Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

1 hour ago, schoeppeya said:

I read about the weather without posting because I don’t feel like I know enough to add anything valuable, generally. There’s a lot of people who know a lot more than me (Stebo included) that I learn a lot of information from. I don’t feel that way about this subject. This is a coronavirus thread,  so why does it matter?

You've consistently defended him (including right now, taking issue with me calling him a loser) when the entire reason I’ve repeatedly engaged with him is because he attacks groups of people and individuals on a personal level (calling them idiots, selfish, stupid) that he knows nothing about but take issue with me calling him a loser for doing so. Why?

ETA: since you’re already combing through my profile, why don’t you go back and read the comments I’ve responded to him on and see who is making personal attacks or using incendiary language, instead of jumping into a 292 page thread 280 pages in and blindly backing the guy you feel shares the same POV as you. 

I have never seen you make a weather post ever but we see a bunch of useless covid posts. Patterns are obvious

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Cases don't really matter though, only hospitalizations and ICU.

The rate of growth has always been an indicator of downstream values for hospitalizations and ICU. So cases aren't valueless especially as they skyrocket with new variants taking hold too 

Everything is valuable to look at.  Cases (or maybe more importantly the trends in case numbers) give you some idea of how much virus is floating around in a particular area. 

While a large percentage of vulnerable people in older age groups have been vaccinated, that is not necessarily the case yet in the middle age and younger age groups.

• Like 2

My county achieved 25% of our population 18 and over and 75% of our population 65 and over fully vaccinated as of yesterday. Of course, we only have 38,000, but it's still an impressive percentage. We are vaccinating around 350 people a day (5 days a week), so by Memorial Day, we should have everyone vaccinated that wants to be (~67%).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, schoeppeya said:

I read about the weather without posting because I don’t feel like I know enough to add anything valuable, generally. There’s a lot of people who know a lot more than me (Stebo included) that I learn a lot of information from. I don’t feel that way about this subject. This is a coronavirus thread,  so why does it matter?

You've consistently defended him (including right now, taking issue with me calling him a loser) when the entire reason I’ve repeatedly engaged with him is because he attacks groups of people and individuals on a personal level (calling them idiots, selfish, stupid) that he knows nothing about but take issue with me calling him a loser for doing so. Why?

ETA: since you’re already combing through my profile, why don’t you go back and read the comments I’ve responded to him on and see who is making personal attacks or using incendiary language, instead of jumping into a 292 page thread 280 pages in and blindly backing the guy you feel shares the same POV as you. 

I’m sure there are plenty of forums where you could talk about all coronavirus, all the time. Can’t say they’d be as generally civil as a weather forum, but I’m sure they’re out there. But I do think you severely underestimate the number of people in our society who believe that only the vaccinated should be able to enjoy certain activities with no restrictions.

I don’t feel I’m blindly backing the guy that has similar views to mine. Again, all I did was state that the particular view you called him out on at that moment isn’t extremist at all. I wasn’t speaking in general terms, maybe he has other views that some would call “extremist” but even if he does, that’s not what I was addressing at that time.

12 hours ago, dta1984 said:

You do realize you just pretty much described stebo right?

I doubt it was unprovoked.

Anyway, I’m done arguing this point. You both are entitled to your point of view, as is Stebo. My views may align more closely to his, but I’d generally prefer to be civil and open minded.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I’m sure there are plenty of forums where you could talk about all coronavirus, all the time. Can’t say they’d be as generally civil as a weather forum, but I’m sure they’re out there. But I do think you severely underestimate the number of people in our society who believe that only the vaccinated should be able to enjoy certain activities with no restrictions.

I don’t feel I’m blindly backing the guy that has similar views to mine. Again, all I did was state that the particular view you called him out on at that moment isn’t extremist at all. I wasn’t speaking in general terms, maybe he has other views that some would call “extremist” but even if he does, that’s not what I was addressing at that time.

I doubt it was unprovoked.

Anyway, I’m done arguing this point. You both are entitled to your point of view, as is Stebo. My views may align more closely to his, but I’d generally prefer to be civil and open minded.

You once again just described the reason I’ve taken issue with Stebo. You can find the post he made a few pages back encouraging a mod to censor posts and viewpoints he doesn’t agree with. He’s degrading, disrespectful, and derogatory towards people who don’t share his point of view.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

You once again just described the reason I’ve taken issue with Stebo. You can find the post he made a few pages back encouraging a mod to censor posts and viewpoints he doesn’t agree with. He’s degrading, disrespectful, and derogatory towards people who don’t share his point of view.

Trying to find the comment in question... is it “anti-vax sh*theads” or “I don't want people catching covid because of their own stupidity. Do you?”

I find neither to be all that extreme.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Trying to find the comment in question... is it “anti-vax sh*theads” or “I don't want people catching covid because of their own stupidity. Do you?”

Lol those are some gems, but there are alot more (unless there's been careful editing..).   Pay attention how he responds to @schoeppeya when legitimate data is asked for or further explaining. Or how he tells @MJO812 to get out of this thread etc..   Responses are from someone with lacking people skills acting it's his way or the highway.  There's room for both sides, not just his "extremist" attitude. 

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Lol those are some gems, but there are alot more (unless there's been careful edition..).   Pay attention how he responds to @schoeppeya when legitimate data is asked or further explaining. Or how he tells @MJO812 to get out of this thread etc..   Responses are from someone with lacking people skills acting it's his way or the highway.  There's room for both sides, not just his "extremist" attitude. 

He is disgruntled along with others on here. I am been on this forum for 10 + years. They attack you if you disagree with them.

Its all good though.  Just ignore them.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

19 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

It’s a response to @Hoosier asking why he allows certain viewpoints to post. And if you consider the comments you quoted to support open minded conversations that you say you want , we are just never going to agree on anything. 

ETA: page 281. He’s also deleted some of his gems but you can still see them in quoted responses. 

• Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

He is disgruntled along with others on here. I am been on this forum for 10 + years. They attack you if you disagree with them.

Its all good though.  Just ignore them.

The problem is all the other Covid threads on this site got taken down because people were fighting. This is the last thread standing. If it goes too, there will be no place to discuss Covid on this site. So hopefully people can keep it civil, no matter how much they disagree. When Stebo bashes people the way he does, he's risking this thread. Hopefully he can calm down.

• Like 1

Here’s another potential scenario for why people refusing to get the vaccine, and not having some form of vaccine passports in place, affects all of us:

A bunch of people refuse to get the vaccine. The virus spreads rampant through the unvaccinated population when people are allowed to gather in large groups again. The virus mutates into a form that the vaccine doesn’t protect against, and we’re back at square one. So yes, it makes me judgmental when people refuse to get the vaccine, the majority of whom are refusing it for illogical reasons.

6 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Here’s another potential scenario for why people refusing to get the vaccine, and not having some form of vaccine passports in place, affects all of us:

A bunch of people refuse to get the vaccine. The virus spreads rampant through the unvaccinated population when people are allowed to gather in large groups again. The virus mutates into a form that the vaccine doesn’t protect against, and we’re back at square one. So yes, it makes me judgmental when people refuse to get the vaccine, the majority of whom are refusing it for illogical reasons.

That’s going to be happening outside of the United States for years and years and years to come. There’s going to be parts of the world that are still less than 10% vaccinated five years from now. You ok with not letting people in or out?

I generally don't comment on specific posters, but it seems like the discussion about Stebo may go on endlessly at this rate.

I have probably known him on these boards for longer than most of the people posting about him, and I can say that his style has not really changed over the years.  I'm not always a fan of it.  I'm sure his feeling of frustration with certain posters is genuine, but the forum is not run according to Stebo.  It never has been and won't be as long as he is not on the staff. 

My advice... learn to coexist, people.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Florida just banned vaccine passports. Imagine having many states with vaccine passports and many states without them, which is looking like a real possibility. Imagine how divided the country will be. This country is already divided enough as it is.

• Like 1