Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

28 minutes ago, sbnwx85 said:

Pretty wild to go back to the beginning of this thread which turns a year old tomorrow. I know I'm speaking to the choir but I can not wait for this to be over.

You're singing to the choir. Not only has it affected everyone's life, it also has made my job significantly more complicated. I really enjoy public safety/service and had been considering continuing to work past 65 in a couple of years, but I'm now looking forward to retirement.

Here is my Facebook memory from one year ago today.

89534772_3207236162640779_3282396483583737856_n.jpg

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, sbnwx85 said:

Pretty wild to go back to the beginning of this thread which turns a year old tomorrow. I know I'm speaking to the choir but I can not wait for this to be over.

NBA shut down 1 year ago tonight.  I remember when I first heard that and how shocking it was.  And it was only the beginning.  Then came the panic buying.  It's been a crazy year and thankfully the light at the end of the tunnel gets brighter with time.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I have anxiety issues and for some reason wearing a mask has actually made me less anxious when i'm in public. When I go on job interviews, wearing a mask also helps me to perform better.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Snownado said:

I have anxiety issues and for some reason wearing a mask has actually made me less anxious when i'm in public. When I go on job interviews, wearing a mask also helps me to perform better.

I do have a funny mask related story from my aunt.  She was in a store a while back and her old high school friend thought she recognized her and attempted to strike up a conversation.  My aunt didn't feel like talking so she played dumb and acted like it wasn't her.  :lol:

I wonder how long Holcomb is going to keep the statewide mask mandate.  The Biden speech last night made it sound like the timeline for any adult who wants a vaccine has been moved up to May, so factoring in the post-vaccination delay to build up immunity would take us into June.  I think that is a reasonable point to take away the mandate but not sure if Holcomb will wait that long.

• Like 2

Was clicking around the Midwest states and most have pretty much plateaued in cases lately.  Interestingly, Michigan is actually rising.  Earlier on, this would mean plateauing hospital numbers (or rising in the case of Michigan) a little bit down the road but the old rules may not work like they did before with the large number of older people who have been vaccinated.

To me it has been very encouraging to continue to see the weekly decline in cases, hospitalizations and deaths even as the variants are becoming the dominant strain in more and more locations. We all know that we're getting close to a critical mass of people vaccinated and/or immune from prior infections but not quite there yet. 

I think what may be working in our favor is that the people who were most careful and least likely to get covid are first in line to get vaccinated and the plandemic types have already been infected and are already part of the herd. I know this is an over generalization and lots of people who were careful also got infected but I bet this is part of what's helping to keep numbers down. 

• Like 2

I got my first (Pfizer) shot today.  While I had self scheduled appointment a few weeks out, I also managed to get on a waitlist before I was scheduled.  The person running the clinic said I was the last person they would be calling when they had extra shots available.  She said they already have partnered with local EMS to use extra daily doses to go to homebound starting on Monday.  Just 5.5 weeks to full immunity.  Yay!

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Was clicking around the Midwest states and most have pretty much plateaued in cases lately.  Interestingly, Michigan is actually rising.  Earlier on, this would mean plateauing hospital numbers (or rising in the case of Michigan) a little bit down the road but the old rules may not work like they did before with the large number of older people who have been vaccinated.

Exactly.  Increased Testing, Infectivity rates and new cases are probably the best metrics to look at to track the virus in real time now.

As vaccination opens up to younger/less vulnerable groups, I wonder if we are going to run into a "why should I bother" issue if the metrics keep improving.  Having a large supply of a 1 dose vaccine doesn't hurt, but generally speaking it seems like it may be tougher to convince a healthy 30 year old than a 70 year old especially if the metrics keep getting better.

18 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

As vaccination opens up to younger/less vulnerable groups, I wonder if we are going to run into a "why should I bother" issue if the metrics keep improving.  Having a large supply of a 1 dose vaccine doesn't hurt, but generally speaking it seems like it may be tougher to convince a healthy 30 year old than a 70 year old especially if the metrics keep getting better.

I think this has always been the case. There probably isn't a lot of 30 year old who know somebody their age who've known anyone with a case serious enough (hospitalization) to push them to get it. 

34 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

I think this has always been the case. There probably isn't a lot of 30 year old who know somebody their age who've known anyone with a case serious enough (hospitalization) to push them to get it. 

It will end up being just like the flu vaccine. Most younger people (under 30) I speak with don't bother with the shot. It's not until after the first time they get really sick from the flu that they decide to get vaccinated.

• Like 1

I sure hope we can have as close to a normal summer as possible.  

Beyond that... even with tremendously large numbers of vaccinations and prior infections, I think it would be wise to mentally prepare for a rise next fall/winter so it doesn't come as a big surprise and a letdown.  Seasonality factors, plus some percentage of the public remaining unvaccinated plus the potential for more troublesome variants popping up in the coming months (if not in the US then in other countries and spreading here) which may cut into the effectiveness of the vaccines.  

• Like 1

Coincidentally I just came across this.  

It'll be important for stories like this to make the rounds to set people's expectations about the future.  It is natural to want a magical ending where there is no such thing as covid-19.  The good news is that things will be a lot better than they have been in the past year.

COVID-19 is never going to end, experts say

When is this finally going to end? That's the question on many minds after a year of living through the COVID-19 pandemic.

But public health experts say we do have an answer, and you're not going to like it: COVID-19 is never going to end. It now seems poised to become an endemic disease — one that is always a part of our environment, no matter what we do.

"We've been told that this virus will disappear. But it will not," Dr. William Schaffner, a professor at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine and medical director of the National Foundation For Infectious Diseases, tells CBS News.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-19-never-going-end-173300929.html

7 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Coincidentally I just came across this.  

It'll be important for stories like this to make the rounds to set people's expectations about the future.  It is natural to want a magical ending where there is no such thing as covid-19.  The good news is that things will be a lot better than they have been in the past year.

COVID-19 is never going to end, experts say

When is this finally going to end? That's the question on many minds after a year of living through the COVID-19 pandemic.

But public health experts say we do have an answer, and you're not going to like it: COVID-19 is never going to end. It now seems poised to become an endemic disease — one that is always a part of our environment, no matter what we do.

"We've been told that this virus will disappear. But it will not," Dr. William Schaffner, a professor at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine and medical director of the National Foundation For Infectious Diseases, tells CBS News.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-19-never-going-end-173300929.html

It is not going to magically go away. What is the most likely scenario is over time natural+vaccine immunity along with longer term virus evolution, will gradually turn Covid from a virus with relatively high mortality  into an endemic virus (like the other 4 common coronaviruses) with generally mild effects. A few years from now you may catch it but you wont need to get tested for it nor is it likely to send you the hospital, even if you are older. Nor will we need to restrict social activity to keep hospitals from being overburdened/prevent significant excess mortality.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Michigan is the only state in the US seeing a clear rise in metric right now.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/transmission/variant-cases.html

Worth noting that Michigan seems to have a high number of B117 variant cases. Don't know if that's a potential factor. Haven't seen anything specifically comparing the % of B117 cases in MI compared to other states.

Would expect more of this as states pull back on mask mandates.  Just because your governor's mandate is gone doesn't mean that businesses can't still have a mask policy.

Woman Arrested For Resisting, Trespass After Not Wearing Mask Inside Texas Bank

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/03/12/woman-arrested-for-resisting-trespass-after-not-wearing-mask-inside-texas-bank/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Would expect more of this as states pull back on mask mandates.  Just because your governor's mandate is gone doesn't mean that businesses can't still have a mask policy.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/03/12/woman-arrested-for-resisting-trespass-after-not-wearing-mask-inside-texas-bank/

I just can't understand some of these governors 

• Weenie 1

17 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Someone from a few years ago would be very confused reading this headline. 

• Haha 4