Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

6 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Lol what? You can disagree with my name reference if you want, but it isn't related at all to Georgia. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-56218684

Please read some articles like this and let me know what you think.  After you read a few like this you can see how terms like that can lead to racism and hate crimes

31 minutes ago, madwx said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-56218684

Please read some articles like this and let me know what you think.  After you read a few like this you can see how terms like that can lead to racism and hate crimes

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/violence-against-asian-americans-why-hate-crime-should-be-used-n1258793

I thought this one was pretty fair too, probably because it was published before the media could blow up the white guy narrative.

1 hour ago, schoeppeya said:

The violence that has no evidence of being racially motivated?

Don't even disagree but at least pick a relevant example.

You’re right.  I had misunderstood what had happened and made an argument based on it But my point still stands, calling the virus that does nothing but inflame things 

• Like 1

IHME has daily average deaths not dropping below 500 until the middle of May.  I sure hope it happens earlier but the backside of these curves has proven to not go as quickly as we'd like.  For comparison, we were getting about 1500 deaths per day in mid-May 2020.  

8 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Not going to comment on that specific case, but there have definitely been ramifications from calling this the "China virus." 

I have seen the argument that there is some history of naming diseases based on where the initial cases showed up, such as Lyme Disease and Saint Louis encephalitis.  Then there's the big one -- the Spanish Flu -- which didn't even originate there.  Perhaps we shouldn't have given those names to those diseases, but it's kinda tough to go back decades and undo that.  It is difficult to ascribe any innocent motive to calling this the "China virus."  It was never called that in an official capacity, and it is easy enough to just say coronavirus, covid, covid-19, SARS-CoV2.  It's not some 20 letter word that is hard to remember.   

this doesn't go nearly far enough in addressing the rampant racism in this thread. do better.

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1

On 3/18/2021 at 5:36 PM, dta1984 said:

Lol "masks are for theater after you've been vaccinated or had the virus." 

Get him senator Paul!   

Dr. Fauci keeps changing his mind more than I change my boxers.

On 3/18/2021 at 6:53 PM, dta1984 said:

On a roller coaster?  Lol come on loosen up. 

Stupid rule

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 3

9 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

And....I have not heard ANYBODY in my area of Central New York calling this the "China virus" or any such thing. Not saying it doesn't happen..maybe out there in the Midwest area.....

This whole blowing everything out of proportion in this nation is an epidemic in itself.

Agreed.  Everyone is so easily offended lately. 

As far as the naming, we have always named viruses from the origin.  I suppose the origin of this "virus" is still debatable to some .  See; spanish flu, Asian flu, russian flu, Fiji measles, German measles etc.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

21 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Agreed.  Everyone is so easily offended lately. 

As far as the naming, we have always named viruses from the origin.  I suppose the origin of this "virus" is still debatable to some .  See; spanish flu, Asian flu, russian flu, Fiji measles, German measles etc.

They changed the guidance on this because people "blame" the country of discovery/origin and there's harassment and hate crimes against those individuals. There's efforts also to not name variants of the county of discovery also...to name it via the number instead of SA or Brazil or whatever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

They changed the guidance on this because people "blame" the country of discovery/origin and there's harassment and hate crimes against those individuals. There's efforts also to not name variants of the county of discovery also...to name it via the number instead of SA or Brazil or whatever. 

When did it change?  

So it's ok to call the variants by where they are coming from?  UK, South Africa, Brazil etc.  

• Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

When did it change?  

So it's ok to call the variants by where they are coming from?  UK, South Africa, Brazil etc.  

I literally said in my reply that the directive is not to call the variants by the place of discovery for the same reason. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1165366

The pork industry suffered in 2009 because of the "swine flu." 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I literally said in my reply that the directive is not to call the variants by the place of discovery for the same reason. 

I do think it's trickier when it comes to talking about the variants.  I follow this stuff fairly closely and I can't tell you what numbers the Brazilian variant goes by.  You have Fauci and other medical people still sometimes referring to the variants by country.

8 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I do think it's trickier when it comes to talking about the variants.  I follow this stuff fairly closely and I can't tell you what numbers the Brazilian variant goes by.  You have Fauci and other medical people still sometimes referring to the variants by country.

Yeah I agree. I watch the JAMA interviews and they do try to use the letter/numbers but its tough for people to remember things like B.1.1.7. Especially with the variants, the UK was doing far more generic survaillance than anyone else a few months back. It was discovered in Kent but it could have very easily have evolved somewhere else. 

It's more likely that sars cov 2 started in Wuhan but that's not a given either. 

20 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Great, you "literally" made my point for me.  Those variant names are plastered all over this thread and there's no crying about that.  

• Weenie 1

On 3/18/2021 at 5:36 PM, dta1984 said:

Lol "masks are for theater after you've been vaccinated or had the virus." 

Get him senator Paul!   

Took a 5 mile hike on the outskirts of Ann Arbor (heavily liberal) and people hiking in the middle of the woods were wearing masks. Leaving metro Detroit you hardly see anyone wearing them outside of large chain stores and certainly not outside.

No lives were saved, it's just theater. He's right.

• Weenie 2