Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

6 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Bacteria cause infections. A person wearing a dirty mask can cause an infection. The mask itself can’t.

Ok we will leave it at this then.  The mask contributes. 

"This infection cannot solely be caused by wearing a mask, but the conditions a mask provides is perfect for the infection to grow. "

Edit..this refers to wearing a dirty mask....

https://cw.ua.edu/65524/top-stories/full-time-mask-wearing-brings-its-own-set-of-problems/

4 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Like I said, I’ve come to agree to disagree with you. The difference between you and dta is you’re arguing in good faith.

DTA is much more vaccine hesitant than me. I have zero concerns getting the vaccine. I hope everyone that wants it and needs it gets it. I just understand his point of view and dont think everyone needs to have the vaccine for us to get back to normal. 

3 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Didn't say you, said some of you. 

What agenda do “some of us” have? Are people going to think we’re cool? Are we going to get laid tonight? Are we going to get a raise? All because we posted some extremist pro-mask, pro-vax stuff on a weather forum?! Inquiring minds want to know!

Edit: in a coronavirus thread on a weather forum.

Just now, TimB84 said:

What agenda do “some of us” have? Are people going to think we’re cool? Are we going to get laid tonight? Are we going to get a raise? All because we posted some extremist pro-mask, pro-vax stuff on a weather forum?! Inquiring minds want to know!

All things at the top of my agenda

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

You have issues man.   You know damn well there's people with personal insults in this thread.  That's not how things get done.

44 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Is there much information yet on the vaccines ability to protect from P1 variant? This seems to be the most aggressive variant yet in terms of death and younger people being very ill.

image.thumb.png.83325e23c6f0e8b4487f4dbe49c27e74.png

New data came out since this and Pfizer is 91% vs South African. Moderna is likely same efficacy vs P1 as Pfizer or pretty close.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Yes it will be , he called me out without checking his facts.   It's well documented about masks and infections.  We are not arguing over opinions.  

You are claiming that there is a well documented link between masks and causing/increasing infections as if it is common sense then refusing to provide evidence of the claim is pretty telling. 

It's just like yesterday when the claim was made that Florida fudged their covid data while simultaneously refusing to put forward any evidence to support the position.

You have frequently called people out for using this sort of tactic. I think it's pretty obvious that any "evidence " you could come up with to suggest that masks cause infections would either be extremely low quality evidence e.g. anecdotes or some forum of anti mask conspiracy nonsense.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

1 minute ago, mattb65 said:

You are claiming that there is a well documented link between masks and causing/increasing infections as if it is common sense then refusing to provide evidence of the claim is pretty telling. 

It's just like yesterday when the claim was made that Florida fudged their covid data while simultaneously refusing to put forward any evidence to support the position.

You have frequently called people out for using this sort of tactic. I think it's pretty obvious that any "evidence " you could come up with to suggest that masks cause infections would either be extremely low quality evidence e.g. anecdotes or some forum of anti mask conspiracy nonsense.

I posted an article.  If you disagree with it fine, but don't say I don't have evidence. 

22 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

I posted an article.  If you disagree with it fine, but don't say I don't have evidence. 

The article you posted did not say that wearing a mask increases the risk of infection, it claimed.  

1. Masks can cause acne "mascne" especially if you use fabric softener. 

2. Mask wearing may promote mouth breathing which may lead to dry mouth, bad breath and tooth decay (this all seems like a stretch to me)

3. If people fail to wash their hands after frequently adjusting their masks, maybe they could increase their infection risk.  So the article recommends using the elastics to remove the mask. 

So no, the article you posted did not provide evidence to support your position. 

1 hour ago, mattb65 said:

The article you posted did not say that starting a mask increases the risk of infection, it claimed.  

2. Mask wearing may promote mouth breathing which may lead to dry mouth, bad breath and tooth decay (this all seems like a stretch to me)

3. If people fail to wash their hands after frequently adjusting their masks, maybe they could increase their infection risk.  So the article recommends using the elastics to remove the mask. 

So no, the article you posted did not provide evidence to support your position. 

This argument is over a "dirty mask".  The WHO posted it as well.  

5 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

The article you posted did not say that starting a mask increases the risk of infection, it claimed.  

So let's say the article is wrong.  Are you saying it's ok to wear a dirty mask then?  Of course not, what are we arguing over?

6 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

Random side discussion-any of you guys (or gals) have kids that play sports wearing masks?

No kids here, but I’m very much against kids playing sports wearing masks. If it’s so much of a risk that they have to wear a mask on the field/court, maybe the thought process should be more along the lines of whether or not sports should be played at all.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

So let's say the article is wrong.  Are you saying it's ok to wear a dirty mask then?  Of course not, what are we arguing over?

At least in the last few pages you only wrote about contaminated masks so I'll give you that,  obviously anyone wearing a contaminated or visibly dirty mask probably has more things than covid to worry about. 

Most of the anti mask crazies (not you) wildly exaggerate the risk of causing bacterial  pneumonia or other infections or blocking air flow or other similar misinformation.  The gist of the conversation seemed to be drifting towards that anti mask nonsense but I want to be fair that you aren't making those claims. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

At least in the last few pages you only wrote about contaminated masks so I'll give you that,  obviously anyone wearing a contaminated or visibly dirty mask probably has more things than covid to worry about. 

Most of the anti mask crazies (not you) wildly exaggerate the risk of causing bacterial  pneumonia or other infections or blocking air flow or other similar misinformation.  The gist of the conversation seemed to be drifting towards that anti mask nonsense but I want to be fair that you aren't making those claims. 

I've never said otherwise.   Thanks 

2 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

No kids here, but I’m very much against kids playing sports wearing masks. If it’s so much of a risk that they have to wear a mask on the field/court, maybe the thought process should be more along the lines of whether or not sports should be played at all.

Agree 100% with you here. Just curious because I have a coworker whose kids play their rec league basketball in masks... would rather them just not play myself.

13 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

Agree 100% with you here. Just curious because I have a coworker whose kids play their rec league basketball in masks... would rather them just not play myself.

My 1st grade aged son has been going to in person school all year and wears a mask the whole day except for lunch including during PE. I wouldn't have a problem with him doing sports even if they required masks.

He has adapted to wearing it no problem and the school as a whole has successfully navigated >3/4th of the school year without any infections. 

He's done cub scouts and has needed to wear masks on a hike and during recreational activity like biking during scouts.  We've had him doing swim lessons without any masks for obvious reasons. Staying physically and socially active even with the potential covid risks and even with having to wear masks when doing those activities provides way more benefits to his well being than not doing them in my opinion.

Generally speaking,  hawaii has had a much lower level of covid than almost anywhere in the US, if it was more widespread I might have needed to adjust the activities somewhat. 

Just now, mattb65 said:

My 1st grade aged son has been going to in person school all year and wears a mask the whole day except for lunch including during PE. I wouldn't have a problem with him doing sports even if they required masks.

He has adapted to wearing it no problem and the school as a whole has successfully navigated >3/4th of the school year without any infections. 

He's done cub scouts and has needed to wear masks on a hike and during recreational activity like biking during scouts.  We've had him doing swim lessons without any masks for obvious reasons. Staying physically and socially active even with the potential covid risks and even with having to wear masks when doing those activities provides way more benefits to his well being than not doing them in my opinion.

Generally speaking,  hawaii has had a much lower level of covid than almost anywhere in the US, if it was more widespread I might have needed to adjust the activities somewhat. 

You disagree with the WHO statement that you shouldn't wear a mask while doing physical activities?