Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

14 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Michigan with another 6k+ day:thumbsdown:. Hospitalizations are surging also. We know where this leads folks

The average age of hospitalized patients being younger now is a plus, but other than that, not great to see a tripling of hospitalizations in only 3 weeks.

Been keeping an eye on # of ventilated covid as well.  That number has more than doubled.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Michigan with another 6k+ day:thumbsdown:. Hospitalizations are surging also. We know where this leads folks

33 of 49 reported deaths in Michigan, were tallied by reviewing past death certificates. Not that this stat means much, but it seems to be a common practice and pads/skews the daily counts. 

33 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

Would they know if the majority of those cases were the Brazilian variant by now? What is happening there seems bizarre. 

I'm not certain but I think states are generally only sequencing a portion of samples.  So when you hear about X number of variant cases in a state, the actual number would be higher.

I'm sure variants are playing a role in the dramatic hospitalization increase in MI, but even with "original" covid, it was not that rare for people in their 30s/40s to be hospitalized.  A huge percentage of hospitalized people in their 30s/40s survive though.  If some of these variants are more deadly, then working backwards logically would suggest that they would be more likely to cause hospitalization as well. 

People gained weight during the pandemic, because they became more depressed and/or anxious during the pandemic. People cope by binging on eating, drinking, drugging, fighting and arguing on weather message boards. 

Suicides and mass shootings were way down though. :)

Was at the bar earlier watching the Tigers. Struck up a conversation with a local about COVID. He is reluctant to get the vaccine. I asked him why and he said something the struck me. He basically said that why should he run out and get the vaccine if he is still required to wear a mask, can still infect others and be infected. I didn’t challenge him on his stance but urged him to be careful. The conversation then turned into a mutual rant about the crappy Detroit Lions. 

Anyhow, theres a lot of vaccine skepticism out there. I know more money is being spent on public health outreach, but its obvious that more can be done.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OSUmetstud said:

Suicide numbers are down, interesting because that is what so many liked to beat their chest on, why lockdowns were so bad. Which is concerning is the other medical deaths going up probably because of reluctance to go to the hospitals.

28 minutes ago, CorePunch said:

Was at the bar earlier watching the Tigers. Struck up a conversation with a local about COVID. He is reluctant to get the vaccine. I asked him why and he said something the struck me. He basically said that why should he run out and get the vaccine if he is still required to wear a mask, can still infect others and be infected. I didn’t challenge him on his stance but urged him to be careful. The conversation then turned into a mutual rant about the crappy Detroit Lions. 

Anyhow, theres a lot of vaccine skepticism out there. I know more money is being spent on public health outreach, but its obvious that more can be done.  

As more data comes in, the evidence is leaning more toward that not being the case. The CDC was and is urging caution because not much was known about this aspect. I wouldn't be surprised to see that guidance change soon, especially if more evidence continues to come in supporting efficacy against the major variants of concern.

35 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Suicide numbers are down, interesting because that is what so many liked to beat their chest on, why lockdowns were so bad. Which is concerning is the other medical deaths going up probably because of reluctance to go to the hospitals.

Ehh...accidental deaths are up 19k (mostly overdose). That's pretty significant. 

Restrictions and lockdowns are a necessary evil at times but they aren't without negative downstream effects. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

As more data comes in, the evidence is leaning more toward that not being the case. The CDC was and is urging caution because not much was known about this aspect. I wouldn't be surprised to see that guidance change soon, especially if more evidence continues to come in supporting efficacy against the major variants of concern.

Will be interesting to see the CDCs next step. Especially since we’ve entered the endemic phase. 

• Like 1

So last night I registered to get my vaccine. I figured it would be a few weeks or more til i got an appointment date. To my surprise today I was told I can get it done next Thursday and that there were dozens of openings left to fill. Being in the dead center if the thumb of mi I figured people might be in a rush to get it but I guess not. 

27 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Ehh...accidental deaths are up 19k (mostly overdose). That's pretty significant. 

Restrictions and lockdowns are a necessary evil at times but they aren't without negative downstream effects. 

Yeah, I attribute that to people being at home more, I think the bigger problem is the amount of extra medical related death.

41 minutes ago, CorePunch said:

Will be interesting to see the CDCs next step. Especially since we’ve entered the endemic phase. 

Is there some kind of official declaration of the end of the pandemic and when it's considered an endemic virus?  Just wondering because the WHO came out and called it a pandemic a little over a year ago.

8 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Is there some kind of official declaration of the end of the pandemic and when it's considered an endemic virus?  Just wondering because the WHO came out and called it a pandemic a little over a year ago.

I don't know if there is an official declaration. If the general sense, I would imagine this would be when most areas can return to life with minimal restrictions and without ongoing significant amounts of excess mortality. The pandemic is certainly not yet over, cases and deaths overall have risen worldwide in the past 2-3 weeks (Brazil is responsible for a lot of that, but numbers are up in other places too)

17 minutes ago, Scorpion said:

I’ve thrown out all my masks, this is eradicated in my opinion, anybody that is high risk has been vaccinated so it’s no worse than a common cold now.

Somehow managed to top virtually every terrible post that has been made in this thread.  Congrats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Somehow managed to top virtually every terrible post that has been made in this thread.  Congrats.

The mask thing I’ll never ever ever understand for the anger and reactions they create. I understand completely the lockdown opposition and even the vaccine resistance to some extent....but the sh*t fit some threw over wearing a mask some places in public is just beyond parody.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

The mask thing I’ll never ever ever understand for the anger and reactions they create. I understand completely the lockdown opposition and even the vaccine resistance to some extent....but the sh*t fit some threw over wearing a mask some places in public is just beyond parody.

I wear one all day at work and cannot stand it. It's a big deal to me, I hate them.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's not good. Between this and the 15 million J and J vaccines, doesn't instill much confidence.

German experts say under 60s should not get second AstraZeneca vaccine

BERLIN (Reuters)...

.......under 60-years old who have had a first shot of AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine should receive a different product for their second dose.

.......due to the rare but severe occurrence of thromboembolic side effects. It said it would make a separate recommendation later on younger people who had already received a first shot.

“Until the appropriate data is available, STIKO recommends for people under 60 years old that instead of the second AstraZeneca dose, a dose of an mRNA-vaccine should be given 12 weeks after the first vaccine,” STIKO said.

More.....

German experts say under 60s should not get second AstraZeneca vaccine