17,32-34

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/transmission_k_12_schools.html

I don't know how we can know this definitively though if there is barely any testing for children, the data available is very limited because children aren't being tested as much as adults.

They should just stop the athletic activities for the rest of the school year, or at least most of them.  Even if student athletes are wearing masks, you're going to tend to breathe harder while you're playing, thus negating some of the benefits from the mask.  Also, think about what can happen in association with these activities.  If the whole team is going out to dinner or for ice cream, that is more potential exposure.

Just now, Hoosier said:

They should just stop the athletic activities for the rest of the school year, or at least most of them.  Even if student athletes are wearing masks, you're going to tend to breathe harder while you're playing, thus negating some of the benefits from the mask.  Also, think about what can happen in association with these activities.  If the whole team is going out to dinner or for ice cream, that is more potential exposure.

Absolutely, at the very least athletics need to be stopped.

Just now, Stebo said:

I don't know how we can know this definitively though if there is barely any testing for children, the data available is very limited because children aren't being tested as much as adults.

We dont know anything with this virus definitively. But I think the evidence doesnt point to schools being "virus reactors" that they are flu season. There's also plenty of evidence that kids are catching the infection outside of the immediate school environment. 

Just now, Stebo said:

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/12/kids-likely-not-driving-household-covid-19-outbreaks

https://www.google.com/amp/s/api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/science/article/we-now-know-how-much-children-spread-coronavirus

“almost all coronavirus transmission came from adults to children”

We dont know anything with this virus definitively. But I think the evidence doesnt point to schools being "virus reactors" that they are flu season. There's also plenty of evidence that kids are catching the infection outside of the immediate school environment. 

Logically that doesn't make sense though, the flu/cold spread like wild fire at schools, the ventilation of schools is shit at best much like churches or restaurants and you can't name a more packed place for people than a classroom of 30 people. The only reason we don't know is because of the testing especially now that higher contagious variants are showing up more, the positives from student athletes is an eye into that though.

• Like 2

2 articles from 5 months ago, maybe try something a bit more recent say... after all these schools reopened.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Stebo said:

Logically that doesn't make sense though, the flu/cold spread like wild fire at schools, the ventilation of schools is shit at best much like churches or restaurants and you can't name a more packed place for people than a classroom of 30 people. The only reason we don't know is because of the testing especially now that higher contagious variants are showing up more, the positives from student athletes is an eye into that though.

I think it does for a few reasons. Young children may actually be less susceptible to infection. They are also more likely to be asymptomatic than adults. They may just not be very effective as transmitters for this disease. I think initially the idea that schools would be a bigger problem with experiences with flu, which made sense, but this isn't exactly flu so it seems like things are a bit different. 

3 hours ago, Malacka11 said:

Imo easily the biggest issue with remote learning is that it prevents children from learning crucial social skills like they would in-class. Sure, the course material is important too, but I'd argue that learning to interact with other people in a group setting is easily the "real" bread and butter of public schools.

Yes, it changes the way you learn. For kids say under the age of 10 they are still learning how to learn.

• Like 2

I think it does for a few reasons. Young children may actually be less susceptible to infection. They are also more likely to be asymptomatic than adults. They may just not be very effective as transmitters for this disease. I think initially the idea that schools would be a bigger problem with experiences with flu, which made sense, but this isn't exactly flu so it seems like things are a bit different. 

See but again we don't know this and are assuming a lot because these kids who may be silent spreaders aren't being tested. Really the only cases you hear of kids being tested is after the parents get it or athletics. In this state they are blaming school athletics but don't want to blame the schools themselves, makes no sense at all.

10 minutes ago, Stebo said:

https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/children-and-covid-19-state-level-data-report/

kids make up 8-18% of total testing done across 11 states (including some big population ones). Definitely more than “barely any”. 

1 minute ago, Stebo said:

See but again we don't know this and are assuming a lot because these kids who may be silent spreaders aren't being tested. Really the only cases you hear of kids being tested is after the parents get it or athletics. In this state they are blaming school athletics but don't want to blame the schools themselves, makes no sense at all.

You want to end athletics even though that’s where they are actually getting tested? Again, actual evidence shows there’s plenty of testing done on kids.

https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/children-and-covid-19-state-level-data-report/

kids make up 8-18% of total testing done across 11 states (including some big population ones). Definitely more than “barely any”. 

Cool, they make up 24% of the population, thus much less testing per capita than adults/elderly.

8 minutes ago, Stebo said:

2 articles from 5 months ago, maybe try something a bit more recent say... after all these schools reopened.

The evidence is pretty strong from European schools too. Do you have any specific evidence that schools are driving community transmission? I feel like it's been established for some time that the outbreaks have started in the younger adult population and then spread into older age groups from there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OSUmetstud said:

The evidence is pretty strong from European schools too. Do you have any specific evidence that schools are driving community transmission? I feel like it's been established for some time that the outbreaks have started in the younger adult population and then spread into older age groups from there. 

Well this state is putting the onus on student athletics for one, but athletics isn't going to be the main spreader there aren't that many athletes and schooling opened back up at the beginning of March here for everyone in state. It is only logical that the schools would have causes the explosion as it was the variable that was most dramatically changed. I know other states have opened up as well but they were more paced, it was a band-aid being ripped off here and we were one of the most protective for the longest time thus it didn't naturally spread as much as it would have in other states.

If it is causing massive amounts of spreading, absolutely. Why on earth would you want to keep it going?

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/athlete-safety/study-high-school-sports-have-not-spread-covid-19.html

Ive seen the evidence where outbreaks are traced back to sporting events, but this is literally the only study I could find. It’s well proven that sunlight exposure kills covid fairly quickly, so I could see an issue with indoor sports (I saw hockey was one of the sports at issue) but am not sure outdoor sports should be discouraged with precautions.

But that doesn't mean they don't carry and spread it, which can then be spread at home to adults and voila, Michigan.

You said there was barely any testing for kids. My response was to show thats not true. 

Just now, schoeppeya said:

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/athlete-safety/study-high-school-sports-have-not-spread-covid-19.html

Ive seen the evidence where outbreaks are traced back to sporting events, but this is literally the only study I could find. It’s well proven that sunlight exposure kills covid fairly quickly, so I could see an issue with indoor sports (I saw hockey was one of the sports at issue) but am not sure outdoor sports should be discouraged with precautions.

You said there was barely any testing for kids. My response was to show thats not true. 

Based upon per capita, there is barely any testing compared to other age groups and I even specified that the testing that does happens, usually happens after parents get covid themselves.

13 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

You want to end athletics even though that’s where they are actually getting tested? Again, actual evidence shows there’s plenty of testing done on kids.

Athletics have been a nightmare for spread around here, in school stuff not so much. Will gladly sacrifice the sports season to keep schools open.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1