Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

28 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I wear one all day at work and cannot stand it. It's a big deal to me, I hate them.

I don't like them either.  Really gets annoying after hours of wearing it.  But the way I look at it is that sometimes in life you do things that you don't like doing.  I have mild asthma.  I don't need an inhaler or anything and it generally doesn't affect me in day to day life, but when masked, I start to feel it sometimes.  Probably could've cut the vaccine line because of that but opted not to since it's mild, plus I wanted to wait it out a little bit longer.  Very much looking forward to the days of not wearing a mask, but will continue doing so until fully vaccinated.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Is there some kind of official declaration of the end of the pandemic and when it's considered an endemic virus?  Just wondering because the WHO came out and called it a pandemic a little over a year ago.

One of the many articles on the endemic phase.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/02/27/what-if-covid-becomes-endemic.html

37 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Might be wise for America to slow down reopening everything just out of a abundance of caution 

Might have a hard time reversing momentum as long as cases remain low or steady in the states that have rolled things towards reopening 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

45 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Do these lockdowns accomplish much. Other than roiling emotions, creating economic hardship and punting preventive medical procedures. This seems absurd IMO. Only time will tell. Because we will not fully grasp all of this for many years.

• Like 2

Just now, StormfanaticInd said:

Things are not as bad in America but the world as a whole is getting worse. Over 700k cases today and nearly 12k deaths

Screenshot_20210402-000303_Chrome.jpg

Europe’s vaccination rollout has been laughable. I count my blessings that Im a US citizen. 

I spoke with my physician earlier this week about getting the vaccine or not. I had C19 back in NOV and I called to ask if it’s appropriate to wait, or immediately get vaccinated...the answer was interesting. He recommended the J&J vaccine after 9 full months after C19 infection. 

2 minutes ago, CorePunch said:

Do these lockdowns accomplish much. Other than roiling emotions, creating economic hardship and punting preventive medical procedures. This seems absurd IMO. Only time will tell. Because we will not fully grasp all of this for many years.

I think they undoubtedly lower cases in the immediate term. My problem with them thus far has been the moving target purgatory that follows the lockdown. As in, let’s use lockdowns to actually target hotspots and prepare emergency responses for the case load and then get as open as we can. Because I also think it’s pretty obvious the half open half closed stuff doesn’t do anything to actually slow anything down.

2 minutes ago, CorePunch said:

Europe’s vaccination rollout has been laughable. I count my blessings that Im a US citizen. 

I spoke with my physician earlier this week about getting the vaccine or not. I had C19 back in NOV and I called to ask if it’s appropriate to wait, or immediately get vaccinated...the answer was interesting. He recommended the J&J vaccine after 9 full months after C19 infection. 

Europeans on average have been more hesitant to get the vaccine than Americans as well. 

9 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Things are not as bad in America but the world as a whole is getting worse. Over 700k cases today and nearly 12k deaths

Screenshot_20210402-000303_Chrome.jpg

I think it’s going to look that way for the foreseeable future as long as we keep leading the vaccine numbers 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

Europeans on average have been more hesitant to get the vaccine than Americans as well. 

Cant blame them either. AstraZeneca isn’t held in high regard in the EU. Not mention the tribalism between nations in Europe. The lack of trust is thousands of years in the making. 

18 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

I think they undoubtedly lower cases in the immediate term. My problem with them thus far has been the moving target purgatory that follows the lockdown. As in, let’s use lockdowns to actually target hotspots and prepare emergency responses for the case load and then get as open as we can. Because I also think it’s pretty obvious the half open half closed stuff doesn’t do anything to actually slow anything down.

It will allow for the hospitals to not be overwhelmed. Yes its taking longer but if hospitals don't get overwhelmed, less people die.

• Like 1

WGN TV, with over 1.1 million Facebook followers, showing exactly how NOT to communicate what was genuinely great news from the late stage Pfizer study. The takeaway is that the vaccine is 91% effective in preventing infection for at least 6 months, 100% effective against severe disease, and even appears to work against the South African variant. The headline makes it seem like the vaccine only works for up to six months and encourages a negative takeaway, such as that we're going to need to get vaccinated every 6 months, a common reply on the absolute shitshow comment thread.

The media is generally terrible at communicating scientific information to non-scientists. When we're in the middle of working toward herd immunity in part by trying to reduce lingering vaccine skepticism, they need to do better. They need to understand that absence of evidence (effectiveness beyond 6 months in this case) does not mean that the evidence won't exist when more data becomes available. 08911c3a47df231d573d9ba5fb75f4f9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

The mask thing I’ll never ever ever understand for the anger and reactions they create. I understand completely the lockdown opposition and even the vaccine resistance to some extent....but the sh*t fit some threw over wearing a mask some places in public is just beyond parody.

+1

9 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

The mask thing I’ll never ever ever understand for the anger and reactions they create. I understand completely the lockdown opposition and even the vaccine resistance to some extent....but the sh*t fit some threw over wearing a mask some places in public is just beyond parody.

The way I understand it, that subset of the population views masks as being mandated for “compliance” rather than for public health, and so wearing a mask “takes away their freedom.” By no means do I agree with this, and I think it’s asinine, but that’s what it seems to boil down to.

The compliance thing breaks down a little when they say “masks are about compliance, not health” one day and “if George Floyd would have done what those officers told him to do, he’d be alive today” the next, so it seems like they want to be able to pick and choose when you have to comply with the government. (For the record, I would say you should comply in both situations, though non-compliance in either situation shouldn’t be punishable by death.)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CorePunch said:

Cant blame them either. AstraZeneca isn’t held in high regard in the EU. Not mention the tribalism between nations in Europe. The lack of trust is thousands of years in the making. 

Europe has more vaccine hesitancy in general for all vaccines. It was apparent before covid.

gr1.jpg

• Like 1