• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Look. Again, this isn't even directed against you. Although I don't agree with everything you say, you engage in civil discourse better than I have, and I respect that. But some of the goobers in here are really just frightening, like dta who has verbatim said that masks lead to *more* infections (and I don't think it was sarcasm).

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I agree with that. Allocating vaccine shouldn’t be based on red state/blue state politics, it should be based on who needs it the most. But there is a narrative among people of certain political persuasions that  states with more lax restrictions are handling the pandemic better and fewer people in those states are getting sick, which is indisputably false. The virus is equal opportunity when it comes to infecting people.

I don't think the argument is "better" as much as "as well" as states with stricter restrictions. 

44 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

Look. Again, this isn't even directed against you. Although I don't agree with everything you say, you engage in civil discourse better than I have, and I respect that. But some of the goobers in here are really just frightening, like dta who has verbatim said that masks lead to *more* infections (and I don't think it was sarcasm).

Was this a recent statement?  I did just relay what the WHO says about exercising and microorganisms.   In addition, wearing a used mask filled with bacteria isn't good either. 

I'll own it if I said it somewhere, but you've already tried coming at me about this. 

https://cw.ua.edu/65524/top-stories/full-time-mask-wearing-brings-its-own-set-of-problems/

• Weenie 1

48 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

I don't get the mask thing and never will, but some people really, really hate them. My mom included (and I think @BuffaloWeather said he did too a couple pages back). EVEN IN the scenario they didn't help physically to stop the spread, I think they mentally help reassure people and that means a lot. And there's really no cost to wearing them. But, there isn't a whole lot of "anti-mask" rhetoric in this thread. @dta1984 has said a couple times he still wears one everywhere he goes. 

As far as the rest of the scary language... I think people just have to understand that people saying the government should be forcing people to get the vaccine at this point is equally scary to some people. And that's not even political (for me at least). Just for a little color on that-there are things that I LOVE in life that the future of depends on effective communication, rational thought, and science based arguments, because I am in the overwhelming minority of people who participate in those activities. The way you guys talk about some of this stuff using emotional rationalization scares me in the exact same way the anti mask or anti vaccine rhetoric scares you guys, because to me, it sets a precedent that I see as a pathway that could bring an end to my way of life. But, we have to find ways to talk about this stuff where we promote mutual respect and understanding instead of scaring each other when we disagree on something. 

I may have missed this being posted, but good news.  Perhaps the smallest study I have seen yet though, lol.

Moderna COVID vaccine offers protection for at least 6 months, study finds

by Ernie Mundell Healthday Reporter

(HealthDay)—There's good news for the millions of Americans who've already received a dose or two of Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine: New research shows the vaccine should protect against illness for at least six months.

The new study tracked 33 participants in the trials that led to the vaccine's approval. Six months after having received their second vaccine dose, "antibody activity remained high in all age groups," according to a team led by Nicole Doria-Rose of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID).

Her group published their findings April 6 in the New England Journal of Medicine.

The reassuring results follow on similar findings for the other major two-dose vaccine included in the U.S. vaccine rollout, made by Pfizer/BioNTech. Trial results released April 1 by the companies found that their vaccine remains more than 91% effective six months after people get their second dose.

The new results from Moderna are based on 33 people ranging in age from 18 to older than 71. The study found that while everyone maintained high levels of infection-fighting immune system antibodies in blood samples, levels did seem to fall according to the increasing age of participants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

More great evidence that vaccines are our main way out of this. 
There should be no debate anymore as to the efficacy of the vaccines. I'm not gonna jump in on the shaming of those who insist on waiting longer to get the shots, but at this point it's unfortunate there's still so much skepticism.

The vaccines are our ticket back to normalcy. Hundreds of millions have gotten the shots and they've overwhelmingly been safe. What's really the benefit of waiting longer when they're being made available to all adults this month? If you're saying you plan to get the vaccine at some point anyway, why not now?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OSUmetstud said:

This does not shock me at all. The amount of northern plates I've seen the last few weeks, especially on I-95 is noticeable. Lets be honest, this is a great time of year to vacation in the South and people with the means to in the North are taking full advantage. Wouldn't shock me at all to see surges in Virginia and Illinois as well shortly, seeing a lot of people from there lately as well. A pale family wearing all Cubs hats is a dead giveaway :lol:

3 hours ago, schoeppeya said:

I don't get the mask thing and never will, but some people really, really hate them. My mom included (and I think @BuffaloWeather said he did too a couple pages back). EVEN IN the scenario they didn't help physically to stop the spread, I think they mentally help reassure people and that means a lot. And there's really no cost to wearing them. But, there isn't a whole lot of "anti-mask" rhetoric in this thread. @dta1984 has said a couple times he still wears one everywhere he goes. 

As far as the rest of the scary language... I think people just have to understand that people saying the government should be forcing people to get the vaccine at this point is equally scary to some people. And that's not even political (for me at least). Just for a little color on that-there are things that I LOVE in life that the future of depends on effective communication, rational thought, and science based arguments, because I am in the overwhelming minority of people who participate in those activities. The way you guys talk about some of this stuff using emotional rationalization scares me in the exact same way the anti mask or anti vaccine rhetoric scares you guys, because to me, it sets a precedent that I see as a pathway that could bring an end to my way of life. But, we have to find ways to talk about this stuff where we promote mutual respect and understanding instead of scaring each other when we disagree on something. 

Weird, I thought I "verbatim" said masks cause infection.  Which is interesting because dirty ones in fact do in some situations.  

1 minute ago, dta1984 said:

Weird, I thought I "verbatim" said masks cause infection.  Which is interesting because they in fact do in some situations.  

They don’t in some situations. People who don’t know you’re supposed to wash them, despite this not being a new concept, cause their own infections.

2 hours ago, TimB84 said:

They don’t in some situations. People who don’t know you’re supposed to wash them, despite this not being a new concept, cause their own infections.

Stop it, I am not going to spoon feed you articles that show dirty masks can cause infection.  Is it rare?  Yes, but captain know it all @Malacka11 acted like the statement was totally false.   

3 hours ago, OSUmetstud said:

Excellent idea, especially if it can be done without affecting supply too much in other states.  We are getting close to the point where everybody 16+ will be eligible in every state (I think it is April 19?) and it would be a bit of a PR problem to then say oops, sorry, you're not going to be eligible yet.

32 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Stop it, I am not going to spoon feed you articles that show the masks can cause infection.  Is it rare?  Yes, but captain know it all @Malacka11 acted like the statement was totally false.   

“Captain know it all.” It’s going to be another day of mud slinging, I see. Can you simultaneously say masks cause infection but guns don’t kill people?

29 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Yes, it's on the person to know the information regarding washing and changing them out. You may be giving too much credit to people who have never worn a mask before and don't know that. 

Never worn a mask before? Have they been in a cave since last March?

46 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

“Captain know it all.” It’s going to be another day of mud slinging, I see. Can you simultaneously say masks cause infection but guns don’t kill people?

Yes it will be , he called me out without checking his facts.   It's well documented about "dirty" masks and infections.  We are not arguing over opinions.  

1 minute ago, dta1984 said:

Yes it will be , he called me out without checking his facts.   It's well documented about masks and infections.  We are not arguing over opinions.  

You didn’t answer the question, I compared it to something else that is very well documented but I’ll bet your opinion differs on that one.

3 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

This is a thread is for coronavirus but thanks. 

But if your opinion is “guns don’t kill people,” the only logical conclusion is “masks don’t make you sick.” And vice versa. My opinion is masks don’t make you sick, so I can only logically say guns don’t kill people.

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

But if your opinion is “guns don’t kill people,” the only logical conclusion is “masks don’t make you sick.”

I never said my opinion on that, quit putting words in my mouth.  A dirty mask can cause infection is what I said.  

Just now, dta1984 said:

I never said my opinion on that, quit putting words in my mouth.  A dirty mask can cause infection is what I said.  

Bacteria cause infections. A person wearing a dirty mask can cause an infection. The mask itself can’t.