Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

2 minutes ago, WaryWarren said:

Devoid of any other context Rand is correct. However, given the polls indicating that Republican voting individuals say they are the least likely to get vaccinated, and those same individuals were the most likely to claim COVID was/is a hoax and the most likely to resist mask mandates, I’m fine with keeping the theater open for a few more months until we get most people vaccinated.

I don’t trust the Trumpanzees to not simply lie about getting vaccinated and going maskless, creating yet another spike, thus further delaying my return to my preferred Golden Corral location.

I actually lol’d. 

You say you’re ok with keeping the theatre open a few more months until more people have been vaccinated.... do you feel like people generally agree that once everybody has been vaccinated who wants to be vaccinated we move on? (Obviously barring any major outbreak of a more deadly variant, which is highly unlikely imo)

7 minutes ago, WaryWarren said:

Devoid of any other context Rand is correct. However, given the polls indicating that Republican voting individuals say they are the least likely to get vaccinated, and those same individuals were the most likely to claim COVID was/is a hoax and the most likely to resist mask mandates, I’m fine with keeping the theater open for a few more months until we get most people vaccinated.

I don’t trust the Trumpanzees to not simply lie about getting vaccinated and going maskless, creating yet another spike, thus further delaying my return to my preferred Golden Corral location.

Great choice, quality food to keep that immune system kicking :lol:

Fortunately, mask less is coming to a state near you soon vaccinated or not. 

• Weenie 4

3 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

I actually lol’d. 

You say you’re ok with keeping the theatre open a few more months until more people have been vaccinated.... do you feel like people generally agree that once everybody has been vaccinated who wants to be vaccinated we move on? (Obviously barring any major outbreak of a more deadly variant, which is highly unlikely imo)

Although your post wasn't directed at me, my answer is yes.  Honestly, we are probably at the point where a ton of states could remove mask mandates and not have so large of a surge as to threaten hospital capacity (especially since a good percentage of people would still choose to wear a mask even without a mandate) but so many lives have already been lost and we are still losing 1k+ per day on average.  Let's just wait another couple months.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Although your post wasn't directed at me, my answer is yes.  Honestly, we are probably at the point where a ton of states could remove mask mandates and not have so large of a surge as to threaten hospital capacity (especially since a good percentage of people would still choose to wear a mask even without a mandate) but so many lives have already been lost and we are still losing 1k+ per day on average.  Let's just wait another couple months.

I was hoping you would respond as well. 

Like at every other point of this pandemic, a clear plan or milestones to achieve and an obvious effort to make the point that we will return to normal would calm a lot of nerves about what the intentions are for mandates and restrictions going forward. And I guarantee more people would get vaccinated. Saying something like “well maybe if enough people get vaccinated you can gather with your family on the fourth” just pisses people off. 

I also wouldn’t mind it at all if Fauci said something along the lines of “we want to encourage wearing masks for the sake of continuity until every who wants the vaccine has had a chance to get it”

2 minutes ago, wxman_ind said:

You are misinterpreting me. I'm making no comment on what the park is encouraging. That's up to them. I'm saying quit being so melodramatic and saying it's akin to communism.

Apologies for the misunderstanding 

The vaccine effect on deaths and hospitalizations diverging from cases is becoming more and more apparent especially now that cases are starting to level off our even tick back up slightly.  With the pace of vaccines providing protection to the vulnerable and slowing of transmission things should be generally open everywhere and restrictions lifted by the end of April or May at the latest imo. I agree with those that are saying that we aren't giving enough positive incentives and positive messages about the benefits of widespread vaccinations and how rapid we will be way low on deaths and hospitalizations. 

I think it's partially fear of a variant taking off and the difficulty to walk things back plus the political fall out if you over promise and under deliver.

I'm pretty sure people are paying enough attention to see where things are going with the pandemic end in sight.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, madwx said:

Language like this leads to violence against minorities like you saw in Georgia. If you have any decency you should stop using it 

Not going to comment on that specific case, but there have definitely been ramifications from calling this the "China virus." 

I have seen the argument that there is some history of naming diseases based on where the initial cases showed up, such as Lyme Disease and Saint Louis encephalitis.  Then there's the big one -- the Spanish Flu -- which didn't even originate there.  Perhaps we shouldn't have given those names to those diseases, but it's kinda tough to go back decades and undo that.  It is difficult to ascribe any innocent motive to calling this the "China virus."  It was never called that in an official capacity, and it is easy enough to just say coronavirus, covid, covid-19, SARS-CoV2.  It's not some 20 letter word that is hard to remember.   

• Like 2

Thelawyercraig guy on twitter has started adding Michigan numbers due to their increase.  This is a good example of when cases increase by a large enough amount, it is still going to result in more people going to the hospital, even though many older/vulnerable have been vaccinated.  As time goes on and even more individuals are vaccinated, it should require an even greater increase in case numbers to result in higher hospitalizations.

Ew4TAaGWYAcaDC3.png.4b9d5d01a166d856e81da117728fb489.png

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Thelawyercraig guy on twitter has started adding Michigan numbers due to their increase.  This is a good example of when cases increase by a large enough amount, it is still going to result in more people going to the hospital, even though many older/vulnerable have been vaccinated.  As time goes on and even more individuals are vaccinated, it should require an even greater increase in case numbers to result in higher hospitalizations.

Ew4TAaGWYAcaDC3.png.4b9d5d01a166d856e81da117728fb489.png

Aren’t hospitalizations already below what they would be in a typical flu season though? Pretty sure they are, or close to it. Should not result in anymore lockdowns as hospitals are not overrun. But you know politics...

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Aren’t hospitalizations already below what they would be in a typical flu season though? Pretty sure they are, or close to it. Should not result in anymore lockdowns as hospitals are not overrun. But you know politics...

I don't know.  Based on the extremely low prevalence of flu this season, there is probably virtually nobody in the hospital with the flu now.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Already well below 2017-2018. What are we at 35k hospitalizations?  

461F9C36-5E9B-4F6E-BD4E-D0BFFBC38AEB.jpeg

That says cumulative, so I believe it is adding up all of the hospitalizations to that point? 

Better comparison would be to look at how many people were in the hospital with the flu in the middle of March 2018.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That says cumulative, so I believe it is adding up all of the hospitalizations to that point? 

Better comparison would be to look at how many people were in the hospital with the flu in the middle of March 2018.

Yeah sorry at gym. I read article showing we’re already below a normal flu season hospitalizations already. Weird the flu disappeared completely though. It was down 97% in western New York. Insane 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madwx said:

Language like this leads to violence against minorities like you saw in Georgia. If you have any decency you should stop using it 

The violence that has no evidence of being racially motivated?

Don't even disagree but at least pick a relevant example.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2