Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

1 minute ago, roardog said:

So get this. I've been signed up with the county health department for quite awhile now. I've been eligible since January. I haven't heard anything from them. Today, a co-worker called the "immunization manager" phone number at the health department and was given an appointment tomorrow. She said they told her that there were several appointments available tomorrow. So I guess that's the key to getting an appointment in this county. 

Yeah the system in the state is a mess, all the websites are trash and then I go to the state website and it says there are vaccinations right down the street at Rite Aid, but I can't sign up for them.

38 minutes ago, Stebo said:

It is a covid death though because while yes they may have been sick, covid is the reason they died. Its like someone with AIDS dying of pneumonia, AIDS is the sickness but pneumonia is the killer.

I think what we were talking about was a situation that is more murky.  Say someone has very late stage cancer and is estimated to have a week or two to live.  Then they contract covid and die.  What's the cause of death in that particular case?  

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I think what we were talking about was a situation that is more murky.  Say someone has very late stage cancer and is estimated to have a week or two to live.  Then they contract covid and die.  What's the cause of death in that particular case?  

I mean how many cases would fall in that category, now we are being really specific.

Just now, Hoosier said:

Of course, which is why I said the vast majority of cases are pretty clear.

Lets worry about the vast majority then, the anecdotal small situations are not worth focusing on and just give people an out to complain about things.

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

Thank you, this individualism that people keep expressing is what will cause this to never get down to reasonable rates. The longer it is around the better then chances of new variants too. This has to be a team effort, and if it means shunning those who don't want to be part of the team so be it. I don't need their selfish behavior to cause someone I love to die.

Anddddd another argument based in emotion used to rationalize an extremist viewpoint. 

Just now, schoeppeya said:

Anddddd another argument based in emotion used to rationalize an extremist viewpoint. 

If it isn't talking about you why do you give a shit? Individualism is not needed right now, these are the same people who bleat out herd immunity but won't get the shot. They don't deserve a pass to risk others lives.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stebo said:

If it isn't talking about you why do you give a shit? Individualism is not needed right now, these are the same people who bleat out herd immunity but won't get the shot. They don't deserve a pass to risk others lives.

That’s the part I just don’t understand, we have a clear path to herd immunity, less masks  and less tests...then it turns into not wanting the vaccine. The more this continues to spread the more variants we deal with and the longer this thing lurks around...we need full effort to end this thing and eventually turn it into something less deadly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, schoeppeya said:

It’s easier to see both sides when people with the opposite viewpoint don’t go around saying a statement like “I don’t want to be around a bunch of people who refuse to get vaccinated” is an “extremist viewpoint,” especially when it is a viewpoint commonly held by a large number of people.

6 hours ago, schoeppeya said:

Care to expand? You think someone with late stage cancer or who suffers a severe stroke or heart attack should be considered a covid death?

You don’t think someone with late stage cancer who dies in a car accident should be considered a car accident death?

13 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

It’s easier to see both sides when people with the opposite viewpoint don’t go around saying a statement like “I don’t want to be around a bunch of people who refuse to get vaccinated” is an “extremist viewpoint,” especially when it is a viewpoint commonly held by a large number of people.

If you don’t think Stebo has an extremist viewpoint you just showed up.

9 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

You don’t think someone with late stage cancer who dies in a car accident should be considered a car accident death?

Fair analogy. 

It was a legitimate question about where the line gets drawn that a couple people answered pretty well. 

1 minute ago, schoeppeya said:

Guilty as charged. I haven’t lurked in this thread much. I’ll read back a bit. Or maybe I won’t, COVID is another non-political topic like climate change that people have made political because being divisive is human nature.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

You are new around here and I have been consistent, with a lot of people agreeing with me. Just because you think you are right doesn't mean you are right.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Guilty as charged. I haven’t lurked in this thread much. I’ll read back a bit. Or maybe I won’t, COVID is another non-political topic like climate change that people have made political because being divisive is human nature.

He is asshurt because I called him an idiot so now he is spreading around bullshit.

7 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

Anyone who thinks Stebo is an extremist has a smooth brain

11 minutes ago, Stebo said:

He is asshurt because I called him an idiot so now he is spreading around bullshit.

Like I said, I don’t know any of y’all (to the extent that you can really know anyone on an internet weather forum). But on the spectrum that goes from “if it means shunning those who don’t want to be part of the team so be it” to “[the aforementioned view is] another argument based in emotion used to rationalize an extremist viewpoint”, I’m unquestionably a lot closer to the former than the latter.

5 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Exactly, my science based approach is super extreme.

You haven’t posted anything scientific since I made the regrettable decision of engaging you in this thread. Science means posting data and facts. 

You haven’t posted anything scientific since I made the regrettable decision of engaging you in this thread. Science means posting data and facts. 

I pointed to several articles in this thread that have been science based for my reasoning, you either don't get the dynamic around here or you are an ignorant troll. At this point since you popped up out of thin air and are rooted in this thread, I would say the latter to be true.

24 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I pointed to several articles in this thread that have been science based for my reasoning, you either don't get the dynamic around here or you are an ignorant troll. At this point since you popped up out of thin air and are rooted in this thread, I would say the latter to be true.

You keep saying that. I’ve been a member since 2013 and lurked for years before that. I’ve spent a lot of time on this forum. There’s also plenty of people who’ve told you you’re out of line, including a mod yesterday. You literally refuse to answer any question I ask you that involves providing data. I don’t think you are stupid, I don’t think you’re an idiot, but I think the way you talk about covid in general is exactly the type of language that stops people from getting the vaccine and further divides the “team” you claim you want to be on. There’s literally five other people yesterday who said exactly the same thing as me so I’m not sure what dynamic you are getting at. 

@TimB84 Ill ask you the sane question I asked him yesterday. The vaccines so far have shown to be extremely effective at preventing serious cases of covid. If you and everyone else who is comfortable getting it has had the chance to get the vaccine, what’s the point in shaming somebody who wants to wait 6 months or a year until they feel more comfortable getting it? At some point there has to be an acceptable risk tolerance-we do this with basically everything in life. Why are we acting like it has to be zero with covid?

ETA-I think this idea that you can “shame” people into getting the vaccine is utter bullshit. I think that’s a guaranteed way to ensure those people will not get it and those of you who do think it’s a good idea have never actually been part of building a team. 
 I think the way to encourage more people to get it is to continue to show it works, it’s safe, and it’s easy to get. And, I’m admittedly pulling this number out of my ass, but I’d guess MAYBE ten percent of people think shunning people who don’t get vacc’d is a good idea. So yes, I would consider that an extreme viewpoint. 

• Like 1

You keep saying that. I’ve been a member since 2013 and lurked for years before that. I’ve spent a lot of time on this forum. There’s also plenty of people who’ve told you you’re out of line, including a mod yesterday. You literally refuse to answer any question I ask you that involves providing data. I don’t think you are stupid, I don’t think you’re an idiot, but I think the way you talk about covid in general is exactly the type of language that stops people from getting the vaccine and further divides the “team” you claim you want to be on.

@TimB84 Ill ask you the sane question I asked him yesterday. The vaccines so far have shown to be extremely effective at preventing serious cases of covid. If you and everyone else who is comfortable getting it has had the chance to get the vaccine, what’s the point in shaming somebody who wants to wait 6 months or a year until they feel more comfortable getting it?

What evidence do you need that wasn't already posted? You seem to keep glossing over shit that is posted with a bunch of 'however's that add up to nothing.

Just because a couple people could get away with not getting the vaccine for a while because everyone else is covering for their asses doesn't mean that they aren't idiots. 

It is entirely unnecessary for me to post anything to prove this, because even if someone missed it the first forty-eight times explanations were linked, it's literally common knowledge at this point in the Covid Crisis that vaccines DON'T WORK THAT WAY. 

People who wait are stupid, because they think their caution is logical, when in fact, there's literally no way that this vaccine will cause widespread issues in its recipients. You know, as we've seen for the past 2+ months. 

Idk what you guys are waiting for... 

• Like 1