Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

43 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

You disagree with the WHO statement that you shouldn't wear a mask while doing physical activities?

It's not a question of whether I agree or disagree,  if he wants to do these activities,  those are the current requirements. 

My observation had been that even though I'm in hawaii where it is always humid and rarely gets below 70, the mask does not get significantly affected by sweat or ruined by use in those activities. 

The WHO is probably overstating the risk of masks during normal levels of physical exertion. 

The only masks that have had a noticeable affect on my breathing are when I've had to wear a medical grade n95 to see patients with covid.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, schoeppeya said:

Random side discussion-any of you guys (or gals) have kids that play sports wearing masks?

My kids play indoor volleyball and over the winter my son played indoor soccer. IL required they wear masks. Now my son has moved to his outdoor club soccer season. They still have to wear masks.

Many of us will probably have some immediate or extended family members who don't get the vaccine.  So I was thinking up a scenario...

Let's say one of your unvaccinated family members was recently diagnosed with covid.  That person lives with people who are also unvaccinated, but they don't have symptoms.  There's a big family get together planned in a couple days and those unvaccinated family members insist on attending since they don't feel sick.  You know the gathering will be held indoors (maybe it is raining or whatever) with nobody wearing a mask.  You have been vaccinated, so you're reasonably protected.  Do you attend that gathering?

Personally, I still don't think I'd feel comfortable.  Let's use Pfizer and Moderna as examples.  They are both around 95% effective at preventing illness.  But from a layman's perspective, if you're in that particular situation, it seems to me like you may be protected at something less than 95%.  Even after getting the vaccine, I'm not going to just say screw it entirely and put myself in a situation where I know for certain that people were exposed.  One of the things I still want to know is if the vaccines prevent long hauler covid.  There have been some reports of long hauler covid going away in people after they got the vaccine, but it needs more research, and that is a little bit different than saying that the vaccine prevents long hauler covid in the breakthrough cases.  If a vaccinated person is still able to have a breakthrough covid infection, then I think it remains to be seen whether the vaccine would prevent long hauler covid in those people.  Going to take time to compile enough data on those breakthrough cases.

2 hours ago, dta1984 said:

Here I'll spoon feed some more

20210405_081814.jpg

This says nothing about dirty masks and this isn't a link either. Mind you I am on the side of knowing reusing masks isn't the best but there is no provable link that it increases the spread of covid. It may be gross but we are looking at one specific thing that you have no evidence of.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Many of us will probably have some immediate or extended family members who don't get the vaccine.  So I was thinking up a scenario...

Let's say one of your unvaccinated family members was recently diagnosed with covid.  That person lives with people who are also unvaccinated, but they don't have symptoms.  There's a big family get together planned in a couple days and those unvaccinated family members insist on attending since they don't feel sick.  You know the gathering will be held indoors (maybe it is raining or whatever) with nobody wearing a mask.  You have been vaccinated, so you're reasonably protected.  Do you attend that gathering?

Personally, I still don't think I'd feel comfortable.  Let's use Pfizer and Moderna as examples.  They are both around 95% effective at preventing illness.  But from a layman's perspective, if you're in that particular situation, it seems to me like you may be protected at something less than 95%.  Even after getting the vaccine, I'm not going to just say screw it entirely and put myself in a situation where I know for certain that people were exposed.  One of the things I still want to know is if the vaccines prevent long hauler covid.  There have been some reports of long hauler covid going away in people after they got the vaccine, but it needs more research, and that is a little bit different than saying that the vaccine prevents long hauler covid in the breakthrough cases.  If a vaccinated person is still able to have a breakthrough covid infection, then I think it remains to be seen whether the vaccine would prevent long hauler covid in those people.  Going to take time to compile enough data on those breakthrough cases.

If they were diagnosed and still come they are ****ing idiots. There is no scenario where they should be coming risking those who are or aren't vaccinated.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

I'm talking about the other people (who aren't showing symptoms) who live with the sick person.  They still want to attend.  Do you risk it in that case?  Personally, I don't.

I also don’t. Fortunately I don’t associate with those parts of my extended family often if ever.

4 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Young people need to get the vaccine asap.

What was I saying the other day about this turning into something like SARS?

Edit: not saying it will. But things like this at least raise the possibility that it could.

23 minutes ago, Stebo said:

This says nothing about dirty masks and this isn't a link either. Mind you I am on the side of knowing reusing masks isn't the best but there is no provable link that it increases the spread of covid. It may be gross but we are looking at one specific thing that you have no evidence of.

There is a link, just got to read...

Sure, sweat = dirty.  No shit, who said it increases the spread of covid?  If you follow along, this has been about a dirty mask causing bacteria, and "possible" infections. 

22 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

Obviously dirty masks can cause acne and shit, but you could probably drag your mask through a sewer and it still wouldn't give you a respiratory illness

Um ok, not sure who made a claim that a mask would give you a respiratory illnesses. 

13 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

There is a link, just got to read...

Sure, sweat = dirty.  No shit, who said it increases the spread of covid?  If you follow along, this has been about a dirty mask causing bacteria, and "possible" infections. 

This is a covid thread, thats all I care about spreading and there is no link to dirty masks spreading covid. No matter how condescending you want to be, you are not proving any point here.

2 minutes ago, Stebo said:

This is a covid thread, thats all I care about spreading and there is no link to dirty masks spreading covid. No matter how condescending you want to be, you are not proving any point here.

It's a dumb topic really.  Started because malackala made a baseless claim.  There are more important things to discuss. 

Just now, Stebo said:

Yeah slink back into your hole, your tangential nonsense isn't going to play.

You know, there are alot of people in this thread that I disagree with.  The difference between them and you is they provide data , and links to help educate others.  You just spew dribble at everyone you don't agree with.  

6 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

You know, there are alot of people in this thread that I disagree with.  The difference between them and you is they provide data , and links to help educate others.  You just spew dribble at everyone you don't agree with.  

Im asking you to prove that there is a link to covid, this thread topic. I dont care if it gives you acne or any other thing. I care only about spreading covid. You had no proof.

8 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Im asking you to prove that there is a link to covid, this thread topic. I dont care if it gives you acne or any other thing. I care only about spreading covid. You had no proof.

There is no link, never said there was.  

The relevant topic (see above) is  playing sports with masks vs what the WHO recommends. 

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

What was I saying the other day about this turning into something like SARS?

Edit: not saying it will. But things like this at least raise the possibility that it could.

Were there ever any explanations for why places where cases numbers exploded the fatality rate exploded as well (Italy/NYC last spring)? Was it just the overall decrease in effective health care?

1 minute ago, schoeppeya said:

Were there ever any explanations for why places where cases numbers exploded the fatality rate exploded as well (Italy/NYC last spring)? Was it just the overall decrease in effective health care?

I honestly can’t remember. I think it’s probably a combination of that and the virus was still very new so we couldn’t treat it as effectively as we can now. Also testing (at least here, not sure about Italy) was abysmal, so the denominator of that fraction was probably much higher than on paper.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I honestly can’t remember. I think it’s probably a combination of that and the virus was still very new so we couldn’t treat it as effectively as we can now. Also testing (at least here, not sure about Italy) was abysmal, so the denominator of that fraction was probably much higher than on paper.

Gotcha. Not denying the possibility of a deadlier variation of the virus, but wonder if that could be  contributing to what we are seeing in Brazil. It’s definitely gotten out of control one way or another. 

edit:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7291160/ 
quick search turned this up. Underestimation of cases is what they attribute it to.