Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

3 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

There are others that need the vaccine way more than I do (high risk, elderly, those living in fear and need it to get on with their lives etc).   To go along with that, yes, I may reconsider at some point.   The other part is just a general distrust for a rushed vaccine that hasn't shown much benefit  yet (outside of those with high risk)

I can understand and respect the first point of waiting to let others get it first. 

I encourage you to try to find unbiased reports on the real world efficacy.  The data coming out of Isreal and in the early groups immunized in the USA - nursing home and Healthcare workers is very strong and has shown a really good translation of clinical trial efficacy to real world efficacy without any large safety signals popping up aside from the well covered allergic reactions that some have had. 

• Like 3

Just now, mattb65 said:

I agree but also think that personal choices can have reasonable benefits and consequences. People that choose to get vaccination shouldn't have to spend a bunch of money to get a pre travel covid test to avoid quarantine in hawaii for example. But an unvaccinated person should still need to get their test to prove that they aren't carrying the virus. 

Many colleges require a while host of immunizations to attend same with elementary school,  same with the military. This isn't a new concept. 

There are cases indeed where it will be required as a condition of service. There are private and public schools that require proof of vaccination. I think my point was misconstrued, what Im trying to say is essentially - good luck convincing everyone to get that jab. I said it earlier though, I believe most people are getting the vaccine and to add, these people outnumber the reluctant. 

Just now, Nickysixes said:

The vaccines work. The face diapers are virtue signals. They project fear and make the fearful feel safe. Our Covid patients,  I'd say 85% +, "I always wear my mask! Why'd  I get Covid?"

Wearing mask was never guaranteed to stop the spread 100% but it does help stop the spread. Why are so many willfully ignorant on this?

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

I'm mostly anti vaccine passport. I think most people will get the vaccine and those who don't take the risk upon themselves. 

Theres some solid equity argument against them too...well to do folks are more likely to be in a position to navigate the vaccine appt system. 

Careful you’re about to get labeled anti vaccine. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WaryWarren said:

Lots of sore, middle-aged white dudes being asked for the first time to think of others and don a "face diaper" in public. Oh, woe is me!

Also, Ohio was a mistake.

I be willing to bet my entire life savings that you dudes bitching and moaning about people being able to make their own choices are middle age white dudes. 

Calling other people selfish is literally the only argument you guys have. If not, one of you would have taken a shot at responding to my post on the last page about accepting some risks but not this one. For guys who want to trumpet science, relying on emotional character attacks is bizarre. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, WaryWarren said:

Lots of sore, middle-aged white dudes being asked for the first time to think of others and don a "face diaper" in public. Oh, woe is me!

Also, Ohio was a mistake.

For my understanding, the Black community is also concerned about that vaccine...The Tuskegee experiment isn’t exactly a proud moment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

That's a bridge too far for me.  Besides the logistical issues of such a thing, where exactly are we setting the goal?  0 covid cases and 0 covid deaths?  If you have a crowd of 20,000 packed people who are all vaccinated, you could theoretically still get some covid cases from that since it is not 100% effective against infection.

I hear you man, and you have some very valid points. I’m just frustrated by all the older people I know who are refusing them and spouting out dangerous stuff and sending it in mass email and on social media. Too much of that is negative for us as a whole. You and Phil made good points, and normally I’m against all that, but with a new pandemic... and anti vaxx issues feels like you really need to incentivize getting vaccinated.

24 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Please share.  It's been through a normal vaccine approval phase?

The clinical trials were scientifically as rigorous and well done as any. There were no shortcuts in any of the phase 3 trials from the three EUA vaccines in use here.

Astra Zeneca pulled some shenanigans with their trial data that they'll have to answer for when they go before the vaccine review board.

In terms of whether they've gone through the normal full approval phase - as you know not yet but hopefully soon. EUA was the right choice given the circumstances and will likely end up being a decision that saved many thousands of lives.  At the same time if a low risk person wants to wait for full FDA approval, that is a reasonable personal choice. My view is that the data is compelling and benefits of vaccine >>> risk of vaccine. Allowing people to have the vaccine for >6 months without major problems will hopefully ease any further worries about their safety. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

The clinical trials were scientifically as rigorous and well done as any. There were no shortcuts in any of the phase 3 trials from the three EUA vaccines in use here.

Astra Zeneca pulled some shenanigans with their trial data that they'll have to answer for when they go before the vaccine review board.

In terms of whether they've gone through the normal full approval phase - as you know not yet but hopefully soon. EUA was the right choice given the circumstances and will likely end up being a decision that saved many thousands of lives.  At the same time if a low risk person wants to wait for full FDA approval, that is a reasonable personal choice. My view is that the data is compelling and benefits of vaccine >>> risk of vaccine. Allowing people to have the vaccine for >6 months without major problems will hopefully ease any further worries about their safety. 

Completely agree again. I don’t think people will even be arguing about it a year from now when they realizing people arent growing ears out of their face. 

• Haha 1

You are never going to get down to 0 cases and deaths, unrealistic when the virus will almost certainly become endemic, even with vaccines as they do not block all infections (and some will decline to take the vaccine). Ultimately the goal is to get the mortality/health/health care system impacts down to an acceptable seasonal level, similar to influenza. I would think that happens by June-July at the latest.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Stebo said:

Let me tell you how hard up I am to get vaccinated, right now have a standing appointment in Lima Ohio to get vaccinated on Saturday. If I find something closer I will take it but at this point I am willing to drive 150 miles one way to get the shot and be done with it.

Spectrum Health in Grand Rapids is open to anyone 16 or older - https://mychartopensched.spectrumhealth.org/MyChart/covid19/#/scheduling

Neither is letting "opposing viewpoints" of a pandemic sit here to fester, yet you let that shit slide. So yes it is completely necessary.

Lol.  Seems to be the new trend.   You don't like the view, attack it, and censor it. 

Let me tell you how hard up I am to get vaccinated, right now have a standing appointment in Lima Ohio to get vaccinated on Saturday. If I find something closer I will take it but at this point I am willing to drive 150 miles one way to get the shot and be done with it.

Is something wrong in Michigan? We've got shots galore here & mine is scheduled for tomorrow at CVS

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/28/960901166/how-is-the-covid-19-vaccination-campaign-going-in-your-state

I like this site. Give the suspected ratio of cases to infections theres probably somewhere between 105 million and 125 million Americans have been infected (30 to 38 percent). 

Theres about 16% of Americans fully vaccinated

Even with some overlap you'd expect 41% to 50% of Americans to have considerable protection.

I would suspect there'd be herd immunity in June or so via these vaccination rates and prior infection.