Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

22 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

In all my life I never thought little ole Pioneer, OH would be in a discussion on here haha used to kayak all the time on Bird Lake just north of there.

This isn’t that complicated folks, get your vaccine and live life without fear

Yes, I want this done and over with so I don't have to keep worrying about catching it at work with the thousands of people who come through my terminal.

• Like 2

Yes, I want this done and over with so I don't have to keep worrying about catching it at work with the thousands of people who come through my terminal.

Bingo. I actually have to fly into Detroit here in a month for work. Looks like the days of my rear end sitting behind a computer only are coming to an end

You should check the CVS site regularly, it’s how I got mine so quickly

1 hour ago, schoeppeya said:

Maybe produce the same symptoms, but it won’t spread the same. The county next to my parents and the one they live in has had under 100 cases a day for close to two months now despite having a population of over half a million people. You think they should be legislated the same way as LA?

Williams County OH and LA County have nearly the same population fatality rate...slightly over .2%. They probably have different values but over time the basic viral dynamics are the same. 

2 hours ago, schoeppeya said:

Wtf are you talking about 

The point is we all have options.  Instead of crying about something so trivial as wearing a mask because it is ‘required,’ no one is aging anyone has to go anywhere that is requiring such.  Same as the vaccine ‘passport’ - don’t want to ‘deal’ with it, don’t go to a show.  

Just so sick of people not willing to follow simple rules that science has proven to be effective. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, schoeppeya said:

Maybe produce the same symptoms, but it won’t spread the same. The county next to my parents and the one they live in has had under 100 cases a day for close to two months now despite having a population of over half a million people. You think they should be legislated the same way as LA?

Yes. I think people in LA probably take more precautions than people in the county where your parents live and I’m glad they’ve been lucky not to have an outbreak so far in their area but it’s just as likely there and would be just as devastating proportionally as in LA.

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

Yes. I think people in LA probably take more precautions than people in the county where your parents live and I’m glad they’ve been lucky not to have an outbreak so far in their area but it’s just as likely there and would be just as devastating proportionally as in LA.

Agree to disagree then! 

2 hours ago, OSUmetstud said:

Williams County OH and LA County have nearly the same population fatality rate...slightly over .2%. They probably have different values but over time the basic viral dynamics are the same. 

I can’t check right now but I would be willing to bet the timeline dynamics are very different 

Alabama fan who attended NCAA Tournament in Indianapolis dies after returning home

INDIANAPOLIS — Health officials in Indiana are investigating whether anyone was exposed to COVID-19 by Alabama residents following the death of a Crimson Tide fan who was in Indianapolis for the NCAA Tournament last weekend.

Luke Ratliff, a 23-year-old Alabama student, died after a brief illness, his father, Bryan Ratliff, told The Tuscaloosa News. The newspaper, citing multiple sources it did not identify, reported Ratliff died of complications related to COVID-19. The elder Ratliff could not immediately be reached for comment Saturday by The Associated Press.

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/local/ncaa-fan-death-contact-tracing-indiana/531-66d038ef-4ac8-4cdd-8a66-1a3956354968

• Weenie 2

3 hours ago, RyanDe680 said:

The point is we all have options.  Instead of crying about something so trivial as wearing a mask because it is ‘required,’ no one is aging anyone has to go anywhere that is requiring such.  Same as the vaccine ‘passport’ - don’t want to ‘deal’ with it, don’t go to a show.  

Just so sick of people not willing to follow simple rules that science has proven to be effective. 

Yes, wearing your own personal bacteria farm is effective! Michigan cases surging. One Covid+ patient in our ER today told nurse that he wears the same mask for weeks , doesn't understand how he tested positive 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

20 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Why is this so hard for Americans to grasp?

Because folks falsely equivocate masks, vaccines and travel restrictions with positive personal freedoms. If the virus infected them and they were the only person it harmed, it would be one thing. However, ignoring all of those things gets others infected, very possibly depriving them of their health, limb or life.

These folks also usually claim to be originalists of the Constitution in some form, but forget that the Founders themselves advocated for quarantines and vaccines (see: Vaccine Act of 1813, for example). Science has advanced much since that time, but I doubt they'd be going against medical doctors, experts and medical science -- they certainly didn't at the time.

We *could* have had something more akin to Australia or New Zealand or South Korea. Instead, we got madness and stupidity. Frankly, I can't hear anyone who wants to try and defend their anti-vaxx, anti-mask, anti-quarantine-measure positions over the pile of over half a million dead Americans. (It will probably be closer to 750k by the time all of the accounting is done properly in a year or two). Remember the Imperial College study early last year? Yeah, I think some people owe a big apology to them on their projections.

9 hours ago, Nickysixes said:

Yes, wearing your own personal bacteria farm is effective! Michigan cases surging. One Covid+ patient in our ER today told nurse that he wears the same mask for weeks , doesn't understand how he tested positive 

Two posts about weather in the last 2+ years, and a bunch of posts in this thread, almost all of which are babbling about “face diapers” being “bacteria farms” and recycling the same not very good point every time. Yes, it’s possible to get sick from wearing the same mask over and over and over again, but most of us don’t, and the number of people who have gotten sick from wearing a mask dwarfs by a massive margin the number of coronavirus cases that have been prevented by masks. There’s really no arguing that point. Sure, masks are nowhere near 100% effective, but they absolutely prevent much more illness than they cause.

• Like 2

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/tracking-variants-of-the-novel-coronavirus-in-canada-1.5296141

There seems to be a higher percentage of P1 variant cases in BC than in the other provinces. Canada also has a higher percentage of P1 relative to B.1.1.7 compared to the US.  

Still haven't seen any hard data that the P1 variant is actually causing higher hospitalization rates relative to number of cases, just anecdotal reports.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

New York

Starting today,movie theatres, bowling alleys, pool halls, gyms, and fitness centers  will all be allowed to stay open past 11 pm.

Great news! No one’s freedoms will be compromised because they can’t wake up and go to the gym at 2:30 am.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

At least masks have been effective at eliminating the flu. 

Mask mandates = covid cases rise, flu cases fall.

If a mask protects against the flu, as by your own admission it does, wouldn’t it stand to reason that it also protects against covid?

3 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

If a mask protects against the flu, wouldn’t it stand to reason that it also protects against covid?

And of course it does. The missing piece of the equation in that post is that flu's natural R is around 1.3. Sars-2 is around 2.5. The variants are 4+. It's much easier to bring that flu number <1 than it is to bring 2.5 or 4 down to <1. That doesn't mean mask mandates aren't working. Anything that slows transmission is effective. It just takes a more than masks for that to happen when the virus you're attempting to screen is this aggressive.

• Like 2

Regarding the lack of flu cases in many countries (including countries with very few Covid cases like Australia), it is probably due to a combination of things. These include distancing/public health measures, relative lack of international travel, and potentially the fact that often only one type of respiratory virus might be dominant in the population at a time. (i.e. seasonal flu is generally dominated by one strain, and trying to predict this is important for flu vaccinate effectiveness). It will be interesting to see what happens with influenza once Covid becomes endemic.

Why we have flu seasons is still not entirely understood. But might be due to a combination of biological, climatic and behavior factors.  Pandemic Covid has behaved differently than flu, see the southern U.S. summer surge last year.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Would you rather have some small symptoms for 12-24 hours or go through this?

Lousy that the team is going through that, but none of them have been serious enough that they've had to go to the hospital. Hopefully by the time we get to late spring we'll be done with teams having to deal with these terrible interuptions.

18 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Lousy that the team is going through that, but none of them have been serious enough that they've had to go to the hospital. Hopefully by the time we get to late spring we'll be done with teams having to deal with these terrible interuptions.

This seems to translate as “I’m okay with feeling like complete garbage for days to weeks as long as I don’t have to go to the hospital, and that’s better than taking the risk of getting a vaccine that has a mountain of evidence as testimony to its safety and effectiveness.”

Quite frankly, if enough people refuse to get the vaccine and this thing continues spreading and morphs into something that the current vaccine doesn’t protect against, every “extremist” comment made in this thread about shunning unvaccinated people, no matter how harshly worded, will prove to have been 100% justified. (Granted that is a major hypothetical and not something that’s likely to happen, but it’s absolutely within the realm of possibility.)

3 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

This seems to translate as “I’m okay with feeling like complete garbage for days to weeks as long as I don’t have to go to the hospital, and that’s better than taking the risk of getting a vaccine that has a mountain of evidence as testimony to its safety and effectiveness.”

Not at all. Just pointing out that it's a good thing that none of them are serious enough to be in the hospital. Obviously the virus effects different athletes in different ways. Some are asymptomatic or get very mild symptoms, while some are sick as a dog and stuck in bed for several days. When I had the virus last spring it had very little effect on me, but that was a year ago and I don't know if I'm still immune. I'm not eligible for vaccine yet, but when I am in May I might get the Johnson &  Johnson vaccine.

• Like 1