Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

7 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

One could also argue that remote learning has removed a lot of the stress of constantly having to get good grades, which has been beneficial to the mental health of many. 

Social aspect agreed.  Mental health seems to be an issue stemming from the lack of social interactions. 

http://dailyorange.com/2021/04/remote-learning-mental-health-local-students/

I think in-person school should be available if at all possible.  I feel like some areas have been dragging their feet too much with reopening for in-person learning.  Perhaps you cut out the sports/extracurricular activities for now.

CDC came out and said they believe the B.1.1.7 UK variant is now the dominant one in the US.  It appears to be more contagious in general, so kids may also be able to spread that one more.  Thankfully we are coming closer to the end of the school year, but we're still talking about a couple more months in many cases.

Just now, Hoosier said:

I think in-person school should be available if at all possible.  I feel like some areas have been dragging their feet too much with reopening for in-person learning.  Perhaps you cut out the sports/extracurricular activities for now.

CDC came out and said they believe the B.1.1.7 UK variant is now the dominant one in the US.  It appears to be more contagious in general, so kids may also be able to spread that one more.  Thankfully we are coming closer to the end of the school year, but we're still talking about a couple more months in many cases.

I would argue, and I think many educators would agree, that nothing substantial occurs between mid-April and the end of the school year.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I would argue that “people are going to cheat in school when learning remotely” is below at least 1,000 other issues to be worried about during the pandemic, maybe even 10,000.

You're missing the point. Cheating=not learning. I think "kids education is suffering from at home learning" is pretty high on that list. 

Just now, schoeppeya said:

You're missing the point. Cheating=not learning. I think "kids education is suffering from at home learning" is pretty high on that list. 

Failing also = not learning, and that’s what those kids would be doing if they didn’t have the opportunity to cheat (which they would, even in a school setting).

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

Failing also = not learning, and that’s what those kids would be doing if they didn’t have the opportunity to cheat (which they would, even in a school setting).

I think you have a serious disconnect between what you think goes on at school and at home vs what really happens at school and at home. And we are probably at the point where we will just have to agree to disagree on this. 

I think in high school it's whatever; kids are still developing, sure, but at least they're nearing maturity. But I think we really need to do whatever it takes to get our elementary schools back in full gear for at least two big reasons:

1. Those are the years where it is extremely important to develop healthy social habits and begin to build your ego, from a psychological sense

2. By getting young kids back in school, their parents are able to work or do whatever else it is they need. 

In general, elementary school is definitely where the biggest impact could be made. Not quite up-to-date with how much little kids can spread the disease or its variants, but we should -as a society- do whatever we can to get those kids back together. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, schoeppeya said:

I think you have a serious disconnect between what you think goes on at school and at home vs what really happens at school and at home. And we are probably at the point where we will just have to agree to disagree on this. 

I know what goes on at school and at home, kids find new and creative ways to cheat on a daily basis. It’s not going to change, regardless of setting.

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

I know what goes on at school and at home, kids find new and creative ways to cheat on a daily basis. It’s not going to change, regardless of setting.

If you are going at least not acknowledge that it is significantly harder to cheat in person than online or remote classes then you’re not having this conversation in good faith. 

ADDITIONALLY, online learning is SIGNIFICANTLY less difficult in my experience, both in the work itself and how that work is graded. 

22 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I would argue that if someone cheats to get a bachelor’s degree, it will ultimately either catch up to them when they fail professionally where cheating isn’t an option, and they’ll get what they deserved, or it won’t catch up to them and they’ll be successful in the adult world so their cheating in college would become irrelevant. But ultimately we’re talking about high school, where people have cheated since the beginning of time and there’s never been much if any student integrity, so little would change.

Fair point. I don't disagree in that people shouldn't cheat, but when push comes to shove I believe most just want to get that slip of paper and move on.

• Like 1

Remote learning takes the few things that students find fun about school, shits on them, and then keeps the "grinding" part. The assignments are more hollow, students are completely unmotivated to do them. Of course, I don't know exactly what it's like, but I imagine that it's basically impossible to actually get kids engaged if they don't want to be. Hell, I know if I had an 8:30 Zoom class I'd be attending that thing in my PJs every day. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

If you are going at least not acknowledge that it is significantly harder to cheat in person than online or remote classes then you’re not having this conversation in good faith. 

ADDITIONALLY, online learning is SIGNIFICANTLY less difficult in my experience, both in the work itself and how that work is graded. 

Of course it’s significantly harder to cheat in person than it is online. I’m just also of the belief that the kids who don’t want to learn won’t do it in any setting.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Of course it’s significantly harder to cheat in person than it is online. I’m just also of the belief that the kids who don’t want to learn won’t do it in any setting.

And I am of the belief that remote learning takes that small percentage of kids who don't want to learn anything and turns it into a big percentage. The fear of not doing well in school keeps a lot of kids engaged-take that away and there's no reason to stay engaged. 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

It's sad in a way that we need to motivate kids through fear of not doing well in school in order to do their school work. But this is the Covid thread, not the local school board site so I'll shhh

Not doing well in school has real life consequences. Kids should know that, and that it’s important to care of about your future. 

• Weenie 1

48 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

And I am of the belief that remote learning takes that small percentage of kids who don't want to learn anything and turns it into a big percentage. The fear of not doing well in school keeps a lot of kids engaged-take that away and there's no reason to stay engaged. 

I just don’t find it likely that when kids are learning remotely, most of them develop the mentality of juvenile delinquents who don’t care about cheating or its consequences because they don’t have a teacher watching over their shoulder at all times.

And what your argument seems to boil down to is every kid is a juvenile delinquent at heart, they just need the right circumstances to bring it to the surface. Sorry, I just can’t bring myself to believe that all kids are sociopaths given the right conditions.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I just don’t find it likely that when kids are learning remotely, most of them develop the mentality of juvenile delinquents who don’t care about cheating or its consequences because they don’t have a teacher watching over their shoulder at all times.

And what your argument seems to boil down to is every kid is a juvenile delinquent at heart, they just need the right circumstances to bring it to the surface. Sorry, I just can’t bring myself to believe that all kids are sociopaths given the right conditions.

Good lord dude googling answers to an assignment doesn’t make you a juvenile delinquent, it makes you a kid who’d rather be playing Xbox  than doing homework 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

Good lord dude googling answers to an assignment doesn’t make you a juvenile delinquent, it makes you a kid who’d rather be playing Xbox  than doing homework 

Okay, that was a little extreme language on my part. But you have implied that 1) the vast majority of kids would cheat if they didn’t think anyone was watching, and 2) most kids have little to no intrinsic motivation to succeed, and what little motivation they do have is guided by fear.

• Like 1

I don't know about anyone else but my social media has had a noticeable increase in people getting their vaccines over the past week. The vaccination trends for the next few weeks will be pretty telling in terms of how much vaccine hesitancy is going to be an issue.  If we continue to see 7 day averages pushing over 3 million shots a day or higher then we're going to have no problems with having enough people vaccinated or immune from infection to reach herd immunity levels. If it levels off or starts going down I'll be concerned. 

In addition,  I am feeling confident that nationwide we are probably approaching a peak in the current plateau in cases and that the rate of rise in Michigan is slowing down and will hopefully start to turn in the other direction in the next week or two.  I attribute these changes to the states reachng a critical mass of 30-40% immunized which is enough to cause cases to decline given the current precautions people are still doing. Just my view after looking at the data and trends, I could definitely be wrong. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

I don't know about anyone else but my social media has had a noticeable increase in people getting their vaccines over the past week. The vaccination trends for the next few weeks will be pretty telling in terms of how much vaccine hesitancy is going to be an issue.  If we continue to see 7 day averages pushing over 3 million shots a day or higher then we're going to have no problems with having enough people vaccinated or immune from infection to hand herd immunity.  If it levels off or starts going down I'll be concerned. 

In addition,  I am feeling confident that nationwide we are probably approaching a peak in the current plateau in cases and that the rate of rise in Michigan is slowing down and will hopefully start to turn in the other direction in the next week or two.  I attribute these changes to the states raging a critical mass of 30-40% immunized which is enough to cause cases to decline given the current precautions people are still doing. Just my view after looking at the data and trends, I could definitely be wrong. 

I would feel much better if the world wasn't so lit up right now with this pandemic. It is going to require a global effort to truly get out of this fully 

20210408_184238.jpg

39 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Okay, that was a little extreme language on my part. But you have implied that 1) the vast majority of kids would cheat if they didn’t think anyone was watching, and 2) most kids have little to no intrinsic motivation to succeed, and what little motivation they do have is guided by fear.

My wife’s brother is 14. His mom has caught him multiple times getting homework from the internet or from friends who got it off the internet. His excuse? That’s what all his friends are doing. They think remote learning is a joke. He goes to an otherwise very rigorous private school that at one point required an hour or two of homework every night. I don’t why it is that way or what it says about society, but it is happening and I’m not just pulling that out of my ass. Motivation to succeed/fear of failure are two sides of the same coin in my opinion. 

• Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

My wife’s brother is 14. His mom has caught him multiple times getting homework from the internet or from friends who got it off the internet. His excuse? That’s what all his friends are doing. They think remote learning is a joke. He goes to an otherwise very rigorous private school that at one point required an hour or two of homework every night. I don’t why it is that way or what it says about society, but it is happening and I’m not just pulling that out of my ass. Motivation to succeed/fear of failure are two sides of the same coin in my opinion. 

Can we really say that’s “the way society is” because one kid (and maybe his friends, if he wasn’t just throwing them under the bus to lessen the amount of trouble he got into) did it?

33 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

I don't know about anyone else but my social media has had a noticeable increase in people getting their vaccines over the past week. The vaccination trends for the next few weeks will be pretty telling in terms of how much vaccine hesitancy is going to be an issue.  If we continue to see 7 day averages pushing over 3 million shots a day or higher then we're going to have no problems with having enough people vaccinated or immune from infection to reach herd immunity levels. If it levels off or starts going down I'll be concerned. 

In addition,  I am feeling confident that nationwide we are probably approaching a peak in the current plateau in cases and that the rate of rise in Michigan is slowing down and will hopefully start to turn in the other direction in the next week or two.  I attribute these changes to the states reachng a critical mass of 30-40% immunized which is enough to cause cases to decline given the current precautions people are still doing. Just my view after looking at the data and trends, I could definitely be wrong. 

I've been watching the numbers for the 60s and older group.  I believe they are nearly 75% vaccinated.  They have had access the longest and it would be good if the percentage in that group can ultimately exceed 80%.  I wouldn't expect the percentages in the younger adult age groups to be on quite the same level as the older age groups, so perhaps it will ultimately settle out with something like 70% of adults vaccinated as polls have suggested.  We can hope anyway.

12 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Can we really say that’s “the way society is” because one kid (and maybe his friends, if he wasn’t just throwing them under the bus to lessen the amount of trouble he got into) did it?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/elearningindustry.com/how-remote-learning-causing-uptick-in-online-cheating/amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.teenvogue.com/story/cheating-remote-learning-chegg-slader/amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/cheating-in-online-school-some-students-and-parents-say-its-ok-11608645609

I can keep going. The video nails it.

This is a great story about oneof the scientists that was instrumental in the development of the Pfizer BioNTech vaccine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/08/health/coronavirus-mrna-kariko.html#click=https://t.co/N6BYZGqyD0

For all the kids cheating their way through school, hopefully there are a handful like Dr. Kariko that fall in love with learning and discovery.